Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm, it might be an interesting mod to replace the console's game save data memory with something non-volatile. Perhaps something larger, as well.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

MrPopo wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Okay, reading back through all these pages to confirm... did we ever land on a final verdict on keeping a save manager on a flashed cart of any type?

As I understand it, flashing a standard Saturn cart does not give you any sort of save manager functionality. The Gamer Cart from that one website DOES give you save manager onto the internal SD card.

What about using an Action Replay Plus 4mb?

I have 2 Saturns, one chipped and the other is the model that is hard to chip - so no chip. I would like to flash the Action Replay if I can still use it as a ram cart and store saves... or ram cart at least and change batteries when needed.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

That's what we were abbreviating as AR cart on previous pages. Seems you lose the back up save/save manager.

Meaning you'd have to swap between two ARs:
1. With flash mod to play back ups/CDRs. Saving directly to internal battery.
2. To move save files over to. Ensuring if CR battery dies, you don't lose saves.

Not sure if you lose the 4mb RAM functionality. Would have to re-read thread & refresh my memory.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

From what I have read it will not save, like you said, but someone said the ram would work. I was hoping someone here, since I trust our community more, would know for sure.
The battery in my Saturn seems to last 100 times longer than the Dreamcast so I would be willing too loose the save function.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

You don't lose the ram function, just save. I would hate to have to keep swapping out carts to move saves. You're asking for that slot to eventually fail or be temperamental.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, I've personally had my SS batt die and my AR save back up... well, save me :lol:

I know someone who lost 80 hours in Dragon Force due to no save manager.... :shock:

I also noticed the batt seems to die faster of you don't leave your SS plugged in, which I don't.

Save batt in DC? Your VMU can still hold saves if it's beeping at you (indicating dead batt). You just can't play mini games or check it when console isn't on. Right? I think the one I use now beeps at me but I don't lose the saves.

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Yeah, I've lost alot myself leaving it unplugged. I just leave my saturn plugged in now.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I was halfway through disc 4 on Panzer Dragoon Saga in college when my save was erased. It took me five years to muster up the gumption to play it again.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I always heard PD Saga was fairly short (like 7-12 hours). A fresh battery should do nicely for that game at least.
Most games don't absolutely require long term saving, and the battery save is a nice Saturn option that the PS1 never had.
Dragon Force and SFIII Trilogy really do need a memory cart though.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I always thought it was odd not all games that save allow you to save directly to an official memory cart.

I've never owned an official one but assuming you had to use the save manager for games that can't save to cart.

Then it's also weird the AR doesn't support saving directly to it, even for games that support it on an official cart.

:roll: ... head spinning yet? Well, there's also a floppy disc peripheral that some games support saving to.

Yeah... I'd say the PS1 at least had it more standardized. The onboard, interchangeable battery (versus soldered) is nice but Sega seemed to definitely be figuring out saving.

How does the 3DO handle it with no memory cards, assuming onboard SRAM or something of the sorts? I never heard any issues about saves failing on that system.

Regarding the main topic, I need to research that GAME cart more. That may be my best option. You guys are right about wearing down the SS cart slot overtime swapping 2 ARs.