[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
opa
128-bit

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Post by opa »

So if I'm reading this right, if I go the cheaper route and get a super everdrive x5 I'll miss out on these heavy hitters:
Mega Man X2,3
Pilotwings
Super Mario Kart
Ballz 3D
Kirby Super Star
Mario RPG
Mario World 2
Star Fox

But most everything else should work well? Really I just want to play Chrono Trigger, Actraiser, and Harvest Moon (and maybe random off the wall stuff)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote:So if I'm reading this right, if I go the cheaper route and get a super everdrive x5 I'll miss out on these heavy hitters:
Mega Man X2,3
Pilotwings
Super Mario Kart
Ballz 3D
Kirby Super Star
Mario RPG
Mario World 2
Star Fox

But most everything else should work well? Really I just want to play Chrono Trigger, Actraiser, and Harvest Moon (and maybe random off the wall stuff)

Correct, the Super ED X5 doesn't support any enhancement chips. Here's a list for reference...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ment_chips

But yeah, most everything else will work fine. Kinda sucks that there's a few really good games you'll miss out on, but the X5 is also really cheap right now on the official Everdrive store...

https://everdrive.me/cartridges/spedx5.html

You could try and find an older flash cart that supports DSP, then at least you could play those games. The older Super Everdrive and SNES PowerPak could optionally have a DSP-1 chip installed to support those games. There was also a version of the Super Everdrive that supported all of the DSP chips, but I'm not sure how common it is to find that one second hand because it wasn't around as long.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

All right, cool. I'm gonna give the X5 a try. Mario RPG is a definite loss but, dang, when I checked last year the X5 was 80 or 90 dollars (iirc). I like the current price for sure. Especially if it handles a good portion of the library.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Got my super everdrive in. Seems to work great. Looks a lot more professional than the carts I used back in the late 00's. Really glad to be able to play rpg's in english on my sfc.
Thanks for the help, ziggy
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

When Doom 0.1 port for the Mega Everdrive PRO came out, I searched for a pack of lossless tracks to make the full .WAV bundle (it only comes with the shareware set in SC-55 rendering) and came up empty.

The port is using the FPGA to stream the output to the Genesis PPU as video while poling the controller for input, but I still want to give it a full playthrough as well as can be experienced on the hardware.

Since I couldn't find a full pack of music I'm making the bundle myself. I'm mostly done the OPL3 pack, but it turns out that as part of the 32x map expansion mod of Doom for the 32X, The Spoony Bard has made new renditions of the Final Doom soundtrack on the Genesis.
Once I'm done making a WAV pack of the OPL3 set, I'll be taking the best of the OPN2 covers from fans I've been able to find and comparing them all against the 32X tracks to make a custom hardware-accurate sounding pack with at least 80% less farts.

I'm posting this here because I'm too lazy to ask for permissions to release this. Anyone who wants it, just PM me and I'll hook ya up.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Krikzz released a new version of the Super Everdrive, the X6. It can do everything the X5 can do, but it also supports DSP games. The X5 is now only $55, which is a great bargin. The X6 is $79.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

So that's +$29 extra for the DSP priviledge. A bit more than I'd prefer, but not too bad (pretty much consider it Mario Kart access).
$55 for the regular cart does blow my mind a bit though. I love how affordable base models are.
But I'm set anyway with other carts.

So I just got my MSDEXP side expansion for my Mega SD. I haven't tried any 32X CD games yet (and won't for a while). But so far, it's been a bit glitchy. It won't load Lunar, as it freezes at the opening video and doesn't allow you to skip past it (continues playing the music though). I tried loading different bios's, put it on accurate CD reading, and cleaned the side port contacts, all to no avail.
The other game I tried, Robo Aleste, works more or less, but has some odd video glitching outside of actual gameplay (the text on the title screen is jumpy and some minor hiccups in animation videos).
The Mega SD loads Lunar up fine from the cartridge port.
Not sure I trust the expansion (kind of regretting the purchase right now). Maybe a future update will fix it?
...just another lost soul...
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I guess I should mention that the forum at Terraonion has been decimated in favor of discord. So I can't even see if anyone is having issues with their MSDEXP.
Why are people destroying the best resources on the internet? Community help and open forums are my main source of info when I'm troubleshooting.

I prefer to avoid discord. I am way too non-social for that.

Am I the last of my kind? (just being dramatic here).
...just another lost soul...
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have nothing against Discord, but forums keep a more accessible record for other people to share in.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Dig the SNES ED X6 pricing. Wow.

So I'd personally really be missing these 10 titles. Think I'm okay emulating those to save 100 bucks to next tier jump with SD2SNES.
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3 (also on PS1)
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Mario RPG
Yoshis Island/Mario World 2
Star Fox
Doom
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Star Ocean (JPN or translation)

Am I missing any notable? Ballz 3D & racing FX dirt racing games aren't big draws for me :lol:

Also, worth noting the NES N8 is down to $89 now. Really well priced. Would need to go back & look at what Pro adds but IIRC it got a 20 buck price drop.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5