Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
marurun

Backing up your digital games as the storefronts close

by marurun Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:41 am

It may be time for Racketboy to wade into guidance for folks in how to back up their digital games now that storefronts are being closed. I know with the 3DS it's easy enough to just copy the files to a PC (though those files will only work with the source console). But what about WiiU or Wii or non-Nintendo consoles? How do we retain access to and control of our digital games once the channels for downloading them again are gone?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Backing up your digital games as the storefronts close

by Anapan Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:18 am

Problem is legality. All digital downloads from all storefronts have already be archived, and are easily found online. Can't talk about it is all.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Gucci
64-bit

Re: Backing up your digital games as the storefronts close

by Gucci Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:56 pm

All I’ll say is that the preservation of gaming is incredibly important and consider myself lucky that myself and everyone has access to a vast amount of games from up to the 7th generation of consoles, with the portable console space being highly represented in the last generation I mentioned, something that I have a lot of love for (had a lot of fond memories playing the DS and PSP).
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media