Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
opa
128-bit

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

by opa Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:49 am

I'm not certain if it has been mentioned in this thread (or another) but I saw that CV: SotN is on the google play store for $3. Not a bad price.
Gucci
32-bit

by Gucci Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:17 pm

opa wrote:I'm not certain if it has been mentioned in this thread (or another) but I saw that CV: SotN is on the google play store for $3. Not a bad price.

Looks like iOS has it as well. Same price. Not bad honestly but That's a game I'd probably want to use a controller with. Get one of those clips to attached to an Xbox One controller or something.
I own too many hoodies jackets and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:33 pm

Gucci wrote:
opa wrote:I'm not certain if it has been mentioned in this thread (or another) but I saw that CV: SotN is on the google play store for $3. Not a bad price.

Looks like iOS has it as well. Same price. Not bad honestly but That's a game I'd probably want to use a controller with. Get one of those clips to attached to an Xbox One controller or something.

I've never liked a single Android port of a game that previously required a controller. The only games that work on a touchscreen are touch games with no d-pad. Everything else has felt awful to play. Sonic CD was my first Android game like this, and I regretted spending the few dollars almost immediately.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:41 am

I found the Cave mobile ports played well, but I'd say shmups in general are a fairly unique case that translates well.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:52 am

MrPopo wrote:I found the Cave mobile ports played well, but I'd say shmups in general are a fairly unique case that translates well.

Agree. I really like touch controls for shmups. Platformers on the other hand…
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:40 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I found the Cave mobile ports played well, but I'd say shmups in general are a fairly unique case that translates well.

Agree. I really like touch controls for shmups. Platformers on the other hand…

I think even then, I'd still much rather have a joystick or game pad. Thumbs just block too much of the screen for shooters to translate well to a phone. Maybe a tablet would be better, but only if there was dedicated space for the controls that didn't block bullets/ships coming from behind.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:47 pm

Never played the port of Sonic Cd. However, I have beaten VVVVVV and Another World on a phone so it is possible to have playable touchscreen controls for platformers. Granted, I'd probably connect a ps4 controller if I played SotN. More of a complex title.

Shmups feel right on a touch screen. You kinda dont even look at your ship after a while. You dodge naturally almost.
Gucci
32-bit

by Gucci Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:14 pm

Bless you for playing VVVVV on a touch screen. I know my hand/eye coordination skills (or lack thereof) would prevent me form playing that game without some sort of physical controls.
I own too many hoodies jackets and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Return to Platformers