PS2 - FreeMcBoot USB Booting

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Sano
Next-Gen

PS2 - FreeMcBoot USB Booting

Post by Sano »

Alright, I have some 32GB Flashdrives I bought. I want to load them with ISOs to boot directly from freemcboot. I know I do have the correct applications/software on my memorycard that is modded with freemcboot to do this.

Basically what I need help with is how do I figure out how to name the ISO correctly to get the openGL or whichever thingy reads the ISO? I know they have to be named a certain way, so can someone please help me out on how I go about doing this?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 - FreeMcBoot USB Booting

Post by Jagosaurus »

I answered you in our monster PS2 mod thread but it quickly got buried. Hope below helps. The app you need to boot PS2 isos (via USB or HDD) is OPL. Below is aimed at USB loading on OPL and respective naming scheme. You can just rename the file in Windows. No fancy software required.

If you want to load PS1 via USB (on a PS2) you us POPStarter which is an entirely different can of worms.
Jagosaurus wrote:
Sano wrote:My question has probably already been answered on here, but there is a LOT of text to go through for my simple question... so sorry in advance.

Question: If I load PS2 ISOs onto a USB drive and have FCMB, can I just run the games off the USB drive or do I need to do something special?

Correct as s8n said. OPL will directly boot .isos. No proprietary format such as .xbe with xbox. You have to name the file correctly and have the folder structure in place. Keep in mind that as my USB got more and more cluttered with emus and other mod files, I had a few booting issues. I recommend a dedicated OPL USB for game booting. You obviously need ULaunch.elf on your FMBC mem card to boot programs directly off USB :]

Place DVD and CD folders in the root in capital letter. Most games will be DVD, put there. Place "blue disk" games in the CD directory.

Name the game such as:
SCUS_973.99.GodofWar.iso

That naming scheme is only needed for USB. SLUS_xxx.xx or SCUS_xxx.xx . There is a program that names them for you but I just looked at my covers or checked artwork online. It is written on the spine. That is app is overkill to me.

Compatibility on USB is lower than HDD, mostly due to USB 1.0. Some games required modes enabled which as simple as going to the OPL menu (with game highlighted) and activating a mode. They have a lot of games listed but not all. Check here:
PS2 Compatibility List has a new dedicated site & easy to search GUI:
http://sx.sytes.net/oplcl/games.aspx
Table/chart is mobile friendly.
Main: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=175

PS2 Home forum has latest versions of OPL. It should be OPL 0.9.3 which has a nicer interface as well. Go to OPL subforum and hit "OPL Project - v0.9.3 [Official Release]" thread.
Forum: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/index.php

HOPE THAT HELPS! 8)

I obviously need to work on my image hosted :roll:. That is the second time photobucket has randomly done this to me. I had a photo of the games correctly named for USB that would've been nice.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

I am very thankful for that tutorial... but the part I don't follow is how you get the game ISO to read like this "Name the game such as:
SCUS_973.99.GodofWar.iso"

How do I know what the SCUS_###### is?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sano wrote:I am very thankful for that tutorial... but the part I don't follow is how you get the game ISO to read like this "Name the game such as:
SCUS_973.99.GodofWar.iso"

How do I know what the SCUS_###### is?

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p1103810

The SLUS or SCUS code is printed on the artwork, but I would only go by that for games I bought myself brand new so that I could be sure it's the correct code for the game (and versions, region, etc) that I have.

You can put the PS2 disc in your computer and browse the contents, you'll see the SLUS code. If you don't have the disc, you can open the ISO image with 7-Zip and view it that way. Alternatively, you can mount the image with a virtual drive and browse it that way. Just different ways of accomplishing the same thing.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ahhh gotcha. I didn't understand you didn't know how to grab that number. I started mostly with ripping my own collection so the spines were easy to find. For games I DLed, I was Googling images of the artwork. Ziggy's method would've been much easier for those :).

Often if I started Googling a popular game such as God of War SCUS... the remainder would turn up in the auto search as well.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5