The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by Xeogred »

Jagosaurus wrote:I really dig the PSX port also. Runs well, looks nice, and atmospheric music is well done. Was so confused when I saw the Spectre though :lol:

Refresh my memory:

Shoulder buttons strafe, correct? That alone gives it a huge jump over Jaguar.

Memory card saves? I remember my choppy Saturn port using long PW saves.

Yep, L1 and R1 strafe. L2 and R2 cycle through the weapons, the only crutch here is that you can't recycle through whatever you have... so when you go backwards to your First, you can't keep going backwards to the BFG or vice versa. Not too bad for gamepad controls though. You can customize all the buttons actually which is awesome. The minimap is super zoomed and I don't think you can zoom out, but it's part of the charm haha. By pushing start and select, you can get to the options menu to customize things or change the volume, etc.

No memory card saves at all from what I'm seeing... passwords! :lol: I'm playing via emulation though so just using a save state.

The arrangement of levels has been fascinating. A lot of cut maps, so I'm never sure what to expect next keeping it interesting. I actually wasn't expecting to see Ultimate's Episode 4 levels here but some of them are in, so the difficulty is ramping up! I'm up to map 27 or something, so probably close to the end of Doom. It'll be interesting to see how this engine handles Doom 2 since those maps get bigger and all.

The two exclusive maps so far were pretty neat, the first is a simple arena and then I really dug the second one:

Level 16: Hell Gate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0sHtRrjriM
Level 17: Hell Keep- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPxFhl3dpvw

Cut levels aside, Doom PSX is still 59 maps. Having the majority of Doom and Doom II all in one game is quite impressive.

Ziggy587 wrote:I got a copy of the PS1 version a while back. I have two PS1's, one chipped, and a link cable. At least once, I want to play multiplayer with two linked consoles.

I'd love to know how the co-op is, could be really cool.

Final Doom PSX still just uses passwords... it also can work with the PSX mouse but I hear it's pretty bad and not ideal, I couldn't get it to work with espxe. Final Doom PSX seems like it's got an interesting mix of levels too, 30 total I think from the Master Levels, TNT, and Plutonia. Probably not as many as Doom PSX because the maps are much larger.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@nightrnr, Yeah, LAN or XBL co-op started in Halo 3. Split screen same console before then.

XLink Kai simulates LAN so even though you're online, it's basically long distance multiplayer LAN parties. While online, the Micrsoft XBL servers are cut out the picture. Pretty cool concept. I'd love testing out xDoom over the net with someone. I just ordered up PS2 SOCOM II as it still has an active Xlink community online as well. Something about the novelty of getting these old consoles online with other passion players is awesome.

Let me know how the Halo CE playthrough goes with the nephew. I've beaten it twice... this year 8) ... such a great game.

Regarding system link, was watching a convention video and saw 2 Jaguars running Doom on system link. Would love to try that one as well. Back in the day, this assumed you had a Jaguar, you had a friend, then you had a friend with a Jaguar, with Doom and a link cable. That scenario gets more and more unlikely :wink:

Side note, always wanted to play the PS1 Command & Conquer games with link cable. Played the mess out of Red Alert on PS1 back then. I didn't know the link cable was even a think in its prime.

@Xeo, PW saves aren't a huge deal breaker. I just snap a pic of the screen with my cell phone. I went to go back up photos from an old cell and had so many Saturn Doom PW pics :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

So I started playing Doom 3 for the first time earlier. Only got about 15/20 mins in or so, so can't really judge o much yet, but it's a shame it doesn't get straight into the action like the other Doom games...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Ack

Post by Ack »

Welcome to Doom 3, the most underwhelming of the series. That's not to say it doesn't have its value, but it doesn't feel anything like the rest of the DOOM games.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Doom 3 seemed to want to be a horror/atmosphere game as much as an action game, and I really would have preferred if it had stuck to action. I think the creepy atmosphere is great, but there are too many "monster closets" and too much switching between weapon and flash light. I know BFG edition, and also an earlier mod, sort of addressed the latter issue, but still. I feel like Doom 3 could have been a stronger sequel to the original Doom's legacy. Doom 2016 understood Doom in a way Doom 3 did not.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:Doom 3 seemed to want to be a horror/atmosphere game as much as an action game, and I really would have preferred if it had stuck to action. I think the creepy atmosphere is great, but there are too many "monster closets" and too much switching between weapon and flash light. I know BFG edition, and also an earlier mod, sort of addressed the latter issue, but still. I feel like Doom 3 could have been a stronger sequel to the original Doom's legacy. Doom 2016 understood Doom in a way Doom 3 did not.

I have the same issue with Quake 4. It feels like it and Doom 3 are suffering an identity crisis, though the Strog-ification section of Quake 4 is certainly a highlight. But these games feel of their generation, when FPS was moving into consoles and "realism", which led to some growing pains.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think Quake 4 did a better job than Doom 3, in that they weren't so into the "gamers want darkness" thing. The weapons were still a bit anemic, but not as bad as Doom 3's were.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:I think Quake 4 did a better job than Doom 3, in that they weren't so into the "gamers want darkness" thing. The weapons were still a bit anemic, but not as bad as Doom 3's were.

Yeah, I attribute that to Doom 3 having come first. id tried to learn from their mistakes, and while it wasn't perfect, it didn't have the same level of problems. And the BFG edition of Doom 3 clears up some of the issues there too, so it tells me that even during the "bad" years, id was still listening and learning.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Hopefully Reprise is playing the BFG edition.

I like Doom 3 a lot, but yeah it's flawed like Quake 4, Rage... etc.

Doom 3 is like better compared to Bioshock honestly and it has tremendous atmosphere/sound design that holds up really well, along with the engine still looking pretty sexy with the BFG edition. But yeah, "Bioshock" isn't what one would normally expect going into Doom haha. Doom 64 is arguably a more "true" Doom 3, same formula as the originals but with a complete facelift.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I think Quake 4 did a better job than Doom 3, in that they weren't so into the "gamers want darkness" thing. The weapons were still a bit anemic, but not as bad as Doom 3's were.

Yeah, I attribute that to Doom 3 having come first. id tried to learn from their mistakes, and while it wasn't perfect, it didn't have the same level of problems. And the BFG edition of Doom 3 clears up some of the issues there too, so it tells me that even during the "bad" years, id was still listening and learning.

Id wasn't really responsible for Quake 4, it was Raven.

Doom 3 is a quality game, and was a beautiful game for its time, but it's not really "Doom." It's a Doom themed survival horror game. You really have to go into it with that in mind or you're going to hate it.

I'm just glad they aborted their original Doom 4 concept as it looked like it was shaping up to be a bit of a train wreck. As much as people want to rightfully crap on Bethesda for their current shenanigans, they took a big risk letting Id cancel that game and essentially start over.