Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
racketboy
Site Admin

Source for solid Sega Genesis case cover/inserts?

by racketboy Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:40 pm

Does anyone have nominations for seller of excellent-quality Sega Genesis case/cover inserts that seem like spot on with official (and fit official cases)? Mostly looking to pick some up for games that I don't have cases for (or came with cardboard boxes) like the Vectorman games, Ristar, Comix Zone, etc.

I don’t know if anybody prints on paper that’s anywhere like the original Genesis case inserts with that little bit of gloss and does a good job of color matching. I’m cursed with color OCD and I also have a strong dislike of cardboard boxes.

I'd also love ones for Sega CD games that go in the standard jewel cases for games that came in cardboard cases like Sewer Shark, Final Fight, etc. However, I realize that might be a taller/less common order
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Source for solid Sega Genesis case cover/inserts?

by Note Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:46 am

I've been looking into this a bit as well, for both sellers that reproduce SNES boxes for my own games, and to help a friend with some Genesis cases as he has Comix Zone and Sonic and Knuckles loose and was interested in getting cases for them.

In regards to Genesis cases, this site Custom Game Cases (https://www.customgamecases.com/) has plastic clamshell cases with artwork for games that originally were released in a cardboard box.

They also have an Etsy page with good feedback: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomGameCases

Also, while searching on Etsy, I came across this seller Game Case Guy, who does have Sega CD cases for both Sewer Shark and Final Fight: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GameCaseGuy.

Hope this info helps!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm

Nice Etsy find!
I had seen the CustomGameCases guy, but some of his cover artwork choices and some of the pictures made me nervous.
One of my contacts from another project let me know his print quality was "pretty good" and his cases themselves were really good.
So I placed a "test order" of 3 cases to see how they turn out. Will report back ;)

I'm hoping the red bars end up matching real stuff on the shelf. Would be a shame if they stick out to me.

Thanks for the follow-up and if anyone else has some experience with similar repro stuff, please feel free to post feedback!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:15 pm

Hope everything with your order on the Custom Game Cases site goes well! Yeah, please keep us posted on how the quality of the cases and printed covers are.

If I end up ordering from one of the vendors or hear anything else from my friends also into the hobby, I'll post it here as well.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:35 pm

Just got the order from CustomGameCases in last night!

For reference
* Vectorman, Vectorman 2, and Ristar are the CustomGameCase reproduction cases I ordered
* Alien Soldier is an old repro I get elsewhere

Overall, they do make a good impression.
However, I will have some nitpicks

They look great on their own. However, they almost look too vibrant perhaps? Or maybe all my originals are just more faded?
With that being said, they look WAY better than my old Alien Soldier reproduction. I always disliked the kinda flat/dull coloring and print quality on that. So these are a real step up.
2022-08-24-13.51.02.jpg
2022-08-24-13.51.02.jpg (594.82 KiB) Viewed 5391 times

2022-08-24-13.51.11.jpg
2022-08-24-13.51.11.jpg (653.64 KiB) Viewed 5391 times

It's hard to capture the quality of the front, but it's a great cover print -- very vibrant and sharp. Especially good with Vectorman, considering the original had foil. However, the Sega seal is possibly less "golden"?
2022-08-24-13.55.07.jpg
2022-08-24-13.55.07.jpg (584.13 KiB) Viewed 5391 times

Probably my biggest consistency complaint is the "Sega" logo at the top of the spines are not consistent with the Sega logos on my originals
2022-08-24-14.20.22.jpg
2022-08-24-14.20.22.jpg (533.07 KiB) Viewed 5391 times

You could also say that the strip placement on the spines don't really match any others on my shelf.
However! Looking at my Genesis collection in general, it's surprising how inconsistent Genesis spines are in terms of logo placements, etc.
But the Sega logos usually are consistent on the red spines, so that's why that bothers me the most.

So with all that being said, which points stick out most to you?

Other overall feedback:
Case quality seems nice
The outer clear layer of the case feels just a bit more glossy/slick than the real thing. Noticeable difference in the touch if you know the cases well.
Paper stock and gloss seems consistent with real inserts.
If you only had cases from CustomGameCases, you'd probably really like the consistency. However, they do red spines on ALL Genesis games -- even official Sega stuff that ran in the black/grey era. That choice kinda bothers me.
marurun

by marurun Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:39 pm

GENESIS seems to be in a slightly larger font as well. It's just a tad longer than the originals. That said, because they are reproductions it's probably appropriate for them to have mild visual differences so they can't be mistaken for the originals.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:38 pm

marurun wrote:GENESIS seems to be in a slightly larger font as well. It's just a tad longer than the originals. That said, because they are reproductions it's probably appropriate for them to have mild visual differences so they can't be mistaken for the originals.

Yeah, I don't mind some minor things that are different for the sake of counterfeit attempts, but I do have OCD on my shelf at times :) I think the thing I was most worried about was the red stripes feeling like they belong on my shelf. That Alien Soldier of mine just never felt like it belonged on the shelf.

Also, for what it's worth, I really love that the two Vectorman games looks so good next to each other :)
It makes me very happy to have nice plastic cases for my favorite games that were only sold in cardboard boxes, but it also makes me feel better if it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. I like it if my brain can be tricked to think it's a "real" unit from an alternate dimension :wink:
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:58 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated on how your transaction went! I think the cases look pretty good, the only item that kind of bothers me is the different color blue for the Sega logo on the spine and the thickness of the white outline around the logo, but I do graphic design work, so I can be nit-picky about that type of thing.

Overall, they look nice on the shelf amongst your other games!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:47 am

Thanks! Yeah, after letting it sit in my brain, I think I may be ordering more for some other games like Sonic and Knuckles, Comix Zone, my 6-pak and probably Contra Hard Corps (I know it was also sold in both cardboard and plastic case, but I have the cart and don't feel like springing for an authentic case). And yeah, I think if I could change anything on them, it would be that Sega logo. I also wish they made consistent cases for older games in the black/grey style.

I also wish they made 32X cases. I realize it may not be worth the investment for making a mold specifically for 32X games.
Perhaps I should have jumped on my idea many years ago to buy up a bunch of complete 32X NBA Jam TEs, which came in plastic cases.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:27 am

Thanks for the in-depth review, Nick! I am also partial to customgamecases. I have a few of each of their offerings. I'm most impressed with their NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy/GameBoy Advance, and Game Gear cases.

I really like the Genesis ones, but I too have the same gripes. I wish they made the original black grid artwork, and the tint and hue sometimes bothers me too. However, the quality of the cases is quite good as a whole package.

A heads up on Sonic & Knuckles -- they've started to make rumble pak cases like Pokemon Pinball for GBC, but for Sonic & Knuckles, they just cut the tabs on the case. When the irregular-sized cart latches into the box, it won't close fully.

I hope they eventually do 32X cases, because they've done Virtual Boy cases, it gives me hope they'll do a low print run solely for 32X.
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media