Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
icedout06

Buying my first arcade machine. Suggestions?

by icedout06 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:36 pm

I am looking for simple cab design, 2 player, small enough to fit in an apartment(Bartop or smaller full size or at least easy to transport and get through tight doors)
I havent used emulators much, so i am open to suggestions for that aswell. would like to get classic console games along with the arcade games so probably mame?
$800 is the most i want to spend.

I am just getting into emulators and multicades and not really sure where to start. or maybe things to avoid?

I dont really want to build it myself unless MAYBE it all just comes in pieces that i plug together.

I am pretty new to this so any help is appreciated. thanks !
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Buying my first arcade machine. Suggestions?

by bmoc Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Modding an Arcade1Up Street Fighter cabinet will keep you well under budget and it doesn't take up a lot of space. I've heard of people modding them with a Pandora's Box 5/6 or RetroPi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl_58GQcQB4
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:05 pm

Maybe get lucky, find a Neo-Geo mini cabinet, it's caberet style. I think they came in 1 or 2 slot style, looks much like its larger normal red cousin. You get the system, smaller, and with the cart slot so you can have an entire arcade worth of games in one system. Or if you really go budget, buy the 161in1 and get around 95 unique non-hacked games. That would keep you busy a long time with that variety and fairly light being a small cabinet.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:49 pm

I am backing Bmoc on this. Arcade1up is the easy way to do this. $300 new for a cab, $100 in parts for a pi, video controller, and some ZD controllers. And a couple hours of work and your cab can play most any pre 96 arcade game.

The backup plan would be one of the bartop kits off ebay that are CNCed out of birch or pine. They are easy enough to build with basic tools and can be modified for whatever you need.

As someone who has owned many full cabs and still has two, the Arcade 1up is a perfect place to start and see if it scratches the bug. You can always upgrade and sell off the Arcade 1up, or just make it a dedicated cab for a few games after you build your dream setup.
Return to Other Platforms