Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

Brawlers and Beatemups
SplashChick
64-bit

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

Post by SplashChick »

I'm a little leery about posting the link on here with all of this legal drama having only just recently come up, but you can get it from my blog post about it.

http://tortuousgoddess.tumblr.com/
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

^Didn't see that, I sent him a pm to a file search list.

Honestly GFL, I've been wondering why you hadn't had anything to say about this one. Figured you would have been on this like white on rice.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Yeah, I know. Just so many distractions LOL. I'm definitely gonna give it a spin. I don't have a very good computer, but I'm assuming one doesn't need one to play this.

Thanks guys!
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I have 22 hours clocked in on this, haha... wow. :mrgreen:
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

I'm beginning to question how much I really like this genre....

It's kinda weird, it's like up until roughly '95 or so, the usual developers of the genre were starting to really get the better ideas to make it better as things go along. Then once 3D hit they decided "screw it," and the developers that decided to take a crack at keeping the genre alive just decided to keep to most boring/basic concepts.

For example, I've read about how Gaia Crusaders was supposed to be this great title in the genre. I just tried it out maybe yesterday or the day before. Forced myself to finish it. All the game was, was literally punch, punch, punch, kick, kick, kick. There was a jumping attack, which didn't seem all that useful, and a magic attack, when you got a magic element icon(wind, water, fire). Oh, and Sword for a weapon pickup. Overall though, I just found it rather.... boring.

Then we get to Sengoku 3, which uses a similar engine. The fighting is much less boring, but the stages refuse to end in a decent amount of time. I don't mind kicking a ton of ass with a good combat engine, but multiple shorter stages >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fewer never ending stages.

I know I made the Knights of Valour games sound great earlier, but truthfully upon thinking about it, I'd never play these again. Great combat system for a hack n slash, but again, to me it seems the stages tend to drag on.

Also tied out Oriental Legends. Similar fighting system to Knights of Valour, but somehow it just wasn't enough to keep me interested....
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

MidnightRider wrote:I'm beginning to question how much I really like this genre....

It's kinda weird, it's like up until roughly '95 or so, the usual developers of the genre were starting to really get the better ideas to make it better as things go along. Then once 3D hit they decided "screw it," and the developers that decided to take a crack at keeping the genre alive just decided to keep to most boring/basic concepts.

For example, I've read about how Gaia Crusaders was supposed to be this great title in the genre. I just tried it out maybe yesterday or the day before. Forced myself to finish it. All the game was, was literally punch, punch, punch, kick, kick, kick. There was a jumping attack, which didn't seem all that useful, and a magic attack, when you got a magic element icon(wind, water, fire). Oh, and Sword for a weapon pickup. Overall though, I just found it rather.... boring.

Then we get to Sengoku 3, which uses a similar engine. The fighting is much less boring, but the stages refuse to end in a decent amount of time. I don't mind kicking a ton of ass with a good combat engine, but multiple shorter stages >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fewer never ending stages.

I know I made the Knights of Valour games sound great earlier, but truthfully upon thinking about it, I'd never play these again. Great combat system for a hack n slash, but again, to me it seems the stages tend to drag on.

Also tied out Oriental Legends. Similar fighting system to Knights of Valour, but somehow it just wasn't enough to keep me interested....

Someone's jaded. That sometimes happens when you immerse yourself too deeply into any one genre. That's way I like to keep playing different games from other genres, even though I have some I favor more than others(like beat'em ups for example)
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

No, I think I just don't like those particular games.

To shorten what I would have made a paragraph out of here: Get into games, not genres.

That and downloading roms in bulk without having the time to try them until days/weeks/months/years later is a pain in the ass.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yes, mass downloading roms is horrible. I don't support it. :P I do the research and if the interest is there I'll just go for games specifically and that way I usually get around to actually playing them.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Anyone with a mac want to try this out? http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=233&t=7863

I'm currently at work and cannot test. Well... I could, but I doubt my superiors would appreciate it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I do believe I know a guy from another forum that's been playing it on a Mac just fine, though don't quote me on that. lol