Playstation PAL NTSC Conversion Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
d123456
Next-Gen

Re: Playing japanese ps1 backups on my PAL ps2...

Post by d123456 »

CRTGAMER wrote:
d123456 wrote:Can I somehow make the japanese ps1 backup seem like a pal backup, but still let it run in 60hz?

I don't think you can. When converted to PAL it is set to match the screen draw speed of the PAL TV at 50hz. You will need a NTSC TV or a PAL TV that supports NTSC 60hz. Of course then the disc wouldn't need converted, just region bypassed. Other then the Region bypass, would a U.S. NTSC game display thru a PAL console and a PAL TV that supports 60hz?

Exactly, I just need a small region bypass.
And to clarify I run several japenese ps2 imports on my pal ps2 and pal tv and they run in glorious full screen 60hz. Now I just need to do it with ps1 games.
A while ago there was a thread about running ps1 backups on a freemcbooted ps2. I can do it, but only if the region of the Japanese backup is set to the consoles region and this is where my problems lies. It runs in damned 50hz. What program do you recommend?

All PAL Sony Playstation consoles 1,2 and 3 support 50Hz and 60Hz and practically all pal tv´s support 50Hz and 60Hz. It is a common misconception that pal tv´s don´t support 60hz. Perhaps some really crappy old pal tv´s do not support 60 hz, but I suspect just about any pal tv from 1990 and upward support 60hz. Probably older ones too.
I still Curse Nintendo, Sega and Sony for releasing 50hz crap. What a waste. But I never accepted it´s inferiority. I always modded and/or imported. screw ´em. I wanted 60hz.

Anyway. I do not want to convert a Japanese or US 60 hz game to 50 hz. I just want to play japanese and perhaps some US ps1 backups in 60hz on my pal ps2. So I hope there is a way in which my ps2 will see a backup and think: hey, a pal ps1 game, I am allowed to play it, it´s the same region as I am. But then suddenly it reads the contents of the disc which will somehow play it in 60hz. I think I might have done something like this on my ps1 back in the days, but a decade later, several hdd crashes later I don´t know how or what I should use. I think I kind of off topic here, because I don´t want to convert or center an ntsc 60 hz game. Well, not yet. perhaops when I get it to run in 60hz it might not be centered, but I´ll deal with that later. First I need to run it in 60. Because I get them to run in 50hz which is slow and a squashed image :cry:
Thanks for the support.
Last edited by d123456 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

d123456 wrote:Anyway. I do not want to convert a Japanese or US 60 hz game to 50 hz. I just want to play japanese and perhaps some US ps1 backups in 60hz on my pal ps2. So I hope there is a way in which my ps2 will see a backup and think: hey, a pal ps1 game, I am allowed to play it, it´s the same region as I am. But then suddenly it reads the contents of the disc which will somehow play it in 60hz. I think I might have done something like this on my ps1 back in the days, but a decade later, several hdd crashes later I don´t know how or what I should use. I think I kind of off topic here, because I don´t want to convert or center an ntsc 60 hz game. Well, not yet. perhaops when I get it to run in 60hz it might not be centered, but I´ll deal with that later. First I need to run it in 60. Because I get them to run in 50hz which is slow and a squashed image :cry:
Thanks for the support.

maybe a modded NTSC console?
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

noiseredux wrote:
d123456 wrote:Anyway. I do not want to convert a Japanese or US 60 hz game to 50 hz. I just want to play japanese and perhaps some US ps1 backups in 60hz on my pal ps2. So I hope there is a way in which my ps2 will see a backup and think: hey, a pal ps1 game, I am allowed to play it, it´s the same region as I am. But then suddenly it reads the contents of the disc which will somehow play it in 60hz. I think I might have done something like this on my ps1 back in the days, but a decade later, several hdd crashes later I don´t know how or what I should use. I think I kind of off topic here, because I don´t want to convert or center an ntsc 60 hz game. Well, not yet. perhaops when I get it to run in 60hz it might not be centered, but I´ll deal with that later. First I need to run it in 60. Because I get them to run in 50hz which is slow and a squashed image :cry:
Thanks for the support.

maybe a modded NTSC console?

yeah! That would do the trick alright, but should it not somehow be possible with a pal ps2?
the pal ps1 can play japanese backups!
With the pal saturn you litteraly have to mod the console to 60hz, but a pal ps1 can display 50 and 60hz. it is software controlled.

