Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
kitkit.com
8-bit

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

Post by kitkit.com »

Congrats! How many more MVS carts are you planning to get?

Tanooki wrote:
I've added more goodies in this month due to a couple lucky pick ups, 5 more MVS games in July. I'm up to 39 carts.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well those last five were Garou Mark of the Wolves w/Andro Dunos both in shockboxes. Before that was 3 Count Bount+Captain Tomaday+Blue's Journey. The month before that was Shock Troopers w/mini marquee and also Top Hunter with all the kit contents but not the box/bubble bag for it.

Aside from The Super Spy I before that pile of games I hadn't added any in awhile.

I retired the 161in1 it looks like it can cause trouble if you're an unlucky sort, not worth it to me keeping it plugged in there.

Where I'll stop I have no idea, but I'm cooled off bothering now unless I see a deal that shouldn't be ignored. I do really need to get a hold onto Sengoku and also Panic Bomber as I have orphan marquees for those and they're fun games. I'd like Neo Bomberman as well. Outside of those, a couple cheap fighters both AoF1 and SS1 I'd like to snap up whenever I feel the need.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

It's a rare thing for me to add a new NGPC game these days given the scarcity of the games I still need to acquire and my refusal to partake in the current price madness so I was very pleased to find a guy in Mexico who appears to have found a box of these and is selling them for a reasonable £45 each. Delivery took two weeks and the game is in perfect nick and appears to have never been played.

R1 is another game that scalpers seem to have decided has quintupled in value over the past five years and while it had a legitimate low run as the first NGP game to be produced of the monochrome series it's nice to see someone selling at a fair price and not trying to be greedy.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Neat. I've been thinking of wanting R1 and more so SS1 for the old NGP but they're painful to grab and I have no sentimental attachment so I won't buy into the madness either. I have it on my NGPSD kit though so it's usable at least. I do wish to find a loose color Baseball Stars still but I won't go over $15-20 for it and it usually hits $25+ due to dumb dumbs being impatient.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:Neat. I've been thinking of wanting R1 and more so SS1 for the old NGP but they're painful to grab and I have no sentimental attachment so I won't buy into the madness either. I have it on my NGPSD kit though so it's usable at least. I do wish to find a loose color Baseball Stars still but I won't go over $15-20 for it and it usually hits $25+ due to dumb dumbs being impatient.

I have no attachment to or knowledge of the sport of baseball but last year I decided that the number of baseball games I owned was ridiculous given this and resolved to learn how to play and beat one. I chose Baseball Stars Color and did just that. Now I absolutely love it, so much so that I recently played through the (identical) B&W version for completionisms sake. It's become one of my favourite games on the system and there is a lot to unlock on it (as there is on most NGPC titles). It's definitely worth picking up the color version, but you are right, it shouldn't be expensive as it was mass produced and is super common.

I'm up to 38 NGPC games now and the most money I've ever paid for any of them was about £60 for the UK clamshell Neo Baccarat as an investment only. It's possible to dodge the scalping stupidity, you just need to have a little patience.

R1 has always been on my radar because like SS1 it's an exclusive that was never remade for the NGPC line-up. I've thought about grabbing a JAP SS1 for a while now but, again, the fools hoarding these have long ago decided that the pricing should match the UK versions, something i'm not prepared to buy into.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

You've done well for yourself, I think 60GBP is around like $75US more or less, not bad at all for a complete game.

I don't have just 20 here plus the kit. If you saw my old write up on just that I got 14-15 of them in a lot along with the system CIB for a really smooth price so I couldn't buy it fast enough. :) I think the most I've dropped is maybe $35~ +/-$5USD for a loose one, and I paid $46 for a CIB Biomotor Unitron which usually is that loose.

Of my old collection I lack Rockman, Cotton, and Baseball Stars(color.) The baseball game I'll get, the other two the prices blow so not very likely since I have the kit.

You chose a hell of a franchise to use to get into or not with baseball gaming. There's little better than it from an unlicensed fun standpoint. You should at least youtube the stuff, but Baseball Stars NES(#1) and also arcade Baseball Stars 2 (Neo Geo MVS) if you want to see something really fantastic. The arcade game parallels the handheld very well while the NES one has moments like it, but also allows you to be the total manager/owner of the team swapping/trading players if you wish and setting up your own roster -- or just playing a whole season or one game. The Arcade one lacks the manager/owner aspcet, but has the coach timeout/swap out for players batting/pitching.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Look at this madness! £320+ for Magical Drop Pocket for NGPC.

This game cost me around £40 from an actual online retailer only a couple of years ago! Now it seems to be passing Evolution in terms of its legend.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEO-GEO-POCKE ... true&rt=nc
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yup there are a few games people are getting intentionally predatory over on the NGPC. Biomotor Unitron is another that goes for just $50 loose and double that complete, but that's more recent too. Cotton which the crooks online want to make people think is both rare and only released in Japan is in both answers bs, it was well released and also in the US (I bought it retail new in the day.) Now because of gaming people that's another one that goes like $100+ loose and 2x or more complete and that's Japanese, hate to think what a US one would roll for so I don't even look. A few had been legit high in the first place like the failed US english releases of Faselei and Evolution only in Europe as they'll get into the hundreds, yet for some bs reason Megaman/Rockman gets like $75+ loose and 2-2.5x that complete and it wasn't some limited run though Japanese based it was easy to buy cheap for years inthe US again until very recently. Stuff like that is why I have that NGPC SD Kit from RetroHQ.

And on the subject of it I'm looking to probably get rid of 6 MVS carts, well 4 legit, 1 semi-legit conversion, and the 161in1 multicart too. I don't use them, won't use them, and have no interest in shelf ratting the stuff. When they do go I'll use the list tied in this thread last updated in May and pretty much go from there even if some of it may be a hair lower than the usual it rolls on ebay for now.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Is there any sort of website out there that tracks production runs of games (even estimated). It would be really interesting to compare production runs to the actual fantasy pie in the sky prices that certain games are now attracting.

It used to be standard knowledge that Evolution (PAL) and Cool Borders (PAL) were the most limited run games on the system and the former commanded the highest price because it was the better game and the only way to enjoy it in English. Recently however, people seem to think that much more common stuff like Gal's Fighters are just as "rare" despite showing up every five minutes on Ebay.

Perhaps MDP was one of the lower end production runs but it's a freaking puzzle game that doesn't require English and is commonly available in Japanese (where idiots have also now begun selling it for ridiculous prices).

I'd love to get my hands on production information to establish once and for all what the true "rarity" of NGPC games is/was.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Picked up a Japanese cart of Cool Borders Pocket today for £20. Not bad at all considering today's prices and the fact that it's a dual language game so plays completely in English.
Annoyingly I can't find a way to reset the games data which is a problem with certain NGPC titles although thankfully the previous owner didn't get too far.

It isn't anywhere near as bad as I'd heard it was and I wonder if some of this comes from comparing the gameplay to the usual selling price. Wierdly it reminds me almost of Paperboy in it's isometric avoid-em-up style gameplay.

Glad to finally add it to my collection. 39 and counting.