New joystick for helping to not suck so much

Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

Re: New joystick for helping to not suck so much

Post by marurun »

Getting VERY frustrated with SF IV. Doing the Challenges to try and learn moves and timings, but I cannot reliably chain even simple attacks, at least the way Challenges mode wants me to. Out of every dozen tries maybe one actually links and I don't understand the timing at all. You can't just tap them out. The game seems to want something special in the timing, and it's not something that seems to make sense to me. I am completely stalled on crouching MP, standing LP, crouching HK. I can get the c MP into the s LP link every one in a while, but I can never suss out why it works when it works as opposed to when it doesn't.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate combos that are pre-programmed? I'd much rather combos have a more natural flow. Even Capcom's Magic Series combos were less opaque than this.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

marurun wrote:Getting VERY frustrated with SF IV. Doing the Challenges to try and learn moves and timings, but I cannot reliably chain even simple attacks, at least the way Challenges mode wants me to. Out of every dozen tries maybe one actually links and I don't understand the timing at all. You can't just tap them out. The game seems to want something special in the timing, and it's not something that seems to make sense to me. I am completely stalled on crouching MP, standing LP, crouching HK. I can get the c MP into the s LP link every one in a while, but I can never suss out why it works when it works as opposed to when it doesn't.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate combos that are pre-programmed? I'd much rather combos have a more natural flow. Even Capcom's Magic Series combos were less opaque than this.

You have stated exactly what kept me from going deep into street fighter iv. SF V improves on tge timing with links, but what you need to do in IV is wait until you see the flash of the strike and press the next attack the moment it lands and it is VERY finicky. You being a Virtua Fighter man like myself, I can totally understand how you feel. We are used to everything flowing together and being delay-able by our input. I feel your pain!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have watched a video since that helps put it in some context, but still, I think the very idea of a 1-frame linker is idiotic. Some have tried to argue that somehow that ridiculous skill barrier is necessary for the game to see tournament viability, but that's dumb. Tournament viability is much more related to the number of people playing a game who find it fun enough to stay with it so that there is a community. If a game lacks 1-frames that doesn't make it less technical. Virtua Fighter is proof of depth without 1-frames. In fact, many folks see Virtua Fighter as too technical and unapproachable, and blame that for it not being particularly popular.

I'm going to keep practicing and stay with it, but I really hope that folks in that scene come to realize that accessibility is not the opposite of depth. False dichotomies like that are anathema to good design.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.