Killer Instinct (Xbox One)

Brawlers and Beatemups
Opa Opa

Re: Killer Instinct (Xbox One)

Post by Opa Opa »

I'm kind of waiting for the season passes to end before buying this... even the "complete edition" for sale on the xbox store only contains seasons 1 & 2.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Opa Opa wrote:I'm kind of waiting for the season passes to end before buying this... even the "complete edition" for sale on the xbox store only contains seasons 1 & 2.

I'm not sure that I follow your thinking here. Are you just waiting for the game to be "done" before buying? Who knows if Season 3 will be the last? I imagine that the Complete Edition will be updated in content and price when future seasons are released.

If you want to get into it sooner but aren't in a hurry, I'd just wait for a sale. KI goes on sale fairly frequently and there are a couple of price points.

Free-to-play - The free character rotates every month. You can buy characters a la carte for $5 each if you don't want them all.
Season 1 & 2 Combo Breaker Packs - $20 each. Contains all characters per season.
Season 1 & 2 Ultra Editions - $40 each. Contains all characters per season, premium accessories, access to new characters 1 week in advance, arcade ports of KI1 and KI2 respectively.
Complete Edition - Currently $80 and contains everything in Ultra Editions 1 & 2.

So if you wanted to play it on the cheap and have all the characters, I'd pickup the Combo Breaker Packs as they go on sale. I bet you could eventually get Seasons 1, 2, and 3 for $30-$40.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Halo's Arbiter confirmed for season 3 at the KI World Cup!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

My girlfriend just bought a second controller for he XBOne and she asked me to play a two-player game with her. Yeah, she's a keeper.

We chose to play Killer Instinct (both the new~ish game and KI Gold in Rare Replay). Wow, I love Killer Instinct now. Combos are stupidly easy to execute. I can imagine that some folks may dislike that, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Quick Question: It looks like all the season 1 characters are available, and only two season 2 characters are available (one of whom is a dinosaur!). Do I need to buy these characters, or can I unlock them for free?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

If you bought the physical season 1 disc, you'll have all the season 1 characters plus TJ Combo. The second season 2 character is likely the free character for the month. You may have also picked up the season 1 ultra edition when it was the free game with Gold last month.

You can buy the characters one at a time if you wish or get the all the characters with the combo breaker pack or ultra edition (per season). You can only get Omen with the season 2 combo breaker or ultra edition. He can't be purchased separately. Also Shadow Jago isn't for sale at the moment (outside of day 1 xbox live cards).

But yeah, the new combo assist feature is really great for new players. It's not so good for high level play but it great for helping folks get started.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

samsonlonghair wrote:My girlfriend just bought a second controller for he XBOne and she asked me to play a two-player game with her. Yeah, she's a keeper.

We chose to play Killer Instinct (both the new~ish game and KI Gold in Rare Replay). Wow, I love Killer Instinct now. Combos are stupidly easy to execute. I can imagine that some folks may dislike that, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Quick Question: It looks like all the season 1 characters are available, and only two season 2 characters are available (one of whom is a dinosaur!). Do I need to buy these characters, or can I unlock them for free?

I know they at least started using a F2P model and requiring purchase of content packs to unlock additional characters. I *think* you'll need to buy the Season 2 characters, but I can't say for sure since it's been a while since I've fired it up.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I think what they were originally going for was 2 free characters on a weekly cycle similar to what you get in League of Legends or many other F2P games.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

finally got a PC release date: 3/29.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Lots of KI info has been dropped today including some Tusk gameplay. http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/03/01/ki ... y-showcase

I didn't care for him in KI2 but he looks pretty fun now. I can't wait to try him out!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Still the best modern fighter out there.