Killer Instinct (Xbox One)

Brawlers and Beatemups
Metal Militia
128-bit

Killer Instinct (Xbox One)

Post by Metal Militia »

Anybody been playing the new Killer Instinct for Xbox One? I suck at fighter, but imo this game is fucking AMAZING!! The controls are pretty simple, the training tutorials are fantastic, and it looks and sounds great. This is by far my most played Xbox One game.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: Killer Instinct (Xbox One)

Post by CD AGES »

I don't own an XBone nor do plan to buy one anytime soon (or any of the new consoles for that matter). Anywho I have been playing the KI for quite a bit and I have to say what's currently there as a fighter in general is pretty damn solid in terms of gameplay and its fun to play. DHG is doing a good job and its really wonderful to see another US studio developing a fighter.

Now with said, my major issue about the game is that it feels terribly incomplete...because... well... it is. Only 7 characters (which by the way, one of them isn't even available even for those purchasing the most expensive SKU of the game), no story, no boss, no endings, not even an arcade mode. What's upsetting about all this that continued support for the game isn't a guarantee. Season 2 isn't a sure thing if KI in its current form doesn't make a profit for MS.

Anywho, I look forward to Spinal and Fulgore's release at the end of season 1. FIGHT ON!!! :D
C-Sword
16-bit

Post by C-Sword »

Season 2 is being developed by Iron Galaxy (DiveKick).

Fulgore and arcade mode coming April 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZEXpm ... youtu.be&a
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

at least it's in good hands now. But the damage is done. I want nothing to do with this game
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

CD AGES wrote:I don't own an XBone nor do plan to buy one anytime soon (or any of the new consoles for that matter). Anywho I have been playing the KI for quite a bit and I have to say what's currently there as a fighter in general is pretty damn solid in terms of gameplay and its fun to play. DHG is doing a good job and its really wonderful to see another US studio developing a fighter.

Now with said, my major issue about the game is that it feels terribly incomplete...because... well... it is. Only 7 characters (which by the way, one of them isn't even available even for those purchasing the most expensive SKU of the game), no story, no boss, no endings, not even an arcade mode. What's upsetting about all this that continued support for the game isn't a guarantee. Season 2 isn't a sure thing if KI in its current form doesn't make a profit for MS.

Anywho, I look forward to Spinal and Fulgore's release at the end of season 1. FIGHT ON!!! :D

You forgot to mention that you get all of ^ that for $20. Or it's free to play if you want to play whichever character is free at the moment. It's a matter of scale IMO. Yeah it doesn't have a lot of the cool modes that $60 fighters have, but that's not the model they went for.

TheRev wrote:at least it's in good hands now. But the damage is done. I want nothing to do with this game

I'm sorry but what "damage"? Double Helix didn't do anything that may have annoyed you without direction from Microsoft. I'm fairly certain Iron Galaxy will retain the same direction from Microsoft. To re-word, I don't see how any perceived damage to the brand will change under a different developer that will be tasked with the same directives from the license holder.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

The game simply isn't my cup of tea, not a fan of the sales model they used either. I put about 12 solid hours in when it came out and the game was(became) very repetitive, boring and the announcer voiceovers for everything that happens (combo breakers etc.) is an absolute mess of constant verbal diarrhea, wayyyyy worse than it was in the old arcade games.

Despite my personal misgivings for what KI has become-I think it's showing/hype level/stream views at Evo this year will ultimately decide it's long term fate.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

As psyched as I was about this game, I can't play it for shit with the Xbox One gamepad and I don't want to shell out for the ugly arcade stick.
C-Sword
16-bit

Post by C-Sword »

I currently play the game with a Saturn PS2 controller, I had a converter built using the XBox One PCB.

The game is fun, not as fun as MK9, but I'd much rather play this than Injustice on the PS4.

Double Helix did a pretty good job with the character designs for the most part. The only ones I really don't like are new Jago and Classic Thunder.

As for the gameplay goes, it plays exactly like Killer Instinct should, a lot of emphasis on combos and the different types of Breakers. I do think a Shadow Counter should cost 2 meters instead of 1.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I hope no one minds me bumping on old thread but I don't see a reason to create a new one.

Last Friday, Killer Instinct completed their Season 2 roster and added a new gameplay mode called Shadows. It is simply amazing. For those of you familiar with Forza's Drivatars it pretty much the same idea. You create a "Shadow" character that learns your fighting habits and plays almost exactly like you would. You can challenge your friends Shadows whenever you want, you can challenge your favorite KI streamer's Shadow, or play the Shadow survival mode where you play against random Shadows.

I played around with it all weekend and it is really impressive. What isn't impressive it my Shadow's Win/Loss record but that is mostly my fault for not being very good with the available characters (Shadows currently only work with Season 1 characters + TJ Combo and Maya). I suspect a lot of fighting games are going to copy this mode in the future.

Here's some more info on Shadow mode along with a video from the developers which explain it in more detail. http://shoryuken.com/2015/05/31/killer- ... opponents/

Has anyone else created a Shadow character? My gamertag is Gakamor if you want to challenge me and get an easy win! :wink:
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Season 3 confirmed at Gamescom today!
http://ultra-combo.com/killer-instinct- ... confirmed/

Rash from Battletoads playable now!
http://ultra-combo.com/everything-you-n ... bout-rash/