Gameboy Photography

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Golgo 14
128-bit

Gameboy Photography

Post by Golgo 14 »

I've been called by some the Ansel Adams of the Gameboy Camera* so I thought I would create a thread to show off some of my pictures. If anyone else is crazy enough to use a Gameboy Camera in 2022, feel free to share as well.

First up is a trio of pictures of pets of mine from 20+ years ago. All long gone, but fondly remembered by both me and my Gameboy Camera's mighty save battery.

NOTE: No one has ever called me this.

marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
opa
128-bit

Re: Gameboy Photography

Post by opa »

Cool stuff. Gonna share more pics of random things? I like this kind of stuff.
Take a pic of the sunset or something. I'm curious about the hardware limitations.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Awesome!

I've never owned the camera, but I acquired the printer somewhere along the way.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

opa wrote:Cool stuff. Gonna share more pics of random things?

Thanks! I intend to. Watch this space!

First I have to go through the saved pictures and preserve which ones I want to keep, so that I can take new photos. I think I originally stopped taking photos with it because I didn't want to delete any that were on there. Some of the pictures are of my ex-girlfriend. How ex? About 20 years ex. Yes, I am a very healthy person! :lol:

Ziggy587 wrote:I've never owned the camera, but I acquired the printer somewhere along the way.

Yeah, I used to have the printer, but I sold it a while back to make space. It was cool in the 90s but at this point I think you're better off taking a picture of your picture on your phone and then printing that out. You could even print them out on sticker paper for the full Gameboy printer experience.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

[quote="Golgo 14"It was cool in the 90s but at this point I think you're better off taking a picture of your picture on your phone and then printing that out.[/quote]
Is that how you got the pictures in the first post?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

SpaceBooger wrote:Is that how you got the pictures in the first post?

Yep! I just got an Analogue Pocket, so I used my iPhone and took pictures of the Pocket's beautiful big screen. I used some of the Pocket's color palette settings, but I don't think that's cheating since the Super Gameboy had things like that way back in 1994.

In the 90s you could buy a device that would transfer your Gameboy Camera pictures to your PC, but I never had one of those.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

If you had a joey jr you could dump the rom and save data to pc. Then boot in an emulator and make screenshots.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I was wondering if any cartridge dumper could do the same. Like a Retrode with the GB adapter, or that new open source dumper.

I think the pics would look better if you scaled them down about 50%, less pixely that way. At least, on my 1080p they look better around 50%.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

A few years back I bought a device from a website called insideGadgets that dumped ROMs and specifically promised to help with extracting Gameboy Camera pictures, but I just couldn't figure out the user interface, so I ended up selling it. At this point I'm pretty happy with the results from my Rube Goldberg Gameboy Camera < Analogue Pocket < iPhone system.

Ziggy587 wrote:
I think the pics would look better if you scaled them down about 50%, less pixely that way. At least, on my 1080p they look better around 50%.

Good feedback! I think I agree.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

And if you don't have a Game Boy or Game Boy Camera handy, there are apps for your phone that can mimic the same look as the old Nintendo accessory. I've had one for a while, and been tinkering with it off and on. It's not quite the same, but they can scratch the same itch, and they're pretty fun. Some of them come with extra filters and color palettes for other systems, too.