RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ziggy587

Re: The DOOM Thread

by Ziggy587 Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:16 pm

RCBH928 wrote:I just deleted my DOOM installation

DOOM 2016, right? Not sure why anyone would delete DOOM from their computer on purpose...
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I just deleted my DOOM installation

DOOM 2016, right? Not sure why anyone would delete DOOM from their computer on purpose...

no, the original dooms . I played everything including some map replays with brutal doom. I thought I was done with it.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:37 pm

RCBH928 wrote:no, the original dooms . I played everything including some map replays with brutal doom. I thought I was done with it.

No one is ever done with DOOM. Those words don't make any sense to me!

There so many excuses to replay DOOM, aside from it just being a blast to play. Did you play on UV? Then try Nightmare. You can try and go for 100% kills/items/secrets on each level. You can try and go for a low in-game time, and replay to try and get a personal best. You can try and pistol start each level.

Besides, my DOOM setup isn't worth deleting. I use a modern source port, gzdoom, which doesn't get installed so it's not even worth deleting. I would save all my WADs for backup anyway, so being that they don't have to be individually installed I can just launch them whenever I please.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:08 pm

I see where you are coming from, but life is too short to spend all on one game, there are other things to explore. Hexen is up next for me most likely.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:18 pm

Skipping Heretic? Because Heretic is very much worth a playthrough.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:58 pm

wait... I got confused. I will be playing heretic and not hexen because I heard hexen is more of a puzzle and I am not up for running around for hours trying to figure out which button does what.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri May 06, 2022 8:16 pm

I tried playing heretic in its original form and got some seriously mushy graphics. The way something like GZDOOM displays the graphics is something closer to what I remember. I can't tell what the difference is exactly though, lower resolution? Was the mushy graphics how it originally looked? Attached screenshot from Quake to explain what I mean. You can't even tell the gun from the wall.

This is in the DOOM thread because this also goes for DOOM, which is what Heretic is based on, and the app is actually called gzDOOM
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:08 am

MyHouse.wad
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat May 27, 2023 10:23 am

Someone made FastDoom, which is DOOM made to run as fast as possible on a 386 or 486.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74886

From the above link...

The main differences between the original Doom and FastDoom are these (as of version 0.4):

Added FPS ingame viewer. Enabled with "-fps"
Added FPS calculation after timedemo runs
Added option to render visplanes (ceiling and floors) without textures. Enable with "-flatsurfaces"
Added option to render Spectres and invisible objects like real transparent objects (harder to see, a little faster to render). Enable with "-flatshadows"
Added option to render sky as a flat fixed color. Enable with "-flatsky"
Added option to render Spectre and invisible objects like the Sega Saturn port did. Enable with "-saturn"
New option to show only objects that are not far away from the player. All the enemies are still rendered as they're important. Enabled with "-near"
PC Speaker uses all sounds available (just for fun!)
Lot's of optimizations to make the game run faster / smoother
Removed low memory limit (may cause crashes with low RAM)
NEW DETAIL LEVEL: POTATO. It renders the full scene with a quarter width resolution (max 80x200). 16-bit ISA video cards can play the game full screen much better!! My Western Digital Paradise PVGA1A ISA (1989) can render the game at a constant >25 fps with a 486DX-50. Enabled with "-potato" command parameter and low detail selected
New option to allow more than 8Mb of memory allocation. Enabled with "-ram"
Removed network gaming support
Removed joystick support
Removed Y mouse movement (move forward/backwards)
Added autorun support (F11 key).
Added mono sound support. Enabled with "-mono" parameter.
Added low quality sound support (8000Hz instead of 11025Hz). Enabled with "-lowsound" parameter.
Replaced DOS/4GW with DOS/32A providing a good speedup!
Removed gamma correction support
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 pm

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Other Genres