I am very curious that there is so little demand for this. Perhaps I am one of the few non US residents here, that would explain it. I need to find out how the ps2 handles ps1 backups, regions and 50hz or 60hz. Is it still software controlled in the ps2 or did Sony say fuck it and made it so pal region automatically means 50hz?
Also a bummer that you still can´t load ps1 games of the internal hdd or external hdd. That would be awesome.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
jinn
128-bit

Re: Playstation PAL NTSC Conversion Guide

Post by jinn »

It's software controlled.
Get a Modbo chip, they will for PAL or NTSC video for PS and PS2 games.
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

d123456 wrote:A while ago there was a thread about running ps1 backups on a freemcbooted ps2. I can do it, but only if the region of the Japanese backup is set to the consoles region and this is where my problems lies. It runs in damned 50hz. What program do you recommend?

All PAL Sony Playstation consoles 1,2 and 3 support 50Hz and 60Hz and practically all pal tv´s support 50Hz and 60Hz. It is a common misconception that pal tv´s don´t support 60hz. Perhaps some really crappy old pal tv´s do not support 60 hz, but I suspect just about any pal tv from 1990 and upward support 60hz. Probably older ones too.

Anyway. I do not want to convert a Japanese or US 60 hz game to 50 hz. I just want to play japanese and perhaps some US ps1 backups in 60hz on my pal ps2. So I hope there is a way in which my ps2 will see a backup and think: hey, a pal ps1 game, I am allowed to play it, it´s the same region as I am. But then suddenly it reads the contents of the disc which will somehow play it in 60hz.

I'm not sure on this one, maybe a NTSC PS1 might be another option? But if you have done any conversion of PS2 or PS1 games, can you post which games and what Y Position settings you used? I'll add to the OP what NTSC games you successfully burned to PAL.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Okay, Silent Hill 2 PAL Part 2:

I borrowed a relatives LCD TV to try this out. The TV's manual says it is incompatible with PAL signals but I thought I'd try it out anyway.

I hooked up my ps2 slim with component cables to the tv. Put in swap magic and forced the PAL signal. Everything ran smoothly. No cinema scene hiccups/slowdowns.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Opa Opa wrote:Okay, Silent Hill 2 PAL Part 2:

I borrowed a relatives LCD TV to try this out. The TV's manual says it is incompatible with PAL signals but I thought I'd try it out anyway.

I hooked up my ps2 slim with component cables to the tv. Put in swap magic and forced the PAL signal. Everything ran smoothly. No cinema scene hiccups/slowdowns.

How did the screen look, was it centered with the stats not cut off? Swap Magic works well, just sometimes does not center the image. If PAL Silent Hill 2 was off, you can try the conversion method in the OP to readjust.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

The screen looked normal. Pretty much NTSC-looking; just slightly smaller.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I have a PAL PS2 game that I'm going to have to convert to NTSC. However, the game is on CD rather than DVD. Will I be able to burn the converted ISO to DVDR or will it have to be put on CDR? Do you have to burn CD PS2 games any differently than DVD ones?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:I have a PAL PS2 game that I'm going to have to convert to NTSC. However, the game is on CD rather than DVD. Will I be able to burn the converted ISO to DVDR or will it have to be put on CDR? Do you have to burn CD PS2 games any differently than DVD ones?

I don't think you can burn an ISO of a CD to a DVDR. Even if it is possible the pointers, in the CD ISO may not recognize the sector layout of a DVDR. Just use IMGBurn to burn the ISO of the PS2 CD back to a CDR.

Sometimes a worn PS2 has a harder time reading CDRs versus DVDs. Check that your PS2 can read original blue CD game discs and music CDRs. This will help to confirm if it can read a burned PS2 CDR.

I'm curious if the YFix PAL to NTSC conversion program would work on a commercial PS2 CD ISO. I have only used it to convert PAL PS2 DVD ISOs. Please post your results with the Y Position Setting used, I'll add to the OP.