Super Metroid

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Super Metroid

Post by ZeroAX »

How do you guys feel about the lack of a quick travel option? I think it's something that I will warm up to, since it seems that the more powers samus unlocks, the easier to become to go quickly back and forth. But right now I just feel a bit annoyed that I have to backtrack a lot through the same parts.

But that's probably also me sucking at the game. I didn't keep any notes of the parts I needed a new ability to move ahead, and because I have enough free time to game 1-2 times a week, I forget the places I haven't fully explored yet, and end up having to go almost everywhere :'( .
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Metroid has always been about exploring things the hard way. No fast travel. That said, they do often provide shortcuts once you have expanded abilities. There are also often secret places you can roll through to skip tedious sections when backtracking once you've already been through them. Super Metroid, like the original Metroid, is more about exploration than combat. Metroid 2 was what heralded the shift to battle over exploration, and later Metroid titles cemented this change. Fusion, for example, is much more about fighting than exploring, though it does still manage to balance the two nicely.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, Super Metroid does a good job of giving shortcuts, but it also does a good job of leaving behind items you may have missed without a particular upgrade, so you can poke around and get more stuff. It's a good way to make the backtracking worthwhile.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Guys I swear to god I almost gave up on the entire game because I couldn't get past that part with the 3 creatures showing you how to wall jump. It took me like 15 minutes :evil: Please tell me there's no other need to wall jump in the rest of the game.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I don't recall it ever being required again, if so its at least infrequent.

Its something that felt really poor and inconsistent on my first visit, but once you get the hang of things, it actually becomes really easy to wall jump. From what I remember, it was mostly a button timing thing that I thought I was doing right, but wasn't. play around with it a bit and see if you can get it down. But either way you should be fine for the rest of the game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ZeroAX wrote:Guys I swear to god I almost gave up on the entire game because I couldn't get past that part with the 3 creatures showing you how to wall jump. It took me like 15 minutes :evil: Please tell me there's no other need to wall jump in the rest of the game.

I think it might be helpful for a few power ups, but p. sure it's not essential after that.

For what it's worth, the timing is a little weird on it. Seems like you need to press away from the wall a split second before you jump, not push them both together from what I remember.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

It's funny because I hated the wall jump in Super Metroid but I learned to master it, so it was actually annoying when they made the wall jump better in later games because I was so used to the crappy one. :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

alienjesus wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:Guys I swear to god I almost gave up on the entire game because I couldn't get past that part with the 3 creatures showing you how to wall jump. It took me like 15 minutes :evil: Please tell me there's no other need to wall jump in the rest of the game.

I think it might be helpful for a few power ups, but p. sure it's not essential after that.

For what it's worth, the timing is a little weird on it. Seems like you need to press away from the wall a split second before you jump, not push them both together from what I remember.

That's exactly how it works; when you push away from the wall Samus goes into a pose like when you grapple onto the walls in Maridia. At that point you can jump to propel yourself off. But there's no stickiness to it, so half a second later you're away from the wall and can't jump.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

The problem I was having is that I couldn't get the timing right.

Push towards the wall, push against the wall, wait for a few frames, then jump.

I was pressing the direction against the wall and the jump button at the same time, way too many times. It's kind of a reflex I've developed from all the megaman x games I guess xD.

Gunstar Green wrote:It's funny because I hated the wall jump in Super Metroid but I learned to master it, so it was actually annoying when they made the wall jump better in later games because I was so used to the crappy one. :lol:

I had that with how I really masterred the wall jump in mario 64 and then they made it so easy in sunshine, taking away that feeling of being a pro :lol:
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

ZeroAX wrote:The problem I was having is that I couldn't get the timing right.

Push towards the wall, push against the wall, wait for a few frames, then jump.

I was pressing the direction against the wall and the jump button at the same time, way too many times. It's kind of a reflex I've developed from all the megaman x games I guess xD.

Gunstar Green wrote:It's funny because I hated the wall jump in Super Metroid but I learned to master it, so it was actually annoying when they made the wall jump better in later games because I was so used to the crappy one. :lol:

I had that with how I really masterred the wall jump in mario 64 and then they made it so easy in sunshine, taking away that feeling of being a pro :lol:

Speaking of which... how bout the wall jumping in Samus Returns? It's like they think gamers don't like to actually TRY.