The King of Fighters XIV

Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

Re: The King of Fighters XIV

Post by marurun »

I guess if we're being honest most fighting games love their improbable women.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm the guy that won't complain.

And for me Mai, Morrigan, Chun-Li, and Kasumi are some of my favorite characters to use in their respective games!

I just wonder how Mai will work in DOA since she uses her tail thingy and a fan with some maneuvers, I have not played DOA5 yet, but if it's like the originals it's gotta be like purely melee based with no items. I'd like for her moveset and things to be familiar, but who knows how they'll pull it off.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I've put about 10-12 hours into the game thus far, and I'm really not feeling the game. In terms of game feel, it's very off. Reminds me a lot of the Maximum Impact series the way walking, running and jumping feel.

Really hate that the MAX mode doesn't allow for special cancels anymore like in 2002 and XIII. Combos are still going to be important, but without cancelling being present that means all combos will be based on linking juggles which is no longer KOF territory and is instead hyper flashy air dasher Guilty Gear/Marvel territory where you need to put in weeks if not months of practice before you can compete.

I feel like this is going to be a repeat of SF4 for me - no matter how much time I try to force myself to enjoy it and no matter how many chances I give, I get the feeling I'll never be able to appreciate this game at all.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

the7k wrote:I've put about 10-12 hours into the game thus far, and I'm really not feeling the game. In terms of game feel, it's very off. Reminds me a lot of the Maximum Impact series the way walking, running and jumping feel.

Really hate that the MAX mode doesn't allow for special cancels anymore like in 2002 and XIII. Combos are still going to be important, but without cancelling being present that means all combos will be based on linking juggles which is no longer KOF territory and is instead hyper flashy air dasher Guilty Gear/Marvel territory where you need to put in weeks if not months of practice before you can compete.

I feel like this is going to be a repeat of SF4 for me - no matter how much time I try to force myself to enjoy it and no matter how many chances I give, I get the feeling I'll never be able to appreciate this game at all.

You're not wrong, but the game kinda feels like a '98-2k2 hybrid tbh. The models are ofc jank, the animations are stiff and it does look wonky all around. But the gameplay is decent. I am having a bit of trouble short jumping out of dashes but I also play pad and never used a ps4 pad for KoF before, so I am not gonna cry foul just yet.

Shun'ei seems like he will be broken. Nelson is way underrated and Kyo is good af, also.

I honestly look forward to the game. I wish it looked better, since it looks embarrassing side by side with Revelator, but the gameplay is all that will matter in the end.

I'm also hosting a $1000 pot bonus KoF14 tourney in October :) I have that much faith in the game!
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
marurun

Post by marurun »

This game is now on Steam. Anyone tried that out, yet? Does it have impossible 1-frame linkers like SF4? Is it more approachable than KOF 13?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.