Scratch Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Scratch Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Gu

Post by CRTGAMER »

Updated the Guide with Scotch Brite Easy Erasing Pad and Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

thegamezmaster

Post by thegamezmaster »

I bought a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy from a game rental store. Disc is in great shape. The only thing on the disc is a ring around the center of the disc. Is it safe to gently peel off and use something like Goo Be Gone to remove any excess glue? Or is there a better way to remove or just leave it on? Thanks.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

thegamezmaster wrote:I bought a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy from a game rental store. Disc is in great shape. The only thing on the disc is a ring around the center of the disc. Is it safe to gently peel off and use something like Goo Be Gone to remove any excess glue? Or is there a better way to remove or just leave it on? Thanks.

Please post a picture
Sounds like a center ring protector, bad move to have that especially on slot loading drives. Check both sides of the disc, maybe the sticker is there to slow down a damage crack from spreading? Hopefully there is no sticker on the bottom read side which changes the disc height in relation to the laser eye.

If the sticker ring is just a paper sticker, should be easy to remove after LiftOff, GooGone or even Olive Oil soaks in for a while. You definitely should not forcibly remove it due to risk of damaging the disc. Be sure to clean all residual glue off to prevent the disc from sticking on the reader hub inside.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

How safe is the plastic polish?
I have a couple of gamecube games that have some nice scratches :?
There's not a single place in my city that has a polish machine for this.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Damm64 wrote:How safe is the plastic polish?
I have a couple of gamecube games that have some nice scratches :?
There's not a single place in my city that has a polish machine for this.

All in the OP, I have used Plastic Polish for years with no issues. It just won't work for deep scratches, no harm to try.

TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Would it be worth a mention, with clear packing tape you can get up stubborn sticker residue on cases too!

Using a method sort of like a Brazilian Bikini Wax. :lol:
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Best method for removing price stickers off Gamecube cases? I see examples with Goo Gone & Lift Off in the OP, but would the olive oil fix or just slowly peeling off be safer? I just don't want any damage or discoloration to the plastic on the case.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ExedExes wrote:Best method for removing price stickers off Gamecube cases? I see examples with Goo Gone & Lift Off in the OP, but would the olive oil fix or just slowly peeling off be safer? I just don't want any damage or discoloration to the plastic on the case.

I use Lift Off with no issues on the clear flexible plastic of game and DVD cases. Goo Gone and even Olive Oil can work, the trick is to let the oil soak in for at least five minutes before removing the sticker. Use a cardboard sleeve underneath as mentioned in the OP.

If a recent gamestop sticker, most now pull off by the stretch method without any chemicals with no damage to the plastic. Again use that cardboard sleeve underneath to avoid denting the plastic such as a manual holder clip or Ecco case slots underneath.

ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ok, thanks. As I get more games from a local store I'm going to have to deal with those price labels they have.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.