Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

Good weapons-based beat 'em ups

by marurun Wed May 18, 2022 1:33 pm

I've got Golden Axe on the brain for some reasons, but in reflecting on the game I enjoyed so much, I'm remembering that the combat action does sometimes feel a little weird. Attacks don't have the clear impact they do in games like SoR. I still enjoy the game very much, however, and it has me wanting more. Are there any other good weapon-based beat 'em ups out there?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: Good weapons-based beat 'em ups

by sevin0seven Wed May 18, 2022 5:03 pm

Capcom's The King of Dragons, Knights of the Round and Warriors of Fate comes to mind. Also SNK's Sengoku series (part 1-3) and of courses the TMNT beat em ups as well.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri May 20, 2022 2:32 am

My favorite has always been the Neo-Geo game Alien Vs. Predator. Too bad you can't play it on that "Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle" they released for home console. Licencing issues make it emulation only I guess...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

by marurun Fri May 20, 2022 9:39 am

Thanks for those reminders. I'm not sure Capcom's breezier play style suits Golden Axe, but GA's older, slower, more ponderous combat would definitely need an update for a modern title. I wonder what would work.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

by opa Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 am

Dragons Crown? I never played it so someone else can chime in on weapon impact but I remember it being a beat em up style game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri May 20, 2022 11:47 am

Also Capcom, but the D&D beat em ups.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Fri May 20, 2022 6:31 pm

Another weapon based beat 'em ups that is good (and doesn't get a lot of mentions) is the Knights of Valour series for the IGS Polygame Master Arcade System.

..there was (got delisted) a PSN HD version for the PS4 too.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
marurun

by marurun Fri May 20, 2022 7:07 pm

The IGs Polygame looks an awful lot like “we want a Neo Geo arcade platform, too!”
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Fri May 20, 2022 8:17 pm

opa wrote:Dragons Crown? I never played it so someone else can chime in on weapon impact but I remember it being a beat em up style game.

It's a good weapon and magic based, action rpg 2d style game. You have a central town and levels/dungeons where you find different characters to fight along side you. you can pick who you want. Each level has branching paths, so you beat the game once and then go through again picking paths to different bosses at the end of each level. It's been awhile but I was hooked on this game. Think guardian heroes but a bit deeper.
Ack

by Ack Tue May 24, 2022 10:41 pm

How about Magic Sword? It feels more action platformer, but it may scratch the itch for a hack and slash.

Conversely, I'd avoid the game Legend on the SNES. It looks nice, but I found the controls poor and the gameplay lackluster. Your mileage may very, but it's not one I would recommend.
Return to Fighters