Cuphead

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Cuphead

Post by fastbilly1 »

So is anyone else playing an incredible boss rush game that is worth the difficulty.

Someone converted the signal down to an f connector and ran it on a BW tv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcYW9dTAUw
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Cuphead

Post by noiseredux »

a few guys have been posting about it in the Xbox One thread.

I think it LOOKS great visually, but after watching an actual stream of it last night, I don't really think it's my kind of game so much. Probably something I'd check out if deeply discounted, though.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

You are just scared of how difficult it is.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Cuphead is sort of how I imagined video games in the future would be when I was a little kid. I probably thought realism was too sci-fi and just assumed 2D games would keep evolving until it looked like you were literally controlling a cartoon.

Anyway it's a wonderful game that takes classic run'n gun elements and gives you inventive boss fights and absolutely stunning visuals. It's difficult but the format of having boss encounters (the main attraction) and run'n gun segments be separate things keeps the frustration level down and keeps you going, "one more try," as you get a little bit better at dodging the patterns each time.

It controls well and feels good which is the important thing and the thing I was most worried about when watching videos since often games with great animation tend to have a sluggish feel. I'm pleased to say that didn't happen here at all.

The game is mostly a boss rush, like a 1930's version of Alien Soldier, which I wasn't entirely sold on at first but having played it and seen the artistry they put into these encounters I can't say I'm disappointed.

I also love big band jazz so that helps.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

There's also the fact that some of the bosses are shmup bosses, complete with some bullet-hell style dodging through a curtain of fire as the game goes on. I've also noticed there are actually two difficulty settings, but one is hidden. The one you see is chosen on the select level screen, between easy and normal. But the second difficulty setting is whether or not you use the Charge shot equipment.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I started it a little bit a few days ago. Digging it!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

MrPopo wrote:I've also noticed there are actually two difficulty settings, but one is hidden. The one you see is chosen on the select level screen, between easy and normal. But the second difficulty setting is whether or not you use the Charge shot equipment.

Haha, Charge is a beastly weapon. I wasn't getting anywhere on one boss, bought the charge gun, eviscerated him.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I beat it on normal mode tonight. I'm not sure if I will attempt hard mode. I don't think I will have the patience for it. I already had a taste of that playing co-op with my 7 year old. :lol:

Overall I am extremely pleased with the game despite the difficulty. I may go back and try to A+ some of the levels. And then there is doing all the run n gun levels without firing a shot.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I say good luck to you on pacifist. The first run and gun I beat in area 3 seems neigh impossible to pull that off on due to the enemy placements.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

All you need is smoke bomb to do a pacifist run. That and some expert-level dodging. You have to take a few hits to get through some of the wider enemies but it is very doable.