Grand Theft Auto V

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by casterofdreams »

You get a sub at no additional cost if you purchase the abandoned dock on the western part of the map. Buy the docks with Michael as he's got a specific mission with him and the dock. The dock costs $250K I think.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I knew about the dock, I just don't have nearly that much $ in the game yet. But I am now having fun going back through the story, so yeah, I'll just plan to buy the dock once I can.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I gotcha. Well enjoy. I plan on going through the game again soon after o go through IV again.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

made some solid progress on the story. I got through the solo Travis stuff before he meets back up w/ Michael. I kind of feel like that part of the game is a slog. Blowing up the meth lab, invading the biker gang's trailer park and all that. Ugh. Just so much less interesting than the stuff you get to do w/ Franklin and Michael before it. At any rate, now I've got all 3 dudes playable and I'm now aiming to get to the mission that allows me to buy the sonar dock so I get my submarine on.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

noiseredux wrote:made some solid progress on the story. I got through the solo Travis stuff before he meets back up w/ Michael. I kind of feel like that part of the game is a slog. Blowing up the meth lab, invading the biker gang's trailer park and all that. Ugh. Just so much less interesting than the stuff you get to do w/ Franklin and Michael before it. At any rate, now I've got all 3 dudes playable and I'm now aiming to get to the mission that allows me to buy the sonar dock so I get my submarine on.

https://youtu.be/EnGc3mPkZ38?t=100

You can watch 15 seconds of it, it's spoiler free
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so continuing to work my way through the story. I left off at the Scouting The Docks mission last night, as it got too late and I had to stop playing. This is an interesting place to leave off for two reasons: 1. because it was my least favorite mission in the game by a long margin, and 2. because it was where I left off when originally playing the story on PC due to a nasty bug that impeded any further progress.

If you don't know the mission I'm talking about, this one involves using cranes and other utility vehicles to pick up boxes from point A on a dock and moving them to point B on the dock. It's so slow and tedious and bullshit. Worse is that I try to rush through the tedium which causes me to botch something and I'll have to start over. It's so annoying.

I also get a strong Shenmue vibe from this mission and I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. It could be homage; it could be parody. Or it could just be that Shenmue's DNA is just ever present in modern games like GTA (or Yakuza or so on).

Oh! But I should mention that I was thrilled to snap some screen shots of the drug trip that Michael goes on. I LOVE that part of the game. And I had forgotten that prior to the skyfall there's an alien abduction hallucination. So these screenshots go into my X-Files sigh-seeing scrapbook.

Anyway, with any luck I'll soon be advancing the story beyond what I've seen previously.

Last edited by noiseredux on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright, I'm now officially the furthest I've ever been in the proper story missions. I stole a submarine and a chopper to get ready for the heist on the shipping dock.

QUESTION: The game suggests that I have Michael go take some flying lessons beforehand. Is this time well spent or...?

BTW, I love when you switch to a character and catch them in a weird moment. I caught Michael having night terrors. It was weird.

Anyway, next up on my agenda - 1. Complete the heist, 2. Buy the sonar dock, 3. Go looking for UFO wreckage off the coast of Blaine County.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I decided that flight school was a good idea, but then I got frustrated with some of the tricks you had to pull off so I quit. I went off and did the heist and of course the most difficult parts involved flying haha. Like just plucking the submarine out of the water was tricky as it requires you hover above it and be pretty damn precise. Oh well, after a few tries I pulled it off.

Once the heist was over it was finally time... I went and purchased the sonar dock; boarded my newly acquired sub and set my navigation system to where I believed the alien wreckage would be. It took me a little while to get there, and of course the coordinates aren't precise so I just had to kind of snoop around the general area. And then suddenly I spotted it. Right below me a large circular structure started to take shape. I immediately knew that this was no natural structure. I got out and swam around the ship. It was quiet and serene and borderline creepy.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

YES!!! All that hard worked paid off! Keep it up!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

thanks dude. And actually it feels good to now be out of the story sections that I had previously played and be seeing new stuff. I'll likely focus on GTA5 at least until Railway Empire comes out at the end of the month along with whatever I'll be playing for TR next month.

That said that it occurs to me at this point that there's some other UFO related stuff that I could go off and investigate before continuing on with the story. Let's be honest, between finishing all 69 story missions and then attempting all the other side stuff to get a 100% save file, it's going to probably take me months before I can get to the hardcore UFO's. So it might be smart to try to pepper in some of the other stuff here and there and spread this out.

So let's see...

I know there's that weird statue or mural or whatever out in the desert that has alien drawings on it. And there's a side mission that involves collecting parts from the crashed UFO. I'm probably forgetting some stuff.