If you're an indie dev or author of a game, book, film, or other production, this is where you can pitch it -- just don't be spammy!
ulao
8-bit

Bliss-Box Bridge

by ulao Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Hey all, looking to make this fun...

Looking to talk a bit about a new product called the Bridge and make a running Bridge challenge thread.

What is the Bridge?

he Bridge Connects a 4-play in single mode or Gamer-Pro and sends controller data to a console. The Bliss-Box Gamer-Pro and 4-Play are USB devices that are intended for a USB host. However in the same way the BlisSTer works, all Bliss-Box devices can speak a universal protocol over two wires. The communication can take place over the USB lines without disturbing USB hardware. When you connect the Bliss-Box Bridge to a Gamer-Pro or 4-Play, it begins sending controller data at a fast rate of 500us per request. That is twice as fast as the fastest USB poll-rate. The Bridge takes this data and then speaks to the console. The console now controls the polling rate (typically 16ms) and while the console waits for the next poll, the Bliss-Box gathers the payload.

So what does this mean? It means you can use any controller you want, on any console...

Where can I get one? Why at Bliss-Box.net of course.

What do I need? Other then a drawer of controllers and rack of consoles, you need a Bliss-Box Gamer-Pro or 4-Play. that is how you read the controller, the Bridge talks to a console.

What is the challenge?
I'm looking to see what controllers you want to see emulated on what consoles. The Bliss-Box only supports controllers and maybe a few other peripherals but no keyboards or mice. It has to convert to joystick data. but it can emulate almost anything if the timing demand is reasonable.

examples:
paddles on the switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMpZM_aIm24

Analog stick on the intellivision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJeOz1Dzmds

pippin on saturn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KelYLpxnJTk&t=9s

wii draw on mario paint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZHlu1XgETQ=9s

You name it, I will try it.
Last edited by ulao on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Bliss-Box Bridge

by Anapan Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:10 am

Great to hear from you again! Amazing mouse emulation! I have been enjoying all of your products (well, I haven't plunged into MiSTer yet). Still love using the Saturn 3D controller for all the single-analog games I can.

Just to verify, this is for old consoles, not a MiSTer, right? It would not benefit any emulation unless a different device were used to translate it back to PC?

If I had a couple of Smartjoy Frag, it could interface two PS/2 mice with a Nintendo?
PM me your address and I'll send you one from Rich (He is the only seller as he bought them all)

Is there any adjustment in the dead zones when you translate analog to digital?
Can you emulate the "stick-to-axis" way Madcatz controllers did in their late-model analog to digital polling? (again, I'll send you one if you tell me where to send it)

You know about the Cronus, are these in any way compatible, like would having one enhance your product, or is it a completely different thing and completely incompatible?

Does this involve flashing new firmware onto your Blissbox, and that enables this new functionality?

Does it have Bluetooth built-in?

Can you post a picture of what these two devices look like together with ms-paint diagram of what is going where?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ulao
8-bit

by ulao Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:21 pm

Oh weird I kept getting a spam threat for my post I didn't know this actually posted?

Just to verify, this is for old consoles, not a MiSTer, right? It would not benefit any emulation unless a different device were used to translate it back to PC?

Well yes and no. Its for it all. Xinput, usb, ps3, conses, you name it. Though, no it will not give you much advantage over the Bliss-Box Gamer-Pro other then the poll rate or 4-Play. Unless you want xinput.

If I had a couple of Smartjoy Frag, it could interface two PS/2 mice with a Nintendo?

Looks like a ps2 to usb with xbox's mangled descriptor. If I got that right not sure how this could help?

Is there any adjustment in the dead zones when you translate analog to digital?

Yes, I have to deal with that very thing. I imagine tweaking will be needed but there is code to figure it out. Inside the firmware it tries to calibrate to the 0-255 range, and mark out the dead zones. There is room to save to eeprom if configuration is needed later on.

Can you emulate the "stick-to-axis" way Madcatz controllers did in their late-model analog to digital polling? (again, I'll send you one if you tell me where to send it)
May need to know more about this. Can not find much online in that search.

You know about the Cronus, are these in any way compatible, like would having one enhance your product, or is it a completely different thing and completely incompatible?
I own one, they never worked with BB, and the current author actually stole the code from titan one and does not really know much about it. the titian one guy just gave up. Kinda' too bad. But It would be considered a competitor if anything. It was one of the reasons I made the bridge, since that thing never worked for BB.

Does this involve flashing new firmware onto your Blissbox, and that enables this new functionality?

As long as you have 3.0 it works but it is always recommended to use the latest BB firmware. It does not require anything special

Does it have Bluetooth built-in?

No, but I'm still thinking of ways to use BT. Bliss-Box also has a thing called the A,I.R that is a wireless trasn/recvr (planned for production this year). Though you are really adding up the device in using all 3. the Bridge may get a BT face lift in time depending on its success.

Can you post a picture of what these two devices look like together with ms-paint diagram of what is going where?

the only difference is the sticker.
Attachments
bridge overview small.jpg
bridge overview small.jpg (160.84 KiB) Viewed 7718 times
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:59 pm

I was about to say I want one, when are they coming out, but then it was Bliss-Box.net bought - I missed that on the first post!
Can't wait to try it out - you made another awesome must-have.
I'll be on your forums as I try different combinations. Very excited!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Creator's Corner