NES Capacitor Repair - 10NES Chip Disable - 150in1 Red Cart

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: NES Capacitor Repair - 10NES Chip Disable - Tengen Tetris

Post by sevin0seven »

CRTGAMER wrote: I don't have a Powerjoy system myself just a 50 game cart...

you better win NTGR7 then.. :wink:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Jmastab
8-bit

Re: NES Capacitor Repair - 10NES Chip Disable - Tengen Tetri

Post by Jmastab »

Hey everyone,
I could use some help with the capacitor replacement in my NES front loader. I replaced them but now I'm only getting a black screen but I do get Sound and control. Any suggestions ?
CromsBones

Post by CromsBones »

Hello there- I was looking for advice as I am going to attempt some capacitor replacement on my original NES console due to the "wavy line" problem. I was wondering, if there was one particular cap that is usually the culprit or if I should just replace them all.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

CromsBones wrote:Hello there- I was looking for advice as I am going to attempt some capacitor replacement on my original NES console due to the "wavy line" problem. I was wondering, if there was one particular cap that is usually the culprit or if I should just replace them all.

Look at the top of page 3 of this thread, everything is explained there.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

NES Capacitor Repair - 10NES Chip Disable - 150in1 Red Cart

Post by CRTGAMER »

150 in 1 NES Cart - Game Save Kirby, Rockman, Tengen Tetris
Over at Digital press, Tanooki posted about an obscure 150in1 cart. Sure, its just another multi game bootleg cart, but this has a great collection of games. In addition, the game Kirby's Adventure has a save feature, a battery is mounted inside the cart. Pretty neat considering the red cart is a multi game PCB.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/show ... ost2034953

The game cartridge has recently changed from red to the yellow and is a no save version! I really want that red cart for the Kirby Save. It stands out from many of the yellow bootleg Famicolm carts.

Jump on this cart while available. I don't think there is an issue with AliExpress, an international "Ebay" with their own Buyer Protection plan. There is no Paypal option so certainly will not risk an ATM card, I used my Credit Card which has its own protections. After seeing your initial post back at Digital Press, I posted a review. Definitely one of the better multi game bootleg carts.

Nothing wrong with a bootleg cart, a convenient inexpensive option of 150 games selected off a menu. Certainly no resale value, just a nice quick way of "changing game carts" especially for portable gaming such as the NES FC Mobile II.

Here is the link for the older obscure red cart, the one to get with the game save feature.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-qual ... .11.tNHCzY

Both red and yellow carts have identical games. The older red cart has a save capability for Kirby Adventure.

I took the NES cart apart (3 phillips screws) and am surprised how well made the Small PCB is inside. No Glop Chips, but has five solid state chips inside. One appears the same size and pins as the NES10 Lockout Chip on every NES game cart. Another small chip shows a date 2015.11.18 pointing to a recent limited edition build; newer yellow carts no longer save. The main large chip has a sticker with Asian letters, probably covering a window of a flash rom for all the games.

The CR2032 battery inside is mounted in a holder (picture of Famicom version), so much better then soldered on 1st party NES carts!

The cart starts up with a Logo that can quickly be bypassed by pressing any Button or Dpad. The Menu has a zoomed in screenshot of every game as it is scrolled thru by pressing down or up. Pressing right or left jumps pages for a quick search of the 150 individual games. The games are organized with many of the same category grouped together, a huge selection of memorable must have games. All the Rockmans, Marios (including the Arcade version), Donkey Kongs (except math) and many other Arcade classics including Dig Dug, Galaga, Toki and so many others. Take a close look at that game list above, there are a few that would be very pricey if bought as 1st party. Oh and Tetris 2 on the list is Tengen Tetris!

Kirby confirmed to save properly, even when resetting and trying a few other games afterwards. Reloading Kirby verified the game save loads just fine. Though only this one game can save, many have passwords just like in the original carts. However, if another game that normally saves on the cart is loaded, the Kirby save is wiped clean. Unfortunately only Kirby will save and retain as long as another save type game on the cart is not loaded.

Wiki wrote:NES Memory Management Controller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_management_controller

Multi-memory controllers or memory management controllers (MMC) are different kinds of special chips designed by various video game developers for use in Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) cartridges.

UNROM
Pro Wrestling,[1]:29 Ikari Warriors, Mega Man, Contra

MMC1
The Legend of Zelda, Mega Man 2, Metroid, Godzilla: Monster of Monsters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and more.

MMC2
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

MMC3
Mega Man 3, 4, 5, 6, Super Mario Bros. 2 NA/EU, Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Adventure, and more.

