Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Rate my 2600 collection/what am I missing?

by Jagosaurus Wed May 18, 2022 12:52 pm

I tend to gravitate more towards the 7800.

Agree with River Raid.

If you weren't aware, very active homebrew scene for everything Atari. Check out below homebrews & licensed reprints from AA:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l= ... _list&c=21

I also always have to acknowledge Halo for the 2600 :shock: . Microsoft actually officially okay-ed this. It was developed by Ed Fries who worked at MS Game Studios during Halo Bungee times.

https://youtu.be/4GDZsFQ_haQ

I also enjoy Mario Bros on 2600 although much better on 7800. To see what the 2600 can be pushed to... check out Princess Rescue. Still impresses me!

https://youtu.be/o5igUFICNB0

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
opa
128-bit

by opa Wed May 18, 2022 6:48 pm

I will check out the homebrew scene eventually. It's been on the to-do list but I want to focus on the main releases I've missed so far.

Just making a post of everyone's suggestions for my convenience for when I go shopping. lol

Dark Cavern
Defender I & II
Demon Attack
HERO
Kaboom!
Pitfall II
River Raid
Seaquest
Spider Fighter
Turmoil
Keystone Kapers
kaboom
stampede
donkey kong
crystal caverns
phoenix,
jungle hunt,
Mario bros
Frogger
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed May 18, 2022 9:11 pm

Frogger and Mario Bros. definitely have better ports. I think the latter might be interesting if you're really into that sort of thing, but it isn't the definitive version to get. Maybe NES or 7800 would be a better choice.

Frogger has a near perfect arcade port on the Genesis. That's my go-to for it. Everything that came before pales in comparison.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed May 18, 2022 9:37 pm

There were two version of Frogger for the 2600. The Starpath version is pretty remarkable, though getting a Starpath Supercharger working is probably not trivial. I have never tried, nor have I actually seen one in real life.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu May 19, 2022 7:04 am

So I was just reading... Apparently the Harmony flash cart can load Supercharger games, you just need to convert the WAV to BIN first.

Here's a post with a download attached that has all of the Supercharger games already converted to BIN format for play on a flash cart.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/27754 ... nt-4007618
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
opa
128-bit

by opa Thu May 19, 2022 8:02 am

That's cool. Good luck finding legit Supercharger anything in 2022. Lol

Edit: of course after I make this post I noticed that you can find this stuff on ebay. Still, not sure I'd trust Atari cassettes to be in working condition after all this time.
Last edited by opa on Thu May 19, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu May 19, 2022 8:22 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:Frogger and Mario Bros. definitely have better ports. I think the latter might be interesting if you're really into that sort of thing, but it isn't the definitive version to get. Maybe NES or 7800 would be a better choice.

Frogger has a near perfect arcade port on the Genesis. That's my go-to for it. Everything that came before pales in comparison.

I'll have to give the genesis frogger a go then. I picked it up years ago but never popped it in. Looks like the screen is cropped with stats on the side though. I like the colecovision port. But I guess if you're going for best ports of anything you'd skip the 2600 altogether.
opa
128-bit

by opa Thu May 19, 2022 8:26 am

I think I've said this before but I think Joust on 2600 is more fun than the arcade.

I like the floating egg mechanic and the player doesn't feel as heavy (less flapping).
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu May 19, 2022 7:49 pm

opa wrote:That's cool. Good luck finding legit Supercharger anything in 2022. Lol

Edit: of course after I make this post I noticed that you can find this stuff on ebay. Still, not sure I'd trust Atari cassettes to be in working condition after all this time.

Well if you have the Super Charger cartridge, you can load the games from anything that can output audio. Like a tablet or cell phone. But I guess that takes the fun out of using original hardware, especially the novelty of loading from cassette.

The tapes though should be in fine condition as long as they were stored correctly. I have a lot of (audio) cassettes from the 70's and 80's that are still perfectly fine. Although I do have one or two that has mold in them, which is kind of an annoyance to clean, but not beyond saving. Even with the mold, they would probably play just fine, I just don't want to contaminate my player. Another thing that could go wrong with cassettes is that little spring with a felt pad, but those are also fixable.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 am

Late to post and didn't read any replies yet;
Wow, nice collection! You got some I rarely see and a lot of the great ones.
Here's my votes in order of importance as I rank carts you can find commonly in the wild:
Video Olympics (pong)
Seaquest
River Raid
Vanguard
Centipede
Defender
Dig Dug
Frogs and Flies
Of course, these are what I grew up with as my dad collected carts like he collected vinyl records - gotta get them all. He had all the good box art bad games too.
I should have some duplicates you're missing from my recent game-store walkthroughs trying to find better labels for my favorite Activision games. I'll PM you once I sort everything out; Happy to mail you what I don't need.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Other Platforms