Best shooters like Metroid Prime

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Best shooters like Metroid Prime

Post by Sarge »

I've always been interested in the original Unreal. Maybe I should give it a go. I've got Unreal Gold that I picked up a while back.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sarge wrote:I've always been interested in the original Unreal. Maybe I should give it a go. I've got Unreal Gold that I picked up a while back.

It's a gorgeous game for the time, and the weapons are a lot of fun to play with. But the levels get repetitive after a while. The game is just too long and not all the level design holds up. And some weapons really aren't that effective, despite being lots of fun to use, at least in terms of how much ammo they chew through. Still, by the time you reach the end you'll be thinking, "What a trip!"
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Exhumed/Powerslave has some level exploration similar to that of the Prime games. You get a pair of boots in level X that allow you to take another route in level Y which leads to level Z. It's not much but it works well. It's also a pretty fine shooter in its own right. Course it's also pre-PS2 era so maybe not what you're looking for.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sload Soap wrote:Exhumed/Powerslave has some level exploration similar to that of the Prime games. You get a pair of boots in level X that allow you to take another route in level Y which leads to level Z. It's not much but it works well. It's also a pretty fine shooter in its own right. Course it's also pre-PS2 era so maybe not what you're looking for.

Looks like a Doom clone. I always passed over it, maybe this time I'll track it down.

How do the console ports compare?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ooh, yeah, I've played a bit of Powerslave. Actually have the Saturn version. I should probably give that a go.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

The saturn version is seen as the best one. It was a Lobotomy port IRC and they knew the hardware inside out. Sure the PS1 port will suffice though I can't speak for it. And from what I understand the PC version is very different.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I guess I'm in the minority that really enjoyed Unreal when I first played it a few years back. Never see it get much love around here on RB.

And if we're going for some of these crazy stretches. may as well throw Quake 2 in the mix. The environments wouldn't be super out of place in Prime. Imagine a full game covering the Pirate bases.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Unreal was good, I guess I just didn't enjoy it in the same way you did.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I might be biased because its music was done by Alexander Brandon, the Deus Ex composer! Some of the best VGM in the business.

Combat/guns wise Quake 2 is definitely better.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I haven't played the new Prey, but some of the gameplay I watched with the foam gun and puzzle reminded me of games like Metroid Prime. FPS games where the shooting was equal to finding your way, uncovering the narrative.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"