A Far Cry of a thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: A Far Cry of a thread

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Far Cry 3 is a decent game if you ignore the story and the fact that 2 exists. :P

I didn't care much for 3 Dave but I think you should play it still. I think you'll probably enjoy it more than I did that's for certain.

Far Cry 2 is an excellent game with a few big issues. I recommend those on PC play it with the realism mod. I also recommend you avoid the PS3/360 releases if you can.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Why are the lines by the characters in FC2 being read so fast?!

Do we not acknowledge periods?!
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I have a new map out on Far Cry 4 PS4, called A Day at Hope Ave. Its a Zombie Outbreak Assault Type Map, resources are thin and surviving is tough but it's based off where I grew up at in Staten Island. I frequent another dedicated forum to Far Cry that I'm posting most of my stuff there and will be putting up a mini guide to completing this particular map since it's pretty tough due to feedback I've received.

@casterofdreams this is right up your alley ;)

I'm thinking of posting my custom maps here on RB to keep anyone who's interested informed on my latest Far Cry Levels, Mods you have any suggestions under which thread I can start this topic so I'm in the right section? (I seen the creators corner and thought there)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

DAMNIT!

I would have loved to play that map but I have the PS3 version...

Such is life.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-best-far ... 1680319871

Cementing my continued disinterest in playing FC3 and FC4 :lol:
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

dsheinem wrote:http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-best-far-cry-game-1680319871

Cementing my continued disinterest in playing FC3 and FC4 :lol:

Also cementing the status of FC2 being the hipster's Far Cry. :P

But seriously, it is one of those games who's actual quality can only be determined with time. There was no way that it would have been considered the best Far Cry in 2008, being compared to both the original Far Cry and Crysis.

P.S., the original Far Cry is the best one. It's the closest thing to the original Half Life I've ever played, even more than Half Life 2. I really don't understand why it receives the least love out of the whole series. Essentially it is forgotten, sort of like Civilization 3 or Call of Duty 1.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I liked Call of Duty 1. Who knew that it would turn out to be the franchise that it is today.

I need to continue Far Cry 2 again. I took a break from it.

I still think FC 3 and 4 are better, more polished, more engaging experiences. There are more things to do. I like doing things that fill a progression meter up. Side quests, collecting things, outposts that don't respawn, etc, etc.

Now my issues, broken up for easy replys:

Based on the 7 or so hours (add another 7 for past attempts) of playing FC2, there isn't more to do outside of the main story and the forced Maleria Pill quests.

A number of things bother me.

The gun play doesn't feel good. I feel like it lacks power or punch. Silenced weapons are worthless because "lulz stealth". The jaming doesn't bother me though especially because I found a golden AK (3000 rounds).

The respawning outposts are by far the biggest issue I have. I take out an outpost and go do something and on the way back, a minute or so later, its full of bad guys. That makes no sense. I understand the concept of difficulty but a game in 2008, billed as an FPS in "the real world", that adopts a concept from the older Metroidvania games of the NES and SNES era is annoying as hell.

The forcing of Maleria Pill side quests are also pretty annoying, though to a lesser degree. Hey its a cool concept on paper and believe it or not I have not had an episode during gun fights but there should be other ways to obtain the pills.

You don't have to take a pill after the first episode and you can prolong the pill for two or three episodes but after the third you have to take a pill. If you hold off on taking the pill and get hurt you have to take the pill because they are mapped to the same button.

Africa is lifeless.

Finding diamonds is tedious. I wish it would ping rather than just a visual aid. There are times it glitches out and stays solid on the GPS.

Edit: adding another issue:

Stealth. This game it is not. Fine I understand that. Like I mentioned before a silenced weapon is worthless because even if you hide with the stealth suit on (waste of diamonds) you are still spotted. If you manage to stay hidden and use a knife to kill someone while maintaining stealth it will take two knife hits for a kill and on the first hit you alert everyone two city blocks away. You would think in a dense jungle you can act like a "predator" picking off targets. Nope!

I'm ready for the criticism.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Is it just me, or does co-op on FC4 make things way too easy?
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

foxhound1022 wrote:Is it just me, or does co-op on FC4 make things way too easy?

This is true the coop was just tacked on, and probably with no play testing or balancing. Good news is they did update and patch the ability to play coop on user made maps. So if you have a ps4 and want to experience some of Far Cry 4 greatest maps your gonna have to friend me. Now that the patch is active I will be releasing a map per month specifically for coop goodness, ubi is already aware that me and my team are boss at the level editor (I have about 10 years map making experience with FC editors).
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

The buzzsaw machinegun makes things too easy, seriously this game is ridiculously broken, it has an obscene magazine size and fire rate and kills everything in just a couple bullets even heavy armored guys. I also agree with co-op making the game way to easy, I played the first time alone and now I'm playing again with my best friend and we try to take the outposts silently but he almost always ends up getting spotted but it isn't a big deal because I have so much firepower with light machineguns and automatic grenade launchers and that MIRV Rocket Launcher that nothing is a real threat to us, and if one of us does die it isn't a big deal because as long as one is still alive the other will respawn right next to him in 15 seconds.