Source for solid Sega Genesis case cover/inserts?

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Source for solid Sega Genesis case cover/inserts?

Post by racketboy »

Blu wrote:A heads up on Sonic & Knuckles -- they've started to make rumble pak cases like Pokemon Pinball for GBC, but for Sonic & Knuckles, they just cut the tabs on the case. When the irregular-sized cart latches into the box, it won't close fully.

Oh -- thanks for the heads-up on Sonic & Knuckles.
How bad are we taking on the not-closing situation?

Another little update -- I'm not 100% sure if it was like this when it arrived or happened since (although I haven't handled it much), but the back corner of my Ristar case chipped off. I ended up swapping the case with my old Alien Soldier reproduction case. The Alien Solider plastic felt more authentic anyway, I just disliked the rest of the reproduction aspects of it such as the printing. But because that case had the chipped corner, the artwork insert started getting kinda worn in the corner as well.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

It's not awful by any means. To clarify, it's just the typical Genesis case they send you on this one, this was about a year ago, so I don't know if they made a separate injection mold for it.

When you close it, there's a little bulging. With that bulging, it makes it so the corner clasps have a hard time fastening. I can get it closed, and it sits on the shelf just fine. But a little squeeze, and it will pop open like an Easter egg. That's my only case that I have a concern about.

I can deal with a few chips here and there that have happened over the years. A manual clasp popping off on a N64/SNES case, or a manual tap on my Game Gear case has happened. I typically am inclined to reach back out and order a couple more blank cases when that happens.

I have most of my original clamshells for Genesis. And I love that since I got rid of most of my cardboard Nintendo boxes (I am but yet another foolish person who in my early teens, tossed my Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and N64 games). I like that they're a good quality case that helps the shelf appeal of my collection!

https://imgur.com/a/CT9PkHQ <- Semi-recent picture of my collection.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

OK -- I'll give it a go for Sonic and Knuckles.
It doesn't sound like they had adapted past the "modded" approach for it, but that's ok. I'll just be happy as long as it sits nicely on my shelf and doesn't get annoying.

So I ordered and extra 9 Genesis cases to take advantage of their Labor Day Weekend sale -- including picking up a case for Mega Bomberman, which I don't own a cart for yet, but is a nicely-priced original cart if you don't care about scoring the cardboard-only packaging. That will complete my Sega Bomberman trilogy of Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast :)

I also ordered a GBA and GB case just to test them out. Starting with a couple of my favorite carts and see how I like them before possibly getting some more later on.

Thanks again for the extra feedback!