Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
opa
128-bit

Re: Rate my 2600 collection/what am I missing?

by opa Mon May 16, 2022 6:13 pm

I'll post my boxes/manuals later. Probably when I go for a game run. Not sure when but I'm gonna go to a game store this week to get more stuff.

Here's my setup. Excuse the mess. As I said, it's quite literally a farm work bench with a tv.

The super famicom w/ everdrive is for when I feel like losing at street fighter 2 turbo, shmuppin', or playing an RPG.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon May 16, 2022 6:47 pm

There's some games that are hard to suggest. Like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. They are piss poor ports on the 2600, but it's almost like you have to experience them to really experience what the 2600 was like. Still, it's hard to suggest those two games since they have MUCH better ports on the NES (for example).

I feel like Frogger is a decent port on the 2600, and I always have fun with that one in short bursts.

Someone mentioned Keystone Kapers... I'll second that one.

I see you have a Super Everdrive in your SNES. If you're open to flash carts, then I would recommend getting the Harmony flash cart for the Atari 2600. It's a good way to try games out before you buy them. It's pretty cheap right now, too. $40 for the basic version and $55 for the "Encore" version. Basically, the Encore version has more memory for larger games. The standard version can play all but 1 officially released games. I can't recall which game that is off the top of my head, but when I looked it up it didn't seem like you would be missing much. The Encore version can play that game, as well as some homebrew games that are larger in size.

https://harmony.atariage.com/Site/Harmony.html
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon May 16, 2022 7:29 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

If, unlike most people who hate on it, you actually read the directions and learn how to play, you’ll find a pretty good game. Regardless, it’s an iconic title, and you should be able to get it pretty inexpensively.

I always liked the 2600 version of Space Invaders too. May want to look into that one.

I own ET, but I don't like it. Opa has Space Invaders, though - last column towards the bottom.
opa
128-bit

by opa Mon May 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks ziggy, I will look into the harmony cart.
Although, the 2600 is a system I generally stay legit on.

I do want an OG pac-man now. LOL

maybe we can trade sometime, o.pwuaioc. lol. I'd take your ET.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue May 17, 2022 7:51 pm

With E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark being movie licensed games, why are there generic people on the box art and game? NIL wasn't a thing back then. Random 2600 question I know.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue May 17, 2022 10:06 pm

The Raiders game features Harrison Ford's likeness on the label and packaging. The E.T. packaging is an illustration that doesn't look exactly like Henry Thomas, but it's not far off. I'd say it just looks like if he were in a comic book.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 pm

Golgo 14 wrote:The Raiders game features Harrison Ford's likeness on the label and packaging. The E.T. packaging is an illustration that doesn't look exactly like Henry Thomas, but it's not far off. I'd say it just looks like if he were in a comic book.

I don't think it looks like either one lol. Not even close. I looked at some other gen Indiana Jones games and it's Ford. I was just curious. Example, Ghostbusters had the real actors on the cover art
Last edited by stickem on Tue May 17, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue May 17, 2022 10:37 pm

The Raiders art looks pretty close to me. What say you, racketfolk?

The E.T. box is more artistic, but it doesn't *not* look like Henry Thomas in the movie. He was just a little kid and it was probably less important that they get a spot-on likeness for the label. E.T. was the star there.

marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue May 17, 2022 11:01 pm

I'll give you raiders kinda looks like a b movie knockoff lol. I don't think Elliot looks like the actor though. Just weird they pay for the license and don't use the actual people. I'm being a little OCD, I just thought somebody might have a legit answer. I seen a person on Facebook atariage with a copy of E.T. with the actors autograph and was like, dam he signed a picture that wasn't even him.
opa
128-bit

by opa Wed May 18, 2022 7:03 am

I think Raiders looks good for an illustration. ET is kinda passable.
Return to Other Platforms