Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Widescreen PS2 games w/Codebreaker![Real 16:9/not stretched]

by Valkyrie-Favor Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:10 pm

PS2 games look great in widescreen, but many of the best games don't have a built-in widescreen option. That's too bad. I know how I feel about this:

I'll keep it brief.

There are two ways to force a game to run in widescreen: the cheat method and the patch method.

You can also force them to run in 480p with a homebrew program called GSM. This program is compatible with real games and the patch method, but not the cheat method.

Cheat method
You need a cheat disk like Codebreaker or a homebrewed PS2 with the Codebreaker ELF.

These codes alter Field Of View values while the game is running, resulting in true 16:9 on games that didn't otherwise support it. They were designed for the cheat engine in PCSX2 but they also work real consoles.

First, download the PS2 Widescreen game patches from this post. You'll need an archive utility like 7zip or WinRAR to open it.

Next, open that game's .pnach file with Notepad.

Load up your cheat disk. Find your game/create it if it isn't there. Create a new cheat and enter the codes from the .pnach file. (Each cheat disk is different, but I can guarantee Codebreaker works.)

Play! It's glorious.

Not all games are supported, but even 2D games like Ar Tonelico can work. Be sure to look! If you use a homebrewed PS2, you can use the Codebreaker ELF in conjunction with a retail game, HDLoader, or ESR.

Starting up your cheat device every time you play can be annoying, but the reward is well worth it.

Patch method
You need a homebrewed PS2 to use this method. For that reason, I'll assume you have some technical know-how for this section.

Patch your ISO with the ELF hacks from this post. The instructions included are concise and easy to follow. You can find pre-patched ISOs easily with Google, if you don't want to do it yourself.

========================
How do I use .elf hacks?
========================

1. Open the game image with HxD hex editor, which can be downloaded here:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

2. Press Ctrl+R. Search for the initial value (choose hex-values datatype), for example:
00000000 00000000 43AD1346 00000000

3. Replace with the widescreen value, for example:
403F013C 00008144 43AD1346 02C60046

4. Save edited image.

5. Boot the game using the .elf. Use uLaunch ELF on a real PS2

This is a good option for those who would rather burn a disc once than load Codebreaker every time they want to play.

Here are the games that can be patched, but don't work with the cheat method:
    NTSC-U
    Champions - Return to Arms
    Downforce
    Gauntlet - Seven Sorrows
    Hydro Thunder
    Ico
    Kings Field - The Ancient City
    Need for Speed - Underground
    Rumble Racing
    Sega Sports Tennis/Virtua Tennis 2
    Tekken Tag Tournament
    The King of Route 66
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Wild Arms 5
    NTSC-J
    Bloody Roar 4
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Ikusagami
    Kagero II
    KOF Maximum Impact 2
    KOF Maximum Impact Maniax
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Rogue Galaxy DX
    Sengoku Basara
    Super Galdelic Hour
    Tales of the Abyss
    Virtua Racing
    Wild Arms Advanced 3rd
    Wild Arms 4
    Wild Arms 5
    Zone of The Enders Anubis
    Zone of the Enders
    PAL
    Enthusia
    Half-Life
    Need For Speed - Hot Pursuit 2
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2006
Last edited by Valkyrie-Favor on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Widescreen on 4:3 PS2 games with Codebreaker!

by CRTGAMER Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:13 pm

At first I was going to suggest to just adjust your HDTV to Full view to stretch the game to fill the screen completly. From looking at the pics, your method actually ADDS the sides of the game into view as in widescreen settings of existing games, GOOD MOVE! :mrgreen:

I use a 4:3 HD CRT screen so this at first may seem of little use. However, getting more of the game screen displayed from the sides might add a new dimension in certain games, catching something that now is in view on the sides. What I'm leading up to is even 4:3 TV owners can gain from this if they do not mind the slight vertical stretch.

Now where was that Thread concerning adding 480p to certain PS2 games? I think it also mentioned a widescreen option. Combined with this Thread, nice to discover new capabilities for old games on the PS2! :D

Found it! d123456 also posted a Guide on this somewhere.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&p=639779#p639779
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Re: Widescreen on 4:3 PS2 games with Codebreaker!

by Valkyrie-Favor Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Real widescreen, not stretched. It's awesome.

So far, I can't get Codebreaker to start up in 480p with Graphics Mode Selector (the GSM he mentioned). Maybe I can try starting it up after the code is enabled? If it works, I'll add it to the guide.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Re: Widescreen PS2 games w/Codebreaker![Real 16:9/not stretc

by Valkyrie-Favor Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Looks like it's impossible to run GSM and Codebreaker at the same time. I haven't tested other cheat programs, but I doubt they would work either. I'll add that to the guide.

I guess the conclusion is: Use the patch method when you can, use Codebreaker if you can't.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Just like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm still wondering if it might cause any issues. I imagine at worst bumping up the FOV will maybe cause a tad more slowdown in some parts of a game though. The GPU is processing and displaying more geometry than it did before after all.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 pm

It's made no difference in anything I've tried so far. All the games that pushed this system to its limit have widescreen anyway. You'll be alright.
d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 am

I've been playing many games in widescreen and 480p.
I'm currently using the opl+gsm build (for use with internal HDD)
Also, I use ps2rd instead of codebreaker. Alot easier. I recommend it
I do use codebreaker, but for transfer of game saves downloaded from gamefaqs.
I also do the hex patches. Some of the patches were requested by me. :D
If anybody needs any help, just shoot.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
BitFaced
64-bit

by BitFaced Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm confused, can you only use the cheat codes and not have to patch the ISO?
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 pm

If you use the cheat, there's no need to patch the ISO.

Also, be wary of some of the codes on PS2WIDE.com. They may well work on an emulator, but they produced garbage on my real PS2.
BitFaced
64-bit

by BitFaced Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:If you use the cheat, there's no need to patch the ISO.

Also, be wary of some of the codes on PS2WIDE.com. They may well work on an emulator, but they produced garbage on my real PS2.

List of games that use cheat codes? (It's just that personally I may prefer to play on the original I have, but that's just me)
Return to Guides