Softmodding An Original Xbox - The Easy Way

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: Softmodding An Original Xbox - The Easy Way

Post by elmagicochrisg »

stickem wrote:did you ever figure it out bro?

Already made the USB connection. Tried to transfer the file. Came to the conclusion that the Action Replay program does not work on Windows 7. Asked my neighbour for the umpteenth time if he can clean that hard disk he promised me 2 months ago. Waiting for that hard disk with XP so I can put it in his old PC he gave to me, 2 months ago...

It's gonna happen. Eventually... lol

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

elmagicochrisg wrote:
stickem wrote:did you ever figure it out bro?

Already made the USB connection. Tried to transfer the file. Came to the conclusion that the Action Replay program does not work on Windows 7. Asked my neighbour for the umpteenth time if he can clean that hard disk he promised me 2 months ago. Waiting for that hard disk with XP so I can put it in his old PC he gave to me, 2 months ago...

It's gonna happen. Eventually... lol

8)

Finally got that hard disk from my neighbour. The thing was FUBAR. For one, I have never seen a browser with that many toolbars before. Literally half the screen was gone... lol

So I completely wiped the drive and did a fresh XP install. Used the latest Windows XP Pirated Edition. Heh...

Action Replay finally worked and I was able to put the file on my memory card.

Put the file on my Xbox's hard disk, loaded MechAssault, and installed Linux.

Then changed the output to NTSC with the Enigmah Video Mode Switchdisc app, enabled 480p, 720p and 1080i, and changed Soften to 'No' and Filter Level to '0' in UnleashX's video options...

Then I tried True Crime Streets of LA in 720p. Tight as fuck... 8)

Thanks again for that link Stickem. Much appreciated... ^^

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

may want to keep that stuff handy if you ever want to put in a bigger hdd later. i had to redo the softmod after i did. but i may have fucked up a step or two using one of the old ass guides i was using.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

stickem wrote:may want to keep that stuff handy if you ever want to put in a bigger hdd later.

Don't worry. I've got those files on 2 Xbox hard disks, 2 PCs, and 2 Xbox memory cards. And I bookmarked all the links...

Maybe I should just 'prt sc' all those pages just to be sure... :P

stickem wrote:i had to redo the softmod after i did. but i may have fucked up a step or two using one of the old ass guides i was using.

Resulting in?...

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

when i turned it on after putting the new hdd in it just went to the microsoft dashboard and acted "un modded". i just re ran the exploit and i was good to go again with 160 gigs. of course i lost the game iso's, game saves, and the few emu/roms i had put on it, but i loaded it back up with even more stuff.

basically you have to ftp some folders from the og hdd to your pc, download some files to your pc and replace some of the og files. burn a program to a disc that puts all that on your new hdd and lock it. hook up your new hdd to an ide cable on your pc, change your pc to boot from disc on startup to run the program. it sounds confusing but the hardest part is finding a guide you can follow. i drank like a fish during the whole process pissed i couldn't find a guide with what i had and all the dead links.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Ah, as long as it doesn't brick the console I'm ok with losing my games and having to redo the softmod. Basically I just wanted to mod the console to be able to play imports (Phantom Dust) and to be able to put the console in progressive mode -which is disabled in PAL consoles- without that screen soften filter. Being able to only put one game on the hard disk at a time is actually a good thing. That way I (probably) won't start playing 10 games at once on it... lol

Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Whoa. I once softmodded a friend's oXbox. It took me an hour and cost nothing more than a DVD-RW.

My method involved opening the box and writing software to the hard drive while it was unlocked. Why would it be unlocked? Because the machine was in operation! It was playing music from the hard drive. Glorious.

Anyway, all you have to do is find "Shademand's Ready Made Xbox SoftMod" and follow the readme.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:My method involved opening the box and writing software to the hard drive while it was unlocked. Why would it be unlocked? Because the machine was in operation! It was playing music from the hard drive. Glorious.

Not sure that I follow. So how do you actually write the software to the hard drive? You have it connected to a different computer at the same time?