Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Post by ZeroAX »

So today I finally completed Donkey Kong Country 3 on the SNES (103%), the first time I manage that with a physical copy of the game 8) . I'm pretty proud of myself, I really enjoyed it, and the game was ACE.

I know it catches a lot of flack from people about being the "ugly sibling" of the original trilogy (for me that title belongs to DKC1, but I'm not going to bash a game so many people have so much nostalgia for :P) but I think people are just being unfair to it. Yes I think DKC2 has slightly better level design, but this game isn't far behind, and I think the themes of the levels are really nice, specially that boardwalk on the lake one.

Lastly both Kongs play differently and are useful in different situations, not to mention DKC3 has many nice puzzles where you must use the "throwing each other" mechanic, which the other 2 games didn't use that much (actually I think DKC1 didn't even have that mechanic, right?). Also the DK coins are also a platforming puzzle now and that adds extra fun for me :). Having to find the DK Coin kremling, the iron barrel and then use it to kill it :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0tz3ePbo0M

Now I'm thinking of just doing a speed run of the levels, no bonus barrels or DK coins. But I also have a physical copy of DKC2 that isn't completed yet, so maybe that will come first :P (I've completed DKC2 3 times though on other platforms so I'll see if I feel like doing it again....oh who am I kidding, I just love DKC 2 and 3 too much :D).

Any other lovers of DKC3 here?
Last edited by ZeroAX on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Post by darsparx »

Well i used to own all three on the gba(but have since lost dkc3 sadly). Honestly I really enjoy dkc3 I've played all of them(though not beaten....only got them because of my dad back then). They're all great games in their own rights. I don't think I can really compare them to each other thug they each feel like different games compared to one another to some extent even though they're part of the same series(kinda like how final fantasy and the tales series run, most except obvious sequels aren't alike at all besides a few key elements). Now thanks to you I really need to figure out what happened to that game and go for a run through the dries and beat it :lol: forgot I had that classic series in my collection until after i put all my portable games in the coin sleeves thing in a binder. I should've put that on my summer challenge list...ah well :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

DKC3....on the GBA.....

Just compare the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXgLQqYLj1M //btw this guy is using an emulator with a lot of slowdown in the game's framerate, it runs really smooth on the SNES

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DZaMwIgsXkM#t=130
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

I think all three of the SNES are great and are up there with being some of the best platformers on the system - not sure why anyone would hate the third one.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Attempted it on GBA for the first time the other week. Didn't care for it. Made it to the level where monkeys throw their shit at you and turned it off.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I never understood why so many people seem to dislike the third one. I think the best way to put it is that all three games are amazing. Rating them against each other is kind of pointless. I've always like the third one. Even though I like the second one a little more than the other two, all three are three of my all time favorite games.

I've only ever 100%'ed the third one (or 103% or whatever it is) using the cheat to get all the bonus coins. I've been meaning to replay all three games again, and 100% them without any cheating.

Has any one ever played the game on hard mode? I've never tried it, but apparently you can enter a code to make the game more challenging. Then there's another code that takes out DK barrels and apparently allows you to get 105% and a different ending.

http://www.gamewinners.com/snes/DonkeyKongCountry3.htm
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Ziggy587 wrote:Has any one ever played the game on hard mode? I've never tried it, but apparently you can enter a code to make the game more challenging. Then there's another code that takes out DK barrels and apparently allows you to get 105% and a different ending.

http://www.gamewinners.com/snes/DonkeyKongCountry3.htm

I think the game is too long and requires a lot of dedication to do that. I'm just happy I completed it in normal mode :).

Funny, I think the first game I ever completed was Donkey Kong Land 3 :D
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

ZeroAX wrote:DKC3....on the GBA.....

Just compare the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXgLQqYLj1M //btw this guy is using an emulator with a lot of slowdown in the game's framerate, it runs really smooth on the SNES

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DZaMwIgsXkM#t=130

Say what you will about the gba versions but:

1.) as a kid I didn't know what a snes was
2.) it's still fun(though I do wish I had the originals now and I will attempt to get them but it's nice having them on the go, they feel like portable games anyways so it makes sense ;) )

Plus I haven't played it in forever and will have to attempt to either find it, or buy a new one....there are tons of games in my gba library that I have to rebuy because they've disappeared and dkc3 among summon night 1 and the whole megaman battle network series is right at the top of that list :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I'm not bashing it because of the worse graphics (on a 32-bit system :/), but because they changed the music and the new songs don't fit the levels AT ALL.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Donkey Kong 3 is the best in the classic trilogy by a decent margin. I love the first two aswell, but 3 is just so polished feeling and I love it.

I've not played the newer ones, but I've not been impressed by what I've seen. They look like good games, but don't seem to really play much like the SNES ones.