The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
MrPopo

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by MrPopo »

Actually, according to Romero this was the intended way to get the secret. An engine quirk meant you couldn't collect it normally (which is "fixed" in source ports), and this was the way they came up with for you to get it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Can we believe Romero? :P
marurun

Post by marurun »

Why not? Romero seems a pretty straight-up dude.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Oh, I dig him. This secret is just so crazy is seems like a weird error if anything but he took credit for it right away. Maybe it was an intentional crazy secret or not haha.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The Spectre!

So lately I've been playing Doom PSX, it finally clicked with me. This port is fascinating. Playing this port really evokes a nostalgic magic like I'm playing Doom back in the mid 90's... the gamepad controls are pretty ideal but still sluggish and slower than what we've become accustomed to, so it's like re-learning things a bit as you would back then. The aspect ratio is slightly off, giving it a strange personality. Tons of pixelated grit and some depth distortion in long hallways or rooms seeing things at a distance. All these little elements are part of the recipe of making it feel so magical and old school in a cool way.

It sports completely new sounds and the dark atmospheric music also heard in Doom 64. There's new lightning in some areas that give even the classic maps kind of a new flavor. The arrangement of the map order in some spots, maps missing, or exclusive ones, etc, make it really interesting to get through.

The Spectre is a new enemy, it's not a simple cloaked pinky or anything. The Spectre is way stronger and takes a lot more hits, like 5 shotgun blasts.

I'm loving it. I think this map I beat last night really showcases the uniqueness and vibes of this awesome port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktR9a1O9u0k

Video showing off the first few maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TYMI6gD19Y
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I really dig the PSX port also. Runs well, looks nice, and atmospheric music is well done. Was so confused when I saw the Spectre though :lol:

Refresh my memory:

Shoulder buttons strafe, correct? That alone gives it a huge jump over Jaguar.

Memory card saves? I remember my choppy Saturn port using long PW saves.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I got a copy of the PS1 version a while back. I have two PS1's, one chipped, and a link cable. At least once, I want to play multiplayer with two linked consoles.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I have 2 PSIO equipped Playstation's but no link cable (yet). I need to try that sometime with Doom and a few others.

Of course, I think my nephews might appreciate system linking Halo 1/2 more. Haven't experimented with that yet.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:I have 2 PSIO equipped Playstation's but no link cable (yet). I need to try that sometime with Doom and a few others.

Of course, I think my nephews might appreciate system linking Halo 1/2 more. Haven't experimented with that yet.

Danggg. 2 PSIOs!? Like a boss.

Well... you could LAN system link Halo 1 or 2 with me over the internet (on OG oXbox or 360).
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52354

Worth noting Xlink also supports oXbox homebrew port of DoomX. We could get some multiplayer Doom going over the net also. 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Jagosaurus wrote:Danggg. 2 PSIOs!? Like a boss.

Well... you could LAN system link Halo 1 or 2 with me over the internet (on OG oXbox or 360).
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=52354

Worth noting Xlink also supports oXbox homebrew port of DoomX. We could get some multiplayer Doom going over the net also. 8)

Yep, I am pretty nutz when it comes to these things. Just got lucky with the PSIO's early on. Glad I have them though as it allowed me to troubleshoot compatibility a bit.
They should be more available in the near future though.

As far as online play, I don't do that much. It's a possibility in the future, but I really do owe it to a certain nephew to play through Halo co-op 1st (not a System link option apparently).

And about Doom, I am embarrassed to admit that I am still trying to beat Doom 2. I was midway through the PC version (via PS2 homebrew) and approaching the end on Saturn port (yes, I have it on PS1 and yet playing on Saturn, go figure). But Doom gaming is kind of on hold for now.

Really I'm just more of a solo gamer though. My only foray into online gaming was with a friend in Diablo II (which only wet my appetite to play through on my own) and a few battles in Street Fighter IV.
Open to the possibilities in the future, just not now. Thanks for the prospects.
...just another lost soul...