Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
ToastyCostanza

Saturn RegionLocked Street Fighter Collection

by ToastyCostanza Fri May 15, 2020 1:36 am

Hi guys, I went through quiet the journey trying to find a rom for the american release of street fighter collection on the saturn and after going through a bunch of websites not touched by human hands since 2004 I found a zip file with a bunch of bin's and cue's that I had to merge somehow and low and behold the copy I burnt booted! Here's the problem: I HATE THE AMERICAN VOICE ACTING.

Proposed solution: Find a Japanese ROM, patch it so it'll run on a US Saturn and bobs you're uncle right? WRONG.

After getting the J ROM patched It booted on my US saturn but: A. It's in english still and B. THE VOICE LINES ARE TOO.

I heard that the game has both the english and japanese voice lines hidden in it's code and I guess that would explain what a J copy switched to english on me but if that's the case is there either a hidden in-game menu where I can switch the voice lines or is there a way to modify the rom before I burn it to a disc?
Ziggy587

Re: Saturn RegionLocked Street Fighter Collection

by Ziggy587 Fri May 15, 2020 7:07 am

Do you have an Action Replay, or any other way of booting imports? Try leaving the game set to J region, then maybe the language will still be set to Japanese?
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
ToastyCostanza

by ToastyCostanza Fri May 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, on paper yes that would work however I’m not in a position to obtain an AR cart
marurun

by marurun Fri May 15, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm not sure any Saturn title changes its content based on the console region. To the best of my knowledge, the system region only affects the boot check. That may just be the way the game sounds on Saturn.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri May 15, 2020 4:07 pm

You can try it in an emulator. Just be sure to hard set the emulator's region to Japan, then make sure your game image has the region set as Japan, then you'll know what's going on.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 am

If you have a mod chip in your Saturn, use this Region Patcher - I used this for playing the English version of the Gradia translation.
I have not used it for many of my import burns since they use the ram cart and I use my Action Replay.

https://madroms.satakore.com/#SRP
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm just curious: what voices are annoying you? I was under the impression that the character voices in the game are the same regardless of region, I don't remember any real spoken dialog.
The only American voice acting I can think of that would be different is the announcer saying "Street Fighter Alpha 2" instead of "Street Fighter Zero 2" on the title screen and a couple character names when they win a fight.
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media