So I got a Phillips CDi...

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
noiseredux
Next-Gen

So I got a Phillips CDi...

Post by noiseredux »

Hello, folks - hope everyone's doing well!

So I managed to find myself a cheap Phillips CDi. Before you extend your condolences, I should say that I've always been interested in this console. I actually knew someone who had one in high school, and played a fair amount of Tetris on there along with a few other games (I want to say that I played a bit of one of the side-scrolling Zelda's, but my memory is fuzzy on this one and I may just be conflating it with watching videos of them later). At any rate, I've always found the history of the system pretty fascinating along with the weird Nintendo IP sharing deal. But at the same time, I never wanted to pay what CDi's were going for.

So as it happens, I managed to grab a working unit cheap. It's unfortunately the 910 which is gigantic and not as cool and console looking as the 400 series. I have no games for it yet, and am not even in a big rush to dive into this thing at the moment given how busy I've been. But I'm still excited to have one - about as excited as anyone can be to have one, haha.

The console does have a few issues, though...

1. The CD tray does not open/close on its own. I assume this is either a broken belt or motor, but either way, the drive is tested and boots games, but you have to operate the tray manually. Low priority, I'd think, if it works overall.

2. The pricey DVC was not included. No shocker there. Eventually I'll want one, as about half of the CDi games I'm interested in require it. But I can be patient, as shown by the fact that it took me however many years to wait for a cheap console.

3. It came with a "good" controller - one of the ones that looks like a Gravis pad. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work, and there's a cut in the cable which I'd wager is the issue. (There's also some rattling from inside the controller, so who knows). I have no idea if this can be fixed, or if I'll need to be on the look out for an also expensive controller replacement.

...anyway, I know at least a handful of members here are in the CDi club (Michi?), so any feedback on those issues is welcome.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: So I got a Phillips CDi...

Post by Gunstar Green »

Why did you do this to yourself? Hasn't 2020 been bad enough? :lol:
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I've always had an interest in the more obscure CD consoles of the early/mid 90's but I have yet to pull the trigger on one unless you count Sega CD. I knew a kid way back in middle school that had a 3DO. He insisted that it wasn't very good and I was better off with a SNES or Genesis. He was probably right but damn if I wasn't jealous.

You are probably right about #1 though. I would check on the belt first. Replacement belts are pretty easy to find on eBay and won't set you back too much. I wish I had some better advice for you but I know almost nothing about the minutiae of the CDi.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think Pippin would be my stupid market failure console/web top of choice, but I'm sure CDI will present you with some fun exploration.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Congrats(?), Noise! It’s good to hear from you, and I hope you’re doing well. I also wouldn’t mind having a CD-I just so I could play Hotel Mario and the off-brand Zelda games. I don’t anticipate tracking one down anytime soon, though, and unfortunately, I have no idea how to help you with those issues.

(In case anyone’s interested, my failed console of choice is the Emerson Arcadia 2001.j
Ack

Post by Ack »

Noise, be careful! I hear The Joy of Sex has a train in it!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Virtual Boy and CDi were my two failed consoles that I want, but don't want to spend what they go for, so for the past couple years I've been casually keeping my eye out for either at low prices - usually systems that needed some work, or parts, or whatever. And this CDi just happened to be the one I found first.

Of the issues this console has, the one I need to address first is the controller. And that's more of a ANY CONSOLE question: is there an easy way to fix a controller wire for any system? It looks like someone took a box cutter to the controller cable, but not all the way through. Has anyone ever repaired a controller cable for any console? It'd be nice if I could get this controller working, as it's far more preferable to the lousy TV remote style ones.

Ack wrote:Noise, be careful! I hear The Joy of Sex has a train in it!

the mental picture of said train literally made me lol. Good job.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I found one a few years ago with IR remote, looking through a house fixing to be demoed at a construction site I worked on. Was used as a cd player most likely. I may add it to the giveaway thread soon. Tried out a few games I wasn't impressed with and certainly not enough to track down a better controller. It's either the above or donate it to my local mom and pop video game store.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: So I got a Philips CDi...

Post by noiseredux »

so this CDi might be in worse shape than I thought. I tried to play an audio CD in it last night just to confirm it works, and it just makes a grinding noise and the LCD displays "ERROR," so I don't know. Some quick googling revealed multiple possible issues with the drive, and I'm not sure when I'll have time to open it up and mess around or IF I even have the skills to figure it out. I guess we'll see. So for now, I technically have a CDi, but I'm not sure it works at all.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I wonder if anyone is working on an ODE for the CDi? In the interest of preservation, I find that quite necessary.

It's interesting talking about the CDi and Virtual Boy... those are 2 Nintendo related systems, one official, yet has no Zelda game, and the other has Zelda games (in name and characters if nothing else), but isn't a Nintendo system.

And I guess that's my criteria for a true, "whole" Nintendo system: official and has its own Zelda game(s). I suspect that I would have a Virtual Boy if only there was a Hylian adventure to be had.

Finally, I remember playing on a CDi once, I think at Best Buy. It was one of the Zelda games and I was using that remote type controller. It felt like a PC game at the time, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just different.
...just another lost soul...