Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

by Jagosaurus Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:47 pm

So I have a DS Lite I'm looking to get a R4 Card to run DS ROMs. What's the best R4 for the Lite? Any compatibility issues on DS games? I won't be running on a 3DS.

Not a whole of interest in running R4 hypervisor there for GBA outside of fun. Understand limited compatibility there.

I see Krizz carts for GBA. Any1 try or hear much from Omega EZ Flash (Amazon link below)? Looking for something to use in GBA slot as well 8)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCKW4CF/re ... X58RDQ048Z

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:11 am

AFAICT all the really well made (if you could call them that) DS flashcarts are no longer being manufactured. From what I read now, there are some options, tho none like the Supercard DSTwo, or the M3 Real DS Perfect bundle.
Best bet seems to be a "R4i SDHC Gold Pro" (2020) - a clone of the last real model from the original manufacturers who disappeared a while ago. They all(?) come with a timebomb that will cause them to fail 2 years after they shipped, but flashing a non-stock firmware can fix that. It's the main topic over on r/flashcarts https://www.reddit.com/r/flashcarts/
If you can get ahold of a Slot 2 device (mine is from an EZ Flash 3-in-1), the DS can play all(?) the GBA games off your DS flashcart by loading them into the Slot2' card and booting into GBA mode.
Looking at the features and reviews, the EZ Flash Omega is an impressive cart that is as good as the Everdrive, tho maybe not quite as well built quality-wise. I've been tempted to buy it and the junior for a while, tho they'd just be shoved into spare GBA and DMGs.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:09 am

Jagosaurus wrote:So I have a DS Lite I'm looking to get a R4 Card to run DS ROMs. What's the best R4 for the Lite? Any compatibility issues on DS games? I won't be running on a 3DS.

Not a whole of interest in running R4 hypervisor there for GBA outside of fun. Understand limited compatibility there.

I see Krizz carts for GBA. Any1 try or hear much from Omega EZ Flash (Amazon link below)? Looking for something to use in GBA slot as well 8)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCKW4CF/re ... X58RDQ048Z

I use R4 Gold and have never had an issue with it. Works great for me. I don't remember what site I bought from, but this is what I have. Definitely get a GBA Everdrive for GBA stuff. I bought all of my Everdrives from StoneAgeGamer.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:43 pm

I finally got around to setting up and trying out the EZ Flash Jr. and EZ Flash Omega. I haven't tried the Definitive Edition of the Omega so I can't comment on it.

The Jr. works great. The shell is sturdy & the Real Time Clock works fine. The battery is only used for the RTC function and it's easily replaced.
It can do everything the Everdrive GB X5 can do plus the RTC. I found no difference between the two as far as booting roms and running them on various consoles. I didn't find any major complaints about it on any forums or reviews.

The EZ Flash Omega's case is flimsy, but otherwise it exceeds the functions of my Everdrive GBA.
There is a huge database of thumbnails and cheats for mostly all the games provided on the company website that is easy to edit and add on to.
Notably, the kernel (operating system/menu) is open source, and there's an actively developed modification to the official build which adds a lot of functionality.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-theme-f ... ga.520665/
I tried a lot of things and found this flash cart to be far more capable. The upgraded plugin system (borrowed from PogoShell) of the modified Kernel can load a lot more files natively rather than manually making GBA roms for each file type as I had been doing. There's nothing wrong with the Everdrive, but this cart is much cheaper and I couldn't find any real complaints about failures or functionality on the usual forums.

Supported Game ROMs (Emulators for GBA):
.gba - GBA ROM
.bin - GBA ROM
.mb - GBA Multiboot ROM
.agb - GBA ROM
.col - ColecoVision ROM (Requires Cologne)
.gb - Game Boy ROM (Goomba Color)
.gbc - Game Boy Color ROM (Goomba Color)
.gg - Game Gear ROM (SMSAdvance)
.rom - MSX Cartridge ROM (MSXAdvance)
.ngp - Neo Geo Pocket ROM (NGPAdvance)
.ngc - Neo Geo Pocket ROM (NGPAdvance)
.ngpc - Neo Geo Pocket Color ROM (NGPAdvance)
.nes - NES ROM File (PocketNES)
.pce - PC-Engine ROM File (PCEAdvance)
.sms - Sega Master System ROM File (SMSAdvance)
.sg - Sega SG-1000 ROM File (SMSAdvance)
.sv - Watara Supervision ROM File (Wasabi)
.ws - WonderSwan ROM File (SwanAdvance)
.wsc - WonderSwan Color ROM File (SwanAdvance)
.z80 - 48k ZX-Spectrum Z80 ROM (ZXAdvance)
.c8 - Chip-8 ROM (Chip8Adv (My First Emulator! :D))
.arc - 4kb Emerson Arcadia 2001 ROM File

Supported media formats:
.jpg - JPEG Image
.jpeg - JPEG Image
.mod - ProTracker Module file
.bmp - Bitmap Image
.pcx - ZSoft Paintbrush PCX image
.mid - MIDI sequence
.nsf - NES Music file (Nintendo Sound File)
.vgm - SMS/GG music file
.vga - aPlib Compressed SMS/GG music file
.vgl - LZ77 Compressed SMS/GG music file
.txt - Text Document
.wav - Wave Sound (formatted in GSM 6.10)
.k3m - Krawall Advance Sound
.sb - MaxMod sound bank
.lz - LZ77 Compressed Image
.raw - Uncompressed Mode 3 Bitmap
.ap - aPlib compressed Mode 3 Bitmap
.bgf - BoyScout module
.mda - Sharp X68000 Music
.cwz - CWZ Music (IDK what exactly it is, but it was included with PogoShell 1.2)

Both cartridges are quality products that I couldn't really find fault with and I'm glad I bought them both.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:48 am

@Anapan, thanks for the info on Omega EZ. Know I had expressed interest in it above in chain.

