Best Battle Arena Toshinden game for Psx?

Brawlers and Beatemups
Thermoptic
16-bit

Best Battle Arena Toshinden game for Psx?

Post by Thermoptic »

Witch is the best Toshinden game for the Playstation? Whats your favorite?
cha cha
128-bit

Re: Best Battle Arena Toshinden game for Psx?

Post by cha cha »

I mean, they all kinda sucked. But I guess 3 was the "funnest" and had the most variety to offer... and also Michael Jackson...

But yea, there wasn't much depth beyond really hard to do super moves in the games overall.

So I guess since 3 had the most characters and offered the most 'features', it's the best by default. :mrgreen:

Why do you ask? If you are looking for PS1 fighters, there are many better ones.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I don't know why the series gets so much hate. The only one I ever played was the second one. It's one of the earliest games I got on the Playstation after I acquired one and I had a lot of fun. I even had friends over and they enjoyed it too. The graphics were great for their time. The soundtrack was excellent. The controls were good and the game's enemy AI (if you didn't have human friends to play against) was pretty balanced. For its time, I think it was a good fighter.

The intro with the digititized actors was cheesy, but again, at that point in time it actually seemed kind of cool as I wasn't used to seeing that in games. I was impressed by the one in Resident Evil too.

Later on, my friends would introduce me to Soul Blade, which was cool, but never as fun for me as Toshinden 2 just because I liked Toshineden 2's more Street Fighter influenced gameplay.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I played the first one three years ago. It was really, really bad.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

The 1st one is still my favorite... no idea why other than nostalgia.
Been meaning to pick it up on Saturn again for the cheesy/weird/creepy character dialogue. It was the 1st version that I played.

I own all 3 US releases on PS1 (all CD case size :) ). Toshinden 3 has caged battles (so no ring outs :| ). I do like how you can choose the FPS 30 to 60: you can either play with smooth gameplay or improved graphics (more like choosing blocky/ugly or choppy movement :wink: ). Also, the AI in that game is pretty tame, from what I remember.
...just another lost soul...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Toshinden is horribly broken for playing with other humans. I played it a bit VS on the PS1 in high school, before I discovered Virtua Fighter on the Saturn was a much better fighter, despite not looking as flashy.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Gamerforlife wrote:...the game's enemy AI (if you didn't have human friends to play against) was pretty balanced.

What if I have Alien friends to play against?
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Gamerforlife wrote:I don't know why the series gets so much hate. The only one I ever played was the second one. It's one of the earliest games I got on the Playstation after I acquired one and I had a lot of fun. I even had friends over and they enjoyed it too. The graphics were great for their time. The soundtrack was excellent. The controls were good and the game's enemy AI (if you didn't have human friends to play against) was pretty balanced. For its time, I think it was a good fighter.

The intro with the digititized actors was cheesy, but again, at that point in time it actually seemed kind of cool as I wasn't used to seeing that in games. I was impressed by the one in Resident Evil too.

Later on, my friends would introduce me to Soul Blade, which was cool, but never as fun for me as Toshinden 2 just because I liked Toshineden 2's more Street Fighter influenced gameplay.

I don't understand it either, but it was a great local play game. I've only played the first one, although I think I have one for Saturn that I haven't ever played.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

I guess I am not understanding what you guys don't get? Are you saying you don't know why someone else would think it's a bad game when comparing it to other fighters of it's generation and console?

I don't think many people "hate" the series. I think the vast majority say what I just said- "There are better fighting games out there for PSX". The series was mediocre at best, and just the original BAT is what carried the series. It was the first 'True 3D' fighter on PSX and the first 'weapon based' 3D fighter available until Soul Blade emerged as it's superior. So it's "innovations" carried the series on reputation for awhile, but it's sales and popularity quickly fell off once better 3D fighters started appearing on PSX.

Along with stringent inputs & character imbalance, once the 'newness' wore off there wasn't much to make me "like". Thought I did love the OSTs for the game :)
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.