Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
MrPopo

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

by MrPopo Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:55 pm

Saturn SotN is a big bugger and not as smooth technically. But it has Maria.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
opa
128-bit

by opa Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:45 pm

Can you start as Maria or is that an unlockable at the end?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:49 pm

I believe it's locked behind your system save having a game beaten flag; I'm not sure if there is a filename code that will let you do it early. All the videos I've seen have someone start a new file and choose from Richter/Alucard/Maria, but they clearly weren't starting from a clean state (some other file exists).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
opa
128-bit

by opa Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:06 pm

Ok thanks
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

by RobertAugustdeMeijer Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:09 pm

Order of Ecclesia is still my go-to. On hard mode, it's fairly exciting. And I like all the different weapons. I just wish the level design was sometimes a bit better.

Symphony's second half is boring. What it does have going for it is a sense of mystique: at times it's a bit esoteric and reminds me of Castlevania II.

And speaking of which: I loved how the sequel just lied to you and had those oddball solutions. Best parts are where there is nothing to be found, like the left half of the second dungeon, or the area beyond those falling rocks (why aren't they used anywhere else in the game?) and my favorite: the top right corner of the map, a marsh with an invisible staircase. It makes absolutely no sense! Uncanny stuff!
marurun

by marurun Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:51 pm

Maria is not a gated character on Saturn. She's selectable right from the start.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

by opa Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:18 pm

do y'all have a recommended saturn emulator?
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:38 pm

The Saturn port is definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the game!

Be sure to look into recent hacks, there are 3 of them. The first was a hack that made the game use the RAM cart and improved a few aspects like slightly quicker loading in some cases and quick access to the map (which is annoying in the vanilla game). Then an English translation came out! It sounds like it's fully translated at this point, and the hacker now plans to start on improvements. Then a THIRD hack dropped, aiming specifically at improvements like transparencies (the devs went for dithered stuff instead of true transparencies) but also partially translates the game as a consequence of the hacking. The RAM cart hack seems like it wont receive any more updates, but the second two mentioned hacks I think will still receive updates. Also, I'm oversimplifying what these hacks do, this is just a brief description of them.

But even the vanilla version of the game is worth playing if you're a fan of the game. It doesn't play or look as nice as the PS1 version, but it's still a fun playthrough.

marurun wrote:Maria is not a gated character on Saturn. She's selectable right from the start.

As is Richter (in the Saturn version).

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote:Symphony's second half is boring. What it does have going for it is a sense of mystique: at times it's a bit esoteric and reminds me of Castlevania II.

I like the second half. But there is one thing that always kind of annoyed me. The first half has unique music tracks for each area. Then the second half only has a few tracks that are each used for multiple areas. So to me, the music gets repetitive during the second half. At least "Lost Paintings" is an awesome track, and I never mind hearing that one multiple times.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
marurun

by marurun Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:58 pm

I love all the cool enemies in the second half, but navigating the upside-down castle is a pain. Jumps are often JUST too high for the double jump, requiring you use the jump boots or pop into mist or bat for just a moment. And the number of things that do percentage damage so you can’t level past them is annoying as well. Basically, movement in the latter half of the game is all about stops and starts and doesn’t feel fluid at all. So in all, a neat concept that overstays its welcome.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

by opa Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:10 am

yeah I got tired of walking on the ceiling so I looked at a map of where to find dracula just to end the game :lol:
Return to Platformers