Balance of post-2000 consoles/handhelds in article queue?

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
racketboy
Site Admin

Balance of post-2000 consoles/handhelds in article queue?

Post by racketboy »

So as many of you know, my first new article after my hiatus was Games That Defined the XBox
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/microsof ... osoft-xbox

I've since worked on renovating the Rare and Valuable NES Games
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo ... -nes-games

I have a lot of prospects for new guides and more renovations, but I'm curious your opinion on the percentage of posts that I should devote to the likes of PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/DS/Wii/etc. We need to flesh out our guide library, but I also don't want to dilute the "retro" feel too much.

Thoughts?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Balance of post-2000 consoles/handhelds in article queue

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Oh yeah, you send me something to edit a while back...

=X I'll get on that....
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I think the only egregious omissions from that group you selected are that there are not any 101 or Defining articles for the PS2. But it does have Rare, Affordable and Hidden Gem articles. At the very least I think there should be a 101 for the PS2.

And I'd love to see more for the DS, but since you can still play those games on the 3DS it might not be considered quite retro enough for most.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Michi wrote:I think the only egregious omissions from that group you selected are that there are not any 101 or Defining articles for the PS2. But it does have Rare, Affordable and Hidden Gem articles. At the very least I think there should be a 101 for the PS2.

And I'd love to see more for the DS, but since you can still play those games on the 3DS it might not be considered quite retro enough for most.

This is false. I don't think we have anything on the Vectrex; that is inexcusable.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Michi wrote:I think the only egregious omissions from that group you selected are that there are not any 101 or Defining articles for the PS2. But it does have Rare, Affordable and Hidden Gem articles. At the very least I think there should be a 101 for the PS2.

This is false. I don't think we have anything on the Vectrex; that is inexcusable.

Probabaly same goes for Intellivision? I would love to work on, but I need some help.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:

I agree, there are several glaring omissions, Intellivision probably being one of the most obvious early consoles missing. And while I know the site is mostly focussing on the consoles, I also think there should be one done for the Commodore 64, but I digress.

To clarify, I was only addressing the consoles in the "PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/DS/Wii/etc" group racket specifically mentioned. Of that group, I think finishing up the PS2 articles should be priority.

Oh, and by the way, there is a 101 Vectrex article. :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Apple II was VERY important to gaming, especially to RPGs. I think we need an Apple II 101 article.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

More pre-1990, less post-2000 please.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

racketboy wrote:I have a lot of prospects for new guides and more renovations, but I'm curious your opinion on the percentage of posts that I should devote to the likes of PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/DS/Wii/etc. We need to flesh out our guide library, but I also don't want to dilute the "retro" feel too much.

Thoughts?

The initial discovery for me to Racketboy were the published Retro Articles. I never would have caught this site by the name; the article had Google hits and are well written. Agree expand on at least 101 Hardware articles for as many as possible retro consoles including Atari 5200 and Atari 7800. Also computers of the day including Vic20, Commodore 64, Texas Instruments TI99 and Timex Sinclair. Many of the 8 bit computers have cart slots and plug into Composite/Svideo so unofficially are also "Retro Console" ready. A feature that once rediscovered a surprise to many gamers today.

No reason to remove articles that have not been refreshed, all are a good read. The list should be alphabetized though:

http://www.racketboy.com/guide/retro-gaming-101

marurun wrote:The Apple II was VERY important to gaming, especially to RPGs. I think we need an Apple II 101 article.

Bilestoad; that game was tops, keyboard control only due to operating arms and movement separately. A mention of the Apple 3rd party analog sticks when the non centering function were done right. Free floating Kraft thin stick is so perfect for the retro games (Choplifter hover control) on the old Apple and no need to hold the base.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

CRTGAMER wrote:
marurun wrote:The Apple II was VERY important to gaming, especially to RPGs. I think we need an Apple II 101 article.

Bilestoad; that game was tops, keyboard control only due to operating arms and movement separately. A mention of the Apple 3rd party analog sticks when the non centering function were done right. Free floating Kraft thin stick is so perfect for the retro games (Choplifter hover control) on the old Apple and no need to hold the base.

Another vote for the Apple ][ here! The 101 Article should include Oregon Trail; it's got to be the most popular game in the Apple ][ library.