Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
Nert
8-bit

Re: Post Pictures of Your Favorite Arcade Cabinets

by Nert Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 am

I've been a fan of rhythm games since the guitar hero fad, but this game, sound voltex, looks intense. Been kinda drooling over it these past few days and it makes me sad that it's Japan only. Maybe a few machines made it to North America but not sure I'll have a chance to play this. If you like rhythm games check it out on YouTube, it is a spectacle.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:41 am

Hooray, another rhythm gamer!
I was playing Sound Voltex last night actually; there's a machine at my local arcade. I don't really understand the game as much as Beatmania IIDX, but it's still fun. One of my favorite aspects is that with the "Real Generator" add-on, the machines can print out physical collectible cards. There's some mechanic to this that registers the card to your eAmusement account and I *think* they have some sort of effect but I don't understand it and just like having a bunch of cool-looking cards.

If you want to see if there are arcades by you with a machine, try Zenius-I-vanisher's arcade locater. You can narrow it down by country/series to just show Sound Voltex games. They're still pretty uncommon though; almost exclusively a Round1 thing.
Nert
8-bit

by Nert Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Hey, thanks for the link! That will be an excellent resource. But alas, it appears we don't have any machines in the Toronto(Canada) area.

But yeah, Rhythm games are great! I played a ton of Guitar Hero 2-4, and then when rock band came out I really enjoyed the drums. It became a pain having all these plastic instruments around, they were expensive and broke too easily (especially the original rock band drums) So I kinda stopped playing stuff. I know I enjoyed the genre a lot, just haven't kept up with it. Until a couple weeks ago when I accidentally stumbled upon one of those Konami competitions where they showcase all of the rhythm games from Bemani and it blew my mind.

Pop'n Music, Museca, Beatmania, Sound Voltex, they all look like so much fun. Just a pain to be able to play at home, or even as a Canadian, finding an arcade :lol:

I did also discover K-Shoot Mania which is a fan made version of SDVX, so I'll probably get into that. But Pop'n, IIDX and Museca also look like so much fun. Now I find myself in the rabbit hole of custom controllers for this stuff and figuring out how to set it up at home.

Look at this beautiful controller for SDVX, $400 :(

Ninjamaster
16-bit

by Ninjamaster Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:11 pm

My favourites are Dragon's Lair and Sega Rally:

My collection Updated 2021: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31763
Return to Arcade