BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
sgtpepper

Re: BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Post by sgtpepper »

Fantastic guide: very detailed and comprehensive. I am failing in getting the saturn to read more than the audio track, however. I have tried different games and different brand discs but only can get the aduio to play... Anything I might be doing wrong?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

sgtpepper wrote:Fantastic guide: very detailed and comprehensive. I am failing in getting the saturn to read more than the audio track, however. I have tried different games and different brand discs but only can get the aduio to play... Anything I might be doing wrong?

When you put your burns in, does the Saturn display the message “Game disc is unsuitable for this console” or do you only get the audio tracks? If you get the "unsuitable" message, that's because the disc region doesn't match the console region (use Saturn Region Patcher to change the region and reburn). If you only get audio tracks, it could be a number of things.

First, have you ever gotten ANY burns to work on the Saturn? If not, it could be that the burns are fine but your method for booting them isn't working. Are you using a mod chip or the swap trick?

Do you have any legit retail game discs? If yes, do they work?

I'm assuming you're downloading your images, so there's the possibility that they could be broken. If you have any legit retail discs, try ripping one to BIN/CUE and then burn that image to a disc and see if it works. This way at least you'll know the image isn't the problem. If that doesn't work, then the problem is most likely with the method you're using to boot burns.

What brands of CD-R have you used? What speed have you tried burning at?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

fyi the screenshots are dead thanks to Photobucket's shenanigans.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yes, I'm aware. Thanks, though. The guide published on the main site is mostly OK, since Racket didn't host the images on Photobucket. The only pic that is down is the one for Sega CUE Maker, and the ImgBurn write screen in the OP. I've been slowly fixing my broken Photobucket images, but I haven't gotten around to these yet. Reason being is that I may update or even rewrite the guide.