Scratch Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: Polishing Scratched Discs - Removing Price Stickers Guide

Post by elmagicochrisg »

CRTGAMER wrote:Know what you mean, I did the same thing to resurrect a Namco TV Games, Pole position gas ant shift are now operated by one button. Ca you take a pic while you have it apart? Shows another aspect of cleaning up the layers of a screen.

Well, the GB micro might still be apart, but the screen is already put together again. That is not something you want to leave open with 2 cats with chronic Feline Upper Respiratory Disease in the vicinity. Unless you want a snot layered screen that is... lol

I can however give a little explanation. The screen display consists of a few layers as seen here:

In front of the top layer you have a metal or plastic frame. Behind the last layer you have the back of the screen case, most of the time they use a metal casing for this. One or 2 flatribbon cables come out of the box. they are for data transfer to the screen and to power the leds that illuminate the screen. Be very careful not to break or ply these!... You can open the casing by prying a knife into the seams on the side of the casing. You will see most of the time it's a simple click mechanism that holds the case together. Don't force the clicking mechanism too much. You still want to be able to close the casing afterwards. Once you 'clicked' it open, put the case on something soft screen down and take away the metal backplate. Now you will see all the layers one on top of the other. Take them away one by one and try not to touch them. Just turn them over and put them in the metal backplate. Take them between 2 fingers and try to only touch the sides. Oh yeah, you may want to wash your hands before doing all this, so your fingers are not too greasy and there is less chance of you leaving printmarks on the layers in case you do touch them accidentally. Try to find the layer that causes trouble. Clean it as carefully as possible. Most of the time it's just a speck of dust laying on the layer. Try to blow it away as gently as possible. And for God's sake, try not to get any spit on it while blowing. Don't ask, lol. One of the layers may have some sort of coating. Once you touch it the coating comes off. It's a bit like those little silverfishes. When you touch them it leaves a silver coating on your finger. You do not want this!... Once the coating comes off, it doesn't go on again. Same as with those silverfishes, lol. Once you took care of the problem put all the layers back on top of eachother and close the case. Be careful not to get any dust or small particles between the layers when doing so. Otherwise you might make the problem worse than it was before. And trust me on this one, a small speck of dust gets in easily...

Assemble the whole thing and check...

Repeat in case something got in there anyway until satisfied...

Done... 8)

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
NeverGoBak
32-bit

Post by NeverGoBak »

Need some clarification.

"Automotive Convertible Top Rear Window Polish"

Does this mean it has to marketed to clean convertible top rear windows? Will many that still have the title "plastic polish" not be adequate?
Current Consoles: SNES, GBC, Game Cube, Nintendo DSL, Wii, N64, PS2
Past Consoles: PS1, X-BOX, GBA

FAV Franchises/Games: Sonic The Hedgehog, Lock's Quest, Legend of Zelda, Megaman Battle Network, Mysims, Plok(SNES), Kirby, Ristar, Sly Cooper, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Smash Bros, Okami, Tekken, Super Mario, Wario Land, Golden Sun, Streets of Rage and Elite Beat Agents.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

elmagicochrisg wrote:Well, the GB micro might still be apart, but the screen is already put together again.

One of the layers may have some sort of coating. Once you touch it the coating comes off. It's a bit like those little silverfishes. When you touch them it leaves a silver coating on your finger. You do not want this!... Once the coating comes off, it doesn't go on again. Same as with those silverfishes, lol. Once you took care of the problem put all the layers back on top of each other and close the case. Be careful not to get any dust or small particles between the layers when doing so. Otherwise you might make the problem worse than it was before. And trust me on this one, a small speck of dust gets in easily...
Good information! I did not know about that fragile silver coated layer. :shock:

NeverGoBak wrote:Need some clarification.

"Automotive Convertible Top Rear Window Polish"

Does this mean it has to marketed to clean convertible top rear windows? Will many that still have the title "plastic polish" not be adequate?
Any Plastic Polish or Plastic Cleaner. The Polish is more aggressive then Cleaner, especially in Automotive Headlamp Restore Paste form. The liquid advertised to remove scratches in old convertible top plastic windows really works well. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Sticker carefully removed from a NES box with hairdryer warming and a little careful magic rub eraser action on the leftover glue:

Before

After

Take it slow!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hobie-wan wrote:Sticker carefully removed from a NES box with hairdryer warming and a little careful magic rub eraser action on the leftover glue.
A great way to prevent damage to a cardboard game box.
I added your quote with pics to the OP, THANKS!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Polish Scratch Discs - Marker Stickers Removal - Case Fix Gu

Post by CRTGAMER »

Updated the OP

I mentioned earlier in my Wii Gamecube thread about a problem with the Gamecube case damaging the discs. However, there are other game and movie cases that also might cause damage. I discovered another hub design on a recently purchased Season One AMC Walking Dead, the 3 disc Special Edition. The hub really hooks onto the disc and can cause disc cracking damage.

This is too important, so decided to post a preventative fix. Since this is related to disc preservation of my OP, thought it best to have a posting included in this Thread. Scroll to the bottom of the OP for details on different approaches.

In the pic below note how only one clip will release when pushing the center, the other two clips will stay locked on the disc.
Attachments
DVD Case Holder File Fix_1.jpg
DVD Case Holder File Fix_1.jpg (120.22 KiB) Viewed 5263 times

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Polish Disc - Marker Sticker Removal - Case Disc Repair

Post by CRTGAMER »

Cracked Disc Center Repair - See The OP

Added a Guide on repairing cracked CD and DVD disc centers. :D

Disc Center Repair Kit.jpg
Disc Center Repair Kit.jpg (234.26 KiB) Viewed 5201 times

Disc Center Repair Template.jpg
Disc Center Repair Template.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 5201 times

Disc Center Repair Lamination.jpg
Disc Center Repair Lamination.jpg (252.26 KiB) Viewed 5201 times

youtoo

Re: Polish Disc - Marker Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Rep

Post by youtoo »

CRTGAMER, I'm gonna try the plastic polish & cleaner method you suggested. I'm gonna try it on PS1 cds, and I'll so try on their jewel cases, see if I can also remove the scratches there...

Does anyone recommend any of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-10-Plast ... to_title_0
or

http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-110 ... uto_text_b
+
http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-111 ... sim_auto_5

Any preference??
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

youtoo wrote:CRTGAMER, I'm gonna try the plastic polish & cleaner method you suggested. I'm gonna try it on PS1 cds, and I'll so try on their jewel cases, see if I can also remove the scratches there...

The products labeled Plastic Cleaners will not remove any heavy scratches, go for the Polish. I use Plastic Polish designed for automotive convertible top plastic windows, have pretty good luck.

Any really bad deep scratches first get the Disc Doctor Treatment described in the OP. I then get rid of the doctor swirl marks by hand rubbing in the convertible top polish, let dry and buff off. :D

youtoo

Post by youtoo »

CRTGAMER wrote:The products labeled Plastic Cleaners will not remove any heavy scratches, go for the Polish. I use Plastic Polish designed for automotive convertible top plastic windows, have pretty good luck.

Any really bad deep scratches first get the Disc Doctor Treatment described in the OP. I then get rid of the doctor swirl marks by hand rubbing in the convertible top polish, let dry and buff off. :D

I thought you had to apply Plastic Polish AND THEN Plastic Cleaner...

With what do you buff off the Plastic Polish?