Zortch: the boomer N64 FPS you didn't know you needed!

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Zortch: the boomer N64 FPS you didn't know you needed!

Post by Ack »

The boomer shooter craze is still in full swing, but one area of '90s FPS that we haven't seen a lot of attention is the Nintendo 64. Low polygons and big, flat textures, rudimentary locational damage on cartoonish 3D models, and a PG-13 approach to violence. That void is now being filled:

Zortch

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2443360/Zortch/

I didn't know how much I wanted this to be a thing until I got my hands on it. Zortch didn't release on Steam Early Access or leak out levels or anything. It popped up complete and unannounced, with 20 levels of shotguns, dynamite, lightning guns, grenade/missile launchers, and so on. It has the killer dinosaurs of Turok, the trip mines and kicking of Duke Nukem 64, and a sense of speed in the combat as even basic does can suddenly launch themselves across a room to try and take you down. And it does it with a muddy but colorful palette that feels entirely out of place with most grimdark FPS offerings. It takes me back to the frantic nature of Turok 2 multiplayer or the peak gunplay action of Jet Force Gemini. I'm a little over halfway through already, and I'm having a blast!
Rydon
24-bit

Re: Zortch: the boomer N64 FPS you didn't know you needed!

Post by Rydon »

Nice! Thanks for the recommend.
marurun

Re: Zortch: the boomer N64 FPS you didn't know you needed!

Post by marurun »

The choice of textures and colors, combined with that energy effect, make it look like low-budget Unreal (original game, not engine).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.