Any input from the group here on PSIO vs XStation compatibility today?

Are there any glaring issues between them on games working & not? I recall awhile back PSIO consistently updates (Tempest X3 added was discussed back on this chain).

Looks like PSIO kit is $125 versus $100 for XS.

Back story - After some laser swapping & ribbon cable ext fun, I now have a spare 7501 with serial port. System is good but the laser is touchy, so been considering PSIO. Looks like there's a slim chance the mobo revision (PU-18 needed) on 7501 could work on XStation also. Need to tear down the system again to confirm.

Thanks!

Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:28 am

So I haven't been keeping up with all the updates, but the last I checked, the PSIO doesn't have 100% game compatibility while the XStation does. The XStation also seems a little easier to use as far as setting up your SD card, particularly the way multi disc games work. But as far as motherboard revision compatibility, the PSIO will work with any revision as long as it has a parallel port (right?) while the Xstation only works with specific revisions of the mobo (so far). And of course, the PSIO retains optical drive functionality while the Xstation replaces it. IMO, this makes it easy to choose which one is right for you. If your biggest concern is game compatibility, then go with the Xstation. If you want to retain optical drive functionality, then you have to get the PSIO.

Personally, I went with the XStation. I picked one up when they launched, but I actually haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Which is kind of dumb, in case it's DOA, I'm sure it's far past the point that they would replace it for me. But I just haven't been able to decide which revision I want to install it in, since I have a few. I have a 1001 with a dead drive, so I should probably just install it in that.

Also worth noting is the MODE, since it added PS1 compatibility. Although it's significantly more expensive than the other two. I know the MODE has 100% compatibility with Saturn and Dreamcast games, but I don't know what the compatibility is for PS1 games.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:46 pm

Great info Ziggy. I stumbled upon some drama in both camps, pro-PSIO & pro-XS. I need to dig in more lol.

I found some solid info on 7501 revision where you can tell of you have PU22 mobo quickly. I do. So Xstation a no-go on my spare.

The SCPH-750x generally came with a PU-22 motherboard. There seems to have been at least one batch that were assembled with old PU-18s though. The quickest way to tell is to turn the console upside down with the controller ports facing you and look at the plastic bosses protruding from the case on the left side (these are the ends of the posts the screws go into) - if there are 3 of them (two near the feet and a third one slightly below the middle of the case) then you have a machine with a PU-22 board. If you only have the two bosses near the feet then it's the old screw pattern and may have a PU-18 (although the PU-20 has the same mounting pattern

-u/OldBoredEE on r/psx

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:56 am

Probably the XStation is the better product. I went with the PSIO, and the chip installation was quite difficult - cleaning microscopically thin traces and soldering equally thin single-strand wires to them.
As far as compatibility goes, I never had any problems when playing a variety of games. Granted, I haven't fully played through any of the handful of games that problems are still being reported on, but work is still actively being done to get those last few timing bugs solved without introducing new ones. No idea if they'll ever all be fixed. Some only show up after hours of gameplay. I'm still quite happy with the PSIO.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:58 pm

At least they give you good wire to work with.
I installed 2 PSIO's successfully. I don't consider myself a pro, but I will say it's not a beginner mod. It does give me more confidence hearing that many find it a difficult mod (there was some cursing during my install, I assure you).

I've been afraid to tackle my Xstation install though.
Soldering wires on the PSIO gives you more flexibility, but that Xstation board has to go on just right.
Plus there's a cap removal or something and I hate those tiny ones. Not a huge fan of lifting microchip legs either.

But I suppose it also comes down to need. I was totally stoked about PSIO when I got it (couldn't help myself and I had an effortless compulsion to drive me to work on it), but now that I have that working, Xstation is just a 2nd option.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:05 pm

For the PSIO switchboard, there are alternatives out there. Voultar uploaded this one to OSH Park...

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/Zi53kA47

If I'm understanding this correctly, this version of the switchboard solders onto the parallel and then requires only 4 wires to be soldered. There might be other alternative switchboards available, this is just the one that I happen to come across randomly.

I never looked over the installation for the PSIO. So you have to soldering to traces? Can you not follow that trace back to something easier to solder to? Like a via, or side of a resistor or cap, or something like that.

And as for the XStation install regarding lifting surface mounted IC pins, yeah, that's totally the reason I haven't gotten around to installing mine yet. I know we've talked about this once before in this thread. Lifting pins makes me so nervous, because I once broke a pin off from lifting it (very easy to do after a wire is soldered to the floating pin). I've talked about alternatives, but I can only think of two and they both also have downsides. One is remove the entire chip, then you can easily and neatly bend the pins up, then solder the chip back down. Not so hard if you have a hot air station or Chip Quik (I have both) but also not a totally desirable thing to do. Or, leave the pins soldered down and cut the traces going to them, then solder directly to the pins. This is good because the pins wont be fragile and at risk of breaking off, which is especially a concern after a wire is soldered onto them, but also not always easy or even possible. If the traces are crowded, cutting them will be hard or impossible without damaging surrounding traces. Or if the PCB is more than 2 layers (which it probably is) you might not have access to the trace you need to cut.

But yeah, I'll eventually get around to doing it. I'll probably just lift the pins, I'm just not looking forward to it. I've got other consoles I need to mod/fix first though.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media