MMC4
Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem Gaiden, and Famicom Wars

MMC5
Castlevania III: Dracula's CurseNA/EU, Just Breed, Metal Slader Glory, Laser Invasion, Uchuu Keibitai SDF, Nobunaga's Ambition II, Nobunaga no Yabou - Sengoku Gunyuu Den, Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Uncharted Waters, Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray Wolf, Gemfire, L'Empereur, Ishin no Arashi, Shin 4 Nin Uchi Mahjong - Yakuman Tengoku

MMC6
StarTropics, Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

Nice to discover YS Tank (BATTLE CITY) has a startup screen to choose any level. :D

ImageImage

Note the missing NES10 chip on the left in the picture below. This is the Famicom version of the 150in1 game PCB.

stardust4ever wrote:It's part of a series of new multicarts available direct from Aliexpress. I ordered a pair of NES carts with shiny new labels and bright red cases (one for me and one for a friend) and paid about $17 and some change a piece for them, or around $35 total with free international shipping. You can also them on reseller 'Bay where they typically go for around $50.

There are also 198-in-1, 340-in-1, and 400-in-1 multicarts available as well, presumably made by the same company, but it seems the higher the number, the less good games and the more crap filler. All of them except the 150-in-1 contain a fairly large number of poor quality unlicensed Chinese titles. The 150-in-1 skips these.

The game cart is largely filled with MMC3 titles along with a sprinkling of the best NROM games and some others likely converted or hacked over to MMC3. The games are largely arranged by series and genre starting with Rockman, so you don't have to hunt and peck around for games from your favorite series as the arrangement seems fairly logical and not haphazard. Tetris II is the same Tengen version with the title screen removed that has appeared on countless other multicarts. You can't have an NES collection without some form of Tetris, and Tengen is my favorite version. Most of the "late great" unicorns are present as well, such as Little Samson, Flintstones 2, and others, with the notable absence of either Bubble Bobble and Bonk's Adventure. I would consider Bubble Bobble 1 & 2 as well as Bonk's Adventure to be required material, but I am nitpicking here.

Regardless, I'm honestly impressed with the amount and variety of games contained therein. Most of the must haves are there plus a fairly nice variety of obscure titles many gamers may not be aware of. Also each series of games featured is largely complete for the most part, with the notable absence of Castlevania III due to it's complex MMC5 mapper. There is even a Rockman board game available that was originally released only in Japan, translated to English for us to enjoy. I will definitely try it out sometime.

One thing that initially impressed me with this multicart is the inclusion of a save battery for one game, namely Kirby's Adventure, IMO one of the largest and most impressive platformers to grace the NES. Unfortunately that SRAM is also shared with other games, meaning that playing any other MMC3 game on the list which utilizes work RAM will essentially overwrite and erase Kirby's save data. This fact breaks my heart a bit, that all the effort the developer went through to include a save battery for Kirby's Adventure is wasted...

Selection of individual game versions leaves somewhat to be desired, as it seems haphazard as to which region of titles are included. A few games also have hacked title screen and some cheats or ROM tampering added. Super Mario Brothers 2 is clearly the PAL version. So is Parodius and Kirby's Adventure it seems, and quite possibly others as well. PAL games generally play fine but can be sensed by the increased tempo and sharp pitch of the game music. Parodius can be forgiven since the Famicom version used a custom Konami mapper and was never released stateside; however the others seem to be odd choice for inclusion with available NTSC ROMs with standard mapper.

Super Mario Bros 3 has much of the title screen removed and is actually a hack of the Japanese version with item select code and infinite time for starman. To select an item, press B to pull up the item menu and then hit SELECT to change the first item to whatever you want it to be. One caveat to this is that Nintendo put some anti-cheat measures into Super Mario Bros 3. If you defeat Bowser with the starman, the game will get stuck and not allow you to enter the Princess Chamber to view the ending credits. Similar side effects occur when using a Game Genie to cheat on the US version.

Turtles, I has an odd glitch present as well. It is based on the Japanese port "Geki Kame Ninja Den" (Legend of the Radical Ninja Turtles) and has a Level Select code built into the title screen. Unfortunately the hackers broke the "Turtles I" ROM somewhat so that it runs flawlessly on NOAC clone hardware (tested on my Super Retro Trio) but has graphical glitches on a real NES or Famicom.

I hope you guys liked my little mini write up. The new 150-in-1 is brand new and has a build date of 2015 on the splash screen along with some line art ripped from Paper Mario. The menu has music and displays preview graphics from each of the 150 games. I give it a B- grade overall, which is extremely high marks for a pirate multicart. It would be considered perfect if only Kirby's Adventure save was not corrupted by other games using the save data as work RAM, and PAL region or hacked title versions of game ROMs were not chosen for inclusion.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425