What horror game are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: What horror game are you playing?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

FYI for those who hadn't heard (I didn't find out about it until I just stumbled on it on Amazon this morning), Outlast Trinity is coming out in April for Xbox One and PS4. It's got Outlast, Outlast: Whistleblower, and Outlast II on disc.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The season approaches. Anyone gearing up for some horror gaming soon?

I was wanting to get the Xbox versions of Silent Hill 2 / 4 and Fatal Frame 2 for some replays, but haven't gotten around to it. I might replay Dead Space for the hundredth time though, this time the PC version. One of my all time favorites. I could probably burn through 2 as well.

Still have Obscure that I need to check out. Get Even and Observer (Layers of Fear devs) both caught my eye on Steam as well recently.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:The season approaches. Anyone gearing up for some horror gaming soon?

I'd like to beat at least two horror games in October.

There's a 3DS eShop game that supposedly will release in October, I'll try it if it does:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/01/ho ... c-and-3ds/

There's also a Vita horror game I'm interested in:

https://www.amazon.com/Yomawari-Midnigh ... 071VKKV6K/

As far as classic horror gaming is concerned, a few weeks I ago I was playing through the original Silent Hill, trying to beat it for the first time. I made it up to the hospital and got distracted. I can understand why Silent Hill was important for its time. But even when I played the game when it originally debuted, I got bored with it and stopped playing. I just don't find the original Silent Hill fun or addicting at all, although I do respect its ambition. Maybe I'll get back to it this October and finish my playthrough. I'm much more interested in Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3, but wanted to have the first game done before playing through those. I also need to play through the Fatal Frame games.

Honestly I've never prioritized the survival horror genre, outside the Resident Evil series at least. It's not that I find horror games lesser, they just don't appeal to me as much as other genres. That said, I do beat a few horror games every year. This year I've beaten Tormentum - Dark Sorrow and Miasmata so far. The scariest horror game I've beaten in a while was The Lost Crown last year.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I played Silent Hill 1 for the first time just a few years ago and it blew me away. But I'll admit, I have no problem playing these games on Easy. They aren't Shinji Mikami / Capcom where RE feels amazing and fun mechanically, but Silent Hill beats those out in terms of story and atmosphere. It's more about the journey. Silent Hill 2 is basically a religious experience, I've ran through that one three times since I marathoned the franchise a few years back.

It would be best to knock out 1 before 3 if you can, since they're directly related. But from there they're all stand alone and each have their own spin on the "otherworld". I like the Hellraiser evil hell otherworld from 1 and 3 the best, the creepiest by far. But it's fascinating what 2 does with those ideas. 4 is just utterly one of the most bizarre worlds and stories I've seen in gaming, it might have even been my favorite if the gameplay was like the first three. I still love it though and Akira Yamaoka went for something different with the music. It was more like a mystery thriller and piecing together the story was awesome. Can't praise these four enough. One and done for the rest and Shattered Memories is horrendous. Origins is fine if you like the first three since it plays the same.

If Silent Hill doesn't work for you I don't know how Fatal Frame would either. The first has aged quite a bit, it's extremely cryptic as well. Really rough in the design department. 2 is amazing though and very refined, I replayed it a few years ago and was shocked at how well it holds up... easily one of the best in the genre. I couldn't finish 3 though, the pacing wasn't good. Nintendo hasn't made it easy to play the rest.

I'm not even sure what the "scariest" game I've played would be. When I think of Silent Hill I think "cool", haha. I guess Silent Hill 2 and SOMA got me "thinking" the most though, so they hit deep.

This trailer / intro for Silent Hill 4 is so damn good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBXIBXPWQA
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Silent Hill beats those out in terms of story and atmosphere.

I agree with you on that. Silent Hill has some amazing lighting and particle effects given its platform. Its atmosphere is tremendous even today. I just wish the gameplay was actually fun.

>I like the Hellraiser evil hell otherworld from 1 and 3 the best, the creepiest by far.

I definitely got that Clive Barker feel from the original SH.

>I don't know how Fatal Frame would either.

Well I've got FF1 and FF2 on Xbox, FF3 of course on PS3. I remember trying FF1 many years ago, but I quit playing because I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do. It is "cryptic" as you describe. I still think the base concept for the FF games is cool. And don't forget about the 3DS FF, Spirit Camera. I should definitely play that this October. Should be goofy fun with all its AR stuff.

>I'm not even sure what the "scariest" game I've played would be.

The Lost Crown wouldn't be the scariest I've played, just that I've played lately. I think the most freaked out I ever got with a game, was playing the original Thief back around ~2001. The two missions where you deal with the Cathedral, just creeping around in the dark with all the various ghosts and monsters. I don't know if it would scare me today, but 16 some odd years ago that was some spooky stuff.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, that's why I threw out the Easy thing... are you playing Silent Hill 1 on Easy? To make it more fun perhaps. I can tell you that one had the most obnoxious enemy types by far, the flying bat things, the dogs, and those weird babies or something in the school. The first game also feels a bit funny in how forced the bosses come off, "oh yeah it's a game we need bosses I think!?" But I liked how creepy and obtuse the designs were. Then there's the eerie siren. Whenever I beat a boss, I didn't know whether to feel relieved or worried. All this stuff is handled much better in the rest, it's also easier to run away from enemies in the others... which I think is very effective in the creep factor because it makes you wonder, is that THING still following me? Where did it go? Feels tense in its own way and not really game-like as the RE's come off or something. I like how melee is the main focus in these games as well, so you're forced to get up close with THINGS if you have to.

Just wait until you get to the PS2 games though, they look amazing even next to modern games. Crazy how skilled Team Silent were in the art/tech areas. That's a big perk to the horror genre, lighting, shadows, and darkness used effectively can mask some dated elements and make games age incredibly well.

"Getting stuck" in Fatal Frame 1 is its middle name haha. There is a lot of backtracking in that one mansion, tons of triggered events and just, yeah it was kind of taxing when I revisited it. Tons of great memories playing these with friends back in the day though. It's funny we got stuck on 2 and never beat it, when I had a much easier time going through that one years later.

Thief has that dense atmosphere for sure. I saw there's a mod for Deadly Shadows that somehow merges the maps together, so less loading times. Sounds like a recipe for crashes, but maybe it's fine. I like the first two the most by far, but I think about the third game a lot too and loved it. I think because it had the best music. This one too.

I was listening to this before looking up the Thief tunes. May as well be the same universe... but Thief has that awesome Deus Ex thing going on where it seems like that world doesn't have a sun and I love that.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

My wife and I are planning a game night weekly in October we are calling Spooky Tuesday. I know we have Limbo on tap but still finalizing the list.

Also planning RE6 with a buddy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Spooky Tuesday...

...RE6

Co-op RE6 is probably a lot of fun though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't actually understand your post.

"Spooky Tuesday" is going to be a weekly game night for me and my wife. Besides Limbo we haven't decided what we're playing. Though I assume that at least one night will be another chapter of Revelations 2.

Resident Evil 6 has nothing to do with "Spooky Tuesday" or my wife. A friend of mine mentioned wanting to play a co-op game next month so after bouncing a few suggestions back and forth we mostly settled on RE6. For me it's cool because it's the only numbered title I haven't played at all.

But also... weren't you the one that told me numerous times that you liked 6 a lot and I should play it? Or am I remembering that wrong?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Your post read like that was part of the plan. Yes I like RE6 just fine (don't think I ever said a LOT), it's just not a horror game in any capacity and pure action. So me mistakenly thinking that it's part of your Spooky Tuesday thing sounded funny.