Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
opa
128-bit

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

by opa Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:49 am

I'm not certain if it has been mentioned in this thread (or another) but I saw that CV: SotN is on the google play store for $3. Not a bad price.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:17 pm

opa wrote:I'm not certain if it has been mentioned in this thread (or another) but I saw that CV: SotN is on the google play store for $3. Not a bad price.

Looks like iOS has it as well. Same price. Not bad honestly but That's a game I'd probably want to use a controller with. Get one of those clips to attached to an Xbox One controller or something.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:33 pm

Gucci wrote:
opa wrote:I'm not certain if it has been mentioned in this thread (or another) but I saw that CV: SotN is on the google play store for $3. Not a bad price.

Looks like iOS has it as well. Same price. Not bad honestly but That's a game I'd probably want to use a controller with. Get one of those clips to attached to an Xbox One controller or something.

I've never liked a single Android port of a game that previously required a controller. The only games that work on a touchscreen are touch games with no d-pad. Everything else has felt awful to play. Sonic CD was my first Android game like this, and I regretted spending the few dollars almost immediately.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:41 am

I found the Cave mobile ports played well, but I'd say shmups in general are a fairly unique case that translates well.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:52 am

MrPopo wrote:I found the Cave mobile ports played well, but I'd say shmups in general are a fairly unique case that translates well.

Agree. I really like touch controls for shmups. Platformers on the other hand…
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:40 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I found the Cave mobile ports played well, but I'd say shmups in general are a fairly unique case that translates well.

Agree. I really like touch controls for shmups. Platformers on the other hand…

I think even then, I'd still much rather have a joystick or game pad. Thumbs just block too much of the screen for shooters to translate well to a phone. Maybe a tablet would be better, but only if there was dedicated space for the controls that didn't block bullets/ships coming from behind.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:47 pm

Never played the port of Sonic Cd. However, I have beaten VVVVVV and Another World on a phone so it is possible to have playable touchscreen controls for platformers. Granted, I'd probably connect a ps4 controller if I played SotN. More of a complex title.

Shmups feel right on a touch screen. You kinda dont even look at your ship after a while. You dodge naturally almost.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:14 pm

Bless you for playing VVVVV on a touch screen. I know my hand/eye coordination skills (or lack thereof) would prevent me form playing that game without some sort of physical controls.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
opa
128-bit

by opa Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:20 pm

So... SotN on Sega Saturn... worth checking out for a quick playthrough?
marurun

by marurun Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:54 pm

I think it's worth it. It has slowdown and more loading, but it also has some gameplay improvements. It's also an opportunity to be sad over what could have been (a competent port vs what we got).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Platformers