READ ME

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: READ ME

Post by CFFJR »

Would this forum be an acceptable place for someone to request a guide?

For that matter, what's the limit on subject matter?

For the sake of example, I'd appreciate it if somebody made a "for dummies" (you get the idea) guide on the image editing that goes into making covers and labels with different software. Would something like that even be allowed, or is this dedicated to technical stuff?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

CFFJR wrote:For the sake of example, I'd appreciate it if somebody made a "for dummies" (you get the idea) guide on the image editing that goes into making covers and labels with different software. Would something like that even be allowed, or is this dedicated to technical stuff?

I imagine that would be better to just go over to The Cover Project and look at the guides there. I just went and looked that there was a guide section. Maybe some of the guys here who have contributed there can point better.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/i ... board=11.0
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Hobie-wan wrote:
CFFJR wrote:For the sake of example, I'd appreciate it if somebody made a "for dummies" (you get the idea) guide on the image editing that goes into making covers and labels with different software. Would something like that even be allowed, or is this dedicated to technical stuff?

I imagine that would be better to just go over to The Cover Project and look at the guides there. I just went and looked that there was a guide section. Maybe some of the guys here who have contributed there can point better.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/i ... board=11.0

They do have guides, but nothing about the use of the templates and the actual editing that is done.

In short, its assumed that the user already understands how to use the photo editors and such, and the templates can be figured out from there. I haven't seen anybody at coverproject who's willing to explain all that (understandably so) for simple folk such as myself, heh.

As someone who doesn't have a clue how to do that stuff, I've experimented before and failed badly. :lol: I just don't get how to clear things from the templates and make everything fit properly.

But hey, if that stuff is better left elsewhere, you'll get no argument from me. I just thought I'd ask.

That still leaves the question of requests though. Can this be a place where one asks, "hey, can someone make a guide for this or that mod?"
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Do you have NERO? Comes with a good DVD-Jewel Case program. A lot of copy programs come with a similar utility. Standard DVD-Jewel case templates already there, just add your own pics and text. Tons of Pics online that can easily be resized by using a case cover program. You can create your own pic with your chosen drawing program or digital camera. Adding of Title easy too just by typing in the text with an appropriate sized font. Play around with it, not harder then typing a letter with inserted pics.

As to a Guide Request List on this thread, a Mod's call. Maybe PM fastbilly1?

INSERT pics to pre-made templates of Disc, Covers and Inside Liner notes:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

sorry fellas - site is blocked at both jobs now. Ill try to work on all this in the near future.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ok, I finally got a login to work. We have two ways to approach this now, I am glad yall brought this up since I did not think about it.

1. We could just transfer over guides with all the comments intact. Making for a more complicated read but will all info
2. We could make a second topic with the guide updated with the comment suggestions and ask for all questions to be posted on the topic not in this forum.

Which would yall prefer?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'd really like to publish some of the guides on the main part of the site once they have been fleshed out. Are you guys cool with that?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

fastbilly1 wrote:Ok, I finally got a login to work. We have two ways to approach this now, I am glad yall brought this up since I did not think about it.

1. We could just transfer over guides with all the comments intact. Making for a more complicated read but will all info
2. We could make a second topic with the guide updated with the comment suggestions and ask for all questions to be posted on the topic not in this forum.

Which would yall prefer?

Number 1 definitely. I think Replies should be include. The Replies offer new insight to a given guide. Information lost if not included. Second Topic maybe a bad idea? All info (Replies) to a problem should stay together.

racketboy wrote:I'd really like to publish some of the guides on the main part of the site once they have been fleshed out. Are you guys cool with that?

Not sure, I'm constantly updating my guides as new info arrives.
Just like this post. :oops:

However, perhaps links included in the published guides for replies of updates?

Wrote another guide to follow thru the Twin Stick Mod Guide.
Its a two part guide, 1st reply is the second part.

Arcade Controller Mod Guide: Home System Adaption:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=292282#p292282
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

fastbilly1 wrote:1. We could just transfer over guides with all the comments intact. Making for a more complicated read but will all info

If one already had replies, I say pull those over too since some changes might already have been made and some other questions answered already.

racketboy wrote:I'd really like to publish some of the guides on the main part of the site once they have been fleshed out. Are you guys cool with that?

Would be fine with me if a guide I made was featured.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Works for me, porting guides will try to happen today. Ruddy filter at work blocks random parts of the site now so it might have to wait until I get to church tonight.