Time Server Sync on oXbox Guide (& Time Cap Removal)

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Time Server Sync on oXbox Guide (& Time Cap Removal)

Post by Jagosaurus »

Time Server Sync on oXbox Guide 2016 (& Time Cap Removal)

Is the wrong time on your oXbox bugging you or naming all your save games the same (defaults to 3/3/2007 in my case). I have the fix! There's not a lot out there in 2016 on this so here you are.

I do recommend removing the time clock capacitor on your console (as long as it is not v1.6). This guy is notorious for leaking.
See my 6/19/17 post below.

Once this cap is removed or if it has just gone out, you need a time solution. Some games (such as DOOM 3) use a time stamp to name your saves. This will help you differentiate between save files and also make your dashboard time correct.

This will take a few moments to sync once complete if you the unplug your oXbox and time is not stored in BIOS.

Criteria: Have a modded oXbox with an internet connection. This IP scheme should work fine on Evo but step by step for UnleashedX & XBMC below :)

First, find the sever that is closest to you and jot down the IP.
http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

I'm in Texas so I chose the Birmingham, AL NIST server also on Central Standard Time at: 66.199.22.67

There are other NTP pool servers out there that use names versus IP. Keep in mind UnleashedX & Evo do not support host names, IP address only. XBMC does support host names.

Hope this helps :) and adds a bit of life to your aging oXbox!

Unleashed X:
System > Settings > Date and Time:
Enable SNTP
IP: 66.199.22.67 (for CST)
Port: 123
Allow HTTP: Yes
Save
Exit
Restart console

XBMC:
Settings > Appearance > International:
Enable Internet Time Synchronization
Time Server Host: 66.199.22.67 (For CST Time)
Exit
Restart console
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
retromangia
16-bit

Re: Time Server Sync on oXbox Guide 2016

Post by retromangia »

Jago, thanks for the info my man!

I was wondering if you could recommend a detailed guide or video on how to remove the time clock capacitor?

I swear i bought my xbox brand new years ago, and hardly ever used it. Thing is in MINT condition...but it just died one day... no power.. zip... nadda. Any idea's what it might be?

thanks again,
Retro
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

retromangia wrote:Jago, thanks for the info my man!

I was wondering if you could recommend a detailed guide or video on how to remove the time clock capacitor?

I swear i bought my xbox brand new years ago, and hardly ever used it. Thing is in MINT condition...but it just died one day... no power.. zip... nadda. Any idea's what it might be?

thanks again,
Retro

Sure. Hope this thread helps :). Check out the other links below as well. I plan to do an entire softmod step by step thread, but haven't dedicated the time yet.

12-11-2016 Edit: I did end finding some time for the soft mod step by step guide if anyone is interest: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50934

First off, don't remove this cap if your console is version 1.6. You'll get a time clock error when booting.

Believe it or not, the link below is the only source I found that named the capacitor you're removing. Important to note there were several mother board revisions so just pointing to a cap location doesn't cut it. If you don't plan to replace the cap, you could always carefully wiggle it free, but have a qtip & alcohol handy in case any fluid gets on board. Quickly clean it. Link (not my video): https://youtu.be/C98Et8sH-0M

That sounds like a power supply issue unfortunately. I had one that would boot and turn off shortly after. I ended up having to replace the cooling fan (see below). If you get no boot though, maybe the PSU. Crack it open and reseat all the molex connectors. Also make sure the power going to the IDE HDD is hot. Worth a shot.

I have read about a leaky time clock cap ruining a motherboard :/. Check that as well. That's why I posted this. I think a lot of oXbox consoles will be dead in time due to this.

Other useful oXbox threads for you:

My fan replacement thread:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50815
80mm LED fan in my unit:

Hard drive upgrade:
OP by CRTGAMER, I then contributed to thread (first reply) for most recent 2016 Chimp app method (I'll expand more soon):
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46123
Put a 160GB Seagate in my console, photo taken during cloning process:

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Just removed the time clock capacitor here. Sure enough, it was done and starting to corrode the board. This is now my main oXbox so happy to save it.

It is cap C7G2 for those manufacturered in late 2003. Check your MoBo revision & do your homework. There was a VERY faint blue mark on top of the cap. That seems to be a common theme.

I also cleaned up the motherboard (all over) and cut the RF shielding even more (versus just by my fan mod) for additional ventilation. Yes... that is a bug leg to the left :shock:. Man, this console was in rough shape even after several cleanings. What do people do to these things!? It's finally back to all its glory and the some.