How to play the iOS version of Shadowrun Returns?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
BomberDino
8-bit

How to play the iOS version of Shadowrun Returns?

Post by BomberDino »

Apple's App Store no longer lists Shadowrun Returns on a newer iPhone/iPad with a 64bit-only release of iOS. If I use an older iOS device that can't be upgraded -- like say an iPad 2/3 -- will Shadowrun Returns show up in the App Store? If not, is there any way to sideload on older iOS devices like you can on Android devices?

I guess this could be a general question: How can I install older iOS apps that haven't been updated to 64-bit? If I purchased them back then, will they show up on older devices if I log in with my iTunes account?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: How to play the iOS version of Shadowrun Returns?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BomberDino wrote:If I use an older iOS device that can't be upgraded -- like say an iPad 2/3 -- will Shadowrun Returns show up in the App Store? If not, is there any way to sideload on older iOS devices like you can on Android devices?

I guess this could be a general question: How can I install older iOS apps that haven't been updated to 64-bit? If I purchased them back then, will they show up on older devices if I log in with my iTunes account?

I’m not sure if the game will still show up in the App Store, but it might. You should be able to re-download older titles, though. Several games I purchased did not survive the 64-bit app-pocalypse, but I was able to load them onto my daughter’s first-generation iPad.
BomberDino
8-bit

Post by BomberDino »

Have you been able to download previously undownloaded games on the 1st gen iPad?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BomberDino wrote:Have you been able to download previously undownloaded games on the 1st gen iPad?

I actually have not tried that yet...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Apple does do a pretty good job of keeping around older apps, but nothing is guaranteed. I'm still mourning the failure of the Doom RPG to transition to 64-bit.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BomberDino
8-bit

Post by BomberDino »

I tested with an iPad 2, 3, and 4 today. If you have already downloaded the app with an iTunes account before it was delisted, you can download it again using that same account. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

The other option is to find the package somewhere and install on a jailbroken device. I don't go near sites with old packages, however, due to virus/malware concerns. And I'm not sure how you would go about paying the developers in that case, either.

This exercise has made me view physical releases in a whole new light.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BomberDino wrote:This exercise has made me view physical releases in a whole new light.

Except a lot of physical releases these days are still dependent upon checking in or downloading extra data. We're in a place right now where no game has the same available life of cartridges, physical or no.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.