Street Fighter Questions

Brawlers and Beatemups
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter Questions

Post by nightrnr »

marurun wrote:Some tournaments still won’t allow them, even with updates to prevent pressing opposing directions.

What's wrong with pressing opposite directions? (Other than being an impossible feat on any other controller).
Is it to prevent charging while moving forward or something?
...just another lost soul...
marurun

Post by marurun »

nightrnr wrote:
marurun wrote:Some tournaments still won’t allow them, even with updates to prevent pressing opposing directions.

What's wrong with pressing opposite directions? (Other than being an impossible feat on any other controller).
Is it to prevent charging while moving forward or something?

That's one issue. Basically there's unpredictable results in games developed prior to the Hitbox becoming a thing. Designers were not accounting for the fact that pressing opposing directions could have weird results. Most games developed since, and even Hitbox firmware, now checks for that kind of thing and shuts it down, but the stigma persists.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
zcal

Post by zcal »

marurun wrote:but the stigma persists.

I'm under the impression that tournaments are starting to allow whatever type of controller as long as you can demonstrate input cleaning and that there's no way to disable it (perhaps a tall order).
IMJ
24-bit

Post by IMJ »

I've always wanted a great "fighting stick". I used to be fine with a D-Pad back in the SNES days and then one day - some point after Tekken 3 - something happened where I lost the ability and interest completely to play fighting games on a standard controller.

I have barely touched a fighting game since that generation, mostly because of that.