Playstation PAL NTSC Conversion Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Playstation PAL NTSC Conversion Guide

Post by CRTGAMER »

dc_coder_84 wrote:
Can you post what GSM setting is used to get the picture centered with just tiny borders?
Here is my config:

PS2: PAL
Final Fantasy X International: NTSC/J
GSM: Video Mode: NTSC, X-Axis: -36, Y-Axis: +12, Exit type: PS2 browser
Swap Magic: Video Mode: normal, Boot type: normal
TV: supports 60 Hz

Thanks! I updated the OP with the GSM settings. From what you describe, it looks like the GSM setting is outputting NTSC for your TV which supports NTSC 60hz. If that is the case, I don't know why you have those borders, I thought the previous page screenshot was a PAL image. Have you tried other NTSC video such as a NTSC DVD Player with your TV set to 60hz NTSC? Would a NTSC PS2 display a NTSC game on your PAL TV at full screen with no borders since the TV also supports 60hz?

Based on you earlier post, a few questions.

1. Have you tried Swap Magic with (instead of the Normal setting) its NTSC Bootup option?
2. Can the ps2_ntsc2pal_yfix center the NTSC screen in PAL50hz?
3. Can you post a screenshot of the Yfix NTSC to PAL 50hz conversion?

The main advantage of the ps2_ntsc2pal_yfix over GSM is a self contained video converted disc that can be installed to a PS2 Hard Drive. GSM looks to be a better route to utilize the screen estate, but if the TV has 60hz built in? I am curious of a comparison of GSM/Yfix screens in how the NTSC games look when converted to a PAL 50hz signal, would the GSM improve the picture border?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dc_coder_84

Post by dc_coder_84 »

@CRTGAMER:

When I said my TV supports 60 Hz I meant this in the following way. I can play the PAL version Shadow of the Colossus with the built in 60 Hz mode in fullscreen without borders.

Regarding your first question I have tested this with and without GSM but there is no change in the image.

Regarding your second question I tested this without GSM and only Swap Magic in PAL mode. Attached is a screenshot of the result. As you can see there are ultra fat PAL borders X(pq (a death smiley with thumbs down :) and the screen is also shifted a little bit up. The screenshot is also for your question number three.

P1040565.JPG
P1040565.JPG (101.89 KiB) Viewed 6402 times

Has this answered your questions two and three or should I also use GSM?

I have question regarding Swap Magic 3.6. What is the difference between nomal and special boot. You have to press square for special boot and cross for normal boot. Is this the same as the video mode selection on screen?

I wondered why there is no GUI element to set the Y position in the tool ps2_ntsc2pal_yfix which I found here http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=mis.html like in ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix?

This tool here http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/esr.php is only for backups not imort games right?

I made one more test with the pal2ntsc_yfix disk. The config is:
GSM: PAL 60 HZ, X -36, Y +12
Swap Magic: NTSC and special boot
The result is the same as in my first screenshot with the very tiny borders.

Have I answered all your questions?
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

If your TV supports NTSC, you should not need to patch for PAL.
Try leaving all video related hacks or patches OFF.

PS2 doesn't officially use "PAL60".
When at 60hz mode an NTSC or PAL game is supposed to be indistinguishable to the eye.
Lum fan.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

dc_coder_84 wrote:When I said my TV supports 60 Hz I meant this in the following way. I can play the PAL version Shadow of the Colossus with the built in 60 Hz mode in fullscreen without borders.

Regarding your first question I have tested this with and without GSM but there is no change in the image.

Regarding your second question I tested this without GSM and only Swap Magic in PAL mode. Attached is a screenshot of the result. As you can see there are ultra fat PAL borders X(pq (a death smiley with thumbs down :) and the screen is also shifted a little bit up. The screenshot is also for your question number three.

I have question regarding Swap Magic 3.6. What is the difference between nomal and special boot. You have to press square for special boot and cross for normal boot. Is this the same as the video mode selection on screen?

I wondered why there is no GUI element to set the Y position in the tool ps2_ntsc2pal_yfix which I found here http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=mis.html like in ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix?

This tool here http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/esr.php is only for backups not imort games right?

I made one more test with the pal2ntsc_yfix disk. The config is:
GSM: PAL 60 HZ, X -36, Y +12
Swap Magic: NTSC and special boot
The result is the same as in my first screenshot with the very tiny borders.

Thanks for the information! :D

That Swap Magic certainly made it worse, converting the game to a PAL image. The Special Boot is for games that don't load in the Normal Boot. Go to the Video Mode and try selecting NTSC and see what happens with the NTSCJ game in your PAL PS2 and 60hz TV.

Not sure on the pal2ntsc_yfix you linked, the version in the OP does have a GUI to set the Y position. Its designed to make a backup of imports with the video conversion. Going thru the PAL PS2 you will get a similar screen result as Swap Magic though.

It looks like GSM is your best route unless you invest in a NTSC PS2 which might get rid of the tiny borders. The improvement will be slight, but you would gain in not having to boot GSM every time you want to play a NTSC game. That is, if the PS2 is either modded, has a Flip Top or a Slide Tool is used. There is also the Hard Drive Route which works great with imports, but the games have to be converted to match your TV. Since your TV already has built in 60hz, the imports should work once you circumvent the region check for the hard drive install.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

TEKTORO wrote:It looks like PAL Michigan Report has an option to switch to NTSC (60hz) !

I'll just have to do the region bypass which I'm still looking into the best method, swap magic?

Thanks for your help :)

Thanks for the info on Michigan Report, updated the OP. If you have a Fat PS2 internal hard drive option, it is a faster load option. Even a PS2 Slim with slower external USB hard drive is a faster boot and more convenient over swapping discs on every game load. If you did have to convert and burn a game, a DVDR or CDR will make the laser work harder tracking the data causing a shorter life of the laser assembly. Luckily you have the 60hz option so the original pressed disc is booted.

PAL ICO also has a 60hz option. Once the game is saved, it automatically switches to 60hz on the next game load. The game is installed in the hard drive, so a direct load thru HDAdvance. HDAdvance will not switch video modes, but does the region bypass since the game is installed and bypasses ejecting the disc tray. No need to swap discs and opening the Flip Top or Slide Tool once the game is installed.

Michigan Report might have a similiar feature; a game save will automatically switch to 60hz after the Title Screen loads. A hard drive install will definitely be faster, but Swap Magic should still work out just fine. Try loading Swap Magic with 60hz NTSC boot to see the load process, if that does not work then load the 50hz PAL boot mode. The game should switch to NTSC if the game save method works.

For PAL 50hz only games, Swap Magic has a disadvantage over the burn new disc NTSC conversion method. Even though it can bypass the region lock and convert a PAL game to NTSC, the screen is not centered! The burned disc conversion method can be set to center the screen. You lose a few lines of the screen due to the PAL image being taller then NTSC, but this can be custom adjusted depending on say where the score/life display is on the screen.

Swap Magic does not have a screen height adjustment, the converted PAl to NTSC image is too low with the bottom part cut off screen. The top part to the TV screen estate is not even used with Swap Magic. :?

PAL Alien Hominid booted to NTSC with Swap Magic (Black Bar at top of screen)

PAL to NTSC converted burned Alien Hominid (Screen image moved up and